Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to my reg. Dr. and was told i was not fat enough!!!

:cake: Get this, I went to my reg. Dr. today for a checkup. I was talking to her about being banded, (by the way I am 5ft 51/2. and weigh 267.:cake: )

she tells me that I am nuts to even consider it because I am not heavy enough to even qualify for the band!:angry I continued to tell her that my BMI is 40 or higher, and as heavy as I am insurance doesn't have to have a health reason, my weight is enough.

By this time I am wondering if she is just a dumb ass or is really trying to make me feel better:rolleyes . So I told her I was serious and have already checked into it. She looks at me and says "Whatever". Needless to say I got up and brought my big butt home:D .

I ran into something similar, my gyno "doesn't believe" in weight loss surgery. She actually told me that all I had to do was eat less and exercise more. Couldn't believe it...she was about 90 pounds soaking wet. Just because they are doctors doesn't mean that they know everything. Good luck and find a doctor that supports you!

Sometimes, I think they, too, see what they want to see. Before I was banded, my internist weighed me himself and his comment was, "Holy shit, woman! How did THAT happen?"

I had been weighed by his staff at every visit...I guess he didn't pay attention until HE weighed me.

As a member of the health care profession, I can tell you that MANY MDs do NOT stay current in their education. Therefore, when something "new" comes along that the patient is more knowledgable about than they are, some MDs react by downplaying the question/procedure/test. Sad, but true.

Secondly, there is a medical/surgical bias towards obese people. Currently, we have a patient who underwent a RNY procedure who is in the surgical ICU with complications. One of the surgical residents commented that "weight loss surgery is nothing more than a surgical patch for a life problem... after the golden year, she'll be right back where she started." The other intern and residents all agreed. Scary that this is the future surgeon of tomorrow.

I went through the same thing with my Dr. It was the last of several things that I didn't like about him. He said that I needed to be held accountable, exercise, and go on a diet. I asked him what he thought I had been doing for the last 40 years. We really disagreed about it. He even said he had suggested bypass to patients before. I don't understand why he didn't think it was for me. I changed Dr. after that. I don't need that crap I wanted support, which my new Dr. has given me. I was banded on Tues, 5/23/06 and I am thrilled so far.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

When I discussed the idea with my primary care doctor, he said, "I think this is the best decision you could have come to." We talked more, he made sure I totally understood what I was getting myself into and he said, "Sounds like we have a plan. What do you need from me to get this ball rolling." He's been one of my best supporters in this journey. He even called the surgeon to check on me the afternoon of surgery.

He's a groovy cat.

My cardiologist was the first one to mention wls to me......guess he was tired of trying to keep me alive. My PCP wouldn't write me a letter, thought I needed to try WW......been there, done that and few hundred other things, too. Cardiologist wrote me the letter. We moved right after that, got a new PCP, told (not asked) him what I was going to do.....he wouldn't even discuss it. Figured out later he wouldn't talk about it because he didn't know anything!! So I proceeded on my own, and kept bringing him brochures, info for the next few months. He has gradually worked up enthusiasm for the process and he and his nurse are always eager to see my blood work and weight and are now being very supportive.

My doc walked in the exam room and the first words out of his mouth were, "You're not fat enough, just like you heard, RyanJoey! Needless to say, the meeting went downhill from there! My BMI at the time was 37. I have high blood pressure, joint problems, depression, etc. I asked him if he was familiar with the NIH guidelines for WLS. He just looked at me like I was crazy. I gave him the guidelines. He's still giving me the blank stare. Long story short, I got approved for sugery a few weeks after this little get together. I'm changing docs. Probably a good idea after my telling him I knew he was conservative, and that I didn't expect him to be open minded and how many pounds had he ever had to lose? The topper? He told me he was head of an Optifast program for 10 years! What a hoot! I walked out with my husband in tow and left the doc sitting on his little swivel stool. I just couldn't deal with one more conservative Midwestern doc, so I self payed, went to Mexico and told my insurance company they lucked out.

I have a wonder PCP. He will talk and talk and talk about your medical problems until you understand all the complications that could arise. When I told him I was going to the seminar about the band, he was very supportive. After the seminar we discussed the fact that the insurance would not pay..period. He went on and on for about 30 minutes about insurance companies. He can't understand why some will not pay for a relatively safe procedure that will save them money in the long run.

He's great. I have an appointment next month to discuss my first round of blood work since surgery (03/14/06). I hope the cholesterol and triglycerides are way down...I've lost 53 lbs since I last saw him.

A year or so ago I had asked my doctor about weight loss surgery and if she could refer me to a surgeon, and she told me that it's a cosmetic thing and my insurance will not cover it. HA! I never saw her again after that.

I'm 5'5 and started at 240lbs and my surgeon who is the expert here in Portugal told me that I was the ideal candidate because I didn't have any co-morbidities and because my bmi was right around 40.

:grouphug: Get this, I went to my reg. Dr. today for a checkup. I was talking to her about being banded, (by the way I am 5ft 51/2. and weigh 267.:o )

she tells me that I am nuts to even consider it because I am not heavy enough to even qualify for the band!:angry I continued to tell her that my BMI is 40 or higher, and as heavy as I am insurance doesn't have to have a health reason, my weight is enough.

By this time I am wondering if she is just a dumb ass or is really trying to make me feel better:rolleyes . So I told her I was serious and have already checked into it. She looks at me and says "Whatever". Needless to say I got up and brought my big butt home:D .

Go to Mx and get a band from Dr. Sanchez. I was told the same thing, but I was only 50lbs over weight. My body, my money. I flew to Mx and don't regret it for a second!!

My doctor understands that weight problems killed my mom and I don't want to go there. She knows how many avenues I've tried and not been successful. She is willing to write a letter for me, but she was straight forward and said that she will not lie and say that my health is in immediate danger if I don't have the surgery right away.

I will have to do a weight loss program for 6-12 months, get my blood pressure to a point where I do not need a diuretic medication to control it (just a regular BP med) and have my reflux under control. At this point, she feels that any elective surgery is not safe for me until the rest is under control. Knowing my mom's history, I can't disagree with her.

My PCP has worked with my family for nearly 30 years and knows what she's talking about. She also has had many patients have all forms of bariatric surgery and fully supports my having the band. She said she would have disagreed had I chosen any other form.