Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cortisol and other things

Hello All,

I'm new to this group. I started researching the lap band back in October, and have recently been accepted into our local comprehensive weight loss progam, with the intent to have the lap band installed.

I've enountered some obstacles, and was hoping to get some input.

My clinic wants me to start the South Beach diet (or some other form of low glycemic progam.) This is fine with me, I've done South Beach and have mostly incoporated it into my lifestyle. Problem is, I've been doing it for about 2 1/2 weeks and haven't lost pound one.

The clinic called me last week, and my cortisol leve is high (they said normal is 20-50, I'm at 81). So, I have to do a serum cortisol test, which I'm doing next week.

Also, my HP pylori is high, and now I'm on a 2 week course of antibiotics and will have to have an endoscope.

I'm wondering if my cortisol is the reason I'm not loosing the weight. I'm following South Beach, exercising 3-4x a week.

I'm extremely discouraged because I know I have to lose weight before surgery, and I feel I'm doing everything, but I"m not dropping pounds.

Any suggestions, or encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

i have heard this commercial in ohio : "stress raises cortisol, and cortisol causes weightgain around the tummy and hips" -- i thought it was made up gimmick to sell diet pills. That makes me want to get mine checked on because shouldnt a womans waist be ten inches or more smaller than her hips? Mine only differs by 6 to 7 inches.

my weight wont budge no matter what i do either

Wished someone would do my cortisol level. I haven't had it done since the 80's, but I'd be interested to know what it is.

So what does one do to get it down from such a high level? Did they say?

Well, if it's still high after they do the serum cortisol blood draw, I'll most likely have to see an endocronologist to see if the problem stems from my adrenal glands, or pituitary gland. So, I'm a bit at a loss also. Which is why I'm hoping someone here has gone thru this.

Thanks again.

I know I had all the tests, but my cortisol was not high. From what I remember, a high cortisol level defintely promotes weight gain and I believe is usually treatable.