Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, other? Are you taking anything post-surgery?

Hi all.

Ok, so Dr. Aceves prescribes 6 months of Nexium to be taken daily post-surgery, wherein some other doctors it seems prescribe nothing, and some others say take something if you "need it". I'm wondering what you all have been told about this? If you are taking something, what are you taking? When did you start, and for how long have you been on it?

My doctor here at home told me he didn't wants me to take Nexium, but rather to take Prevacid instead. He wants me to take two a day, instead of the "one a day" standard dose. Also, he said that taking it for 6 months isn't advisable, but it CAN be done if necessary.

So... anyone want to share their thoughts or experiences with this?

best! :smile:

My surgeon doesn't prescribe it immediately after surgery. I had to go on Prilosec 20mg once daily once I moved onto mushies/puree food. I would eat, then have this gnawing twinge almost pain in my stomach, and then I would kind of burp. Back then, I was eating less than 2-3oz per meal of mushies. I went on Prilosec and within 10 days or so, those feelings and discomfort went away.

I'm still on it, and have been cleared to wean myself off of it. I take my Prilosec early in the a.m. and it's labeled to wait 1 hour after taking it before eating anything.

I have this mental block with stopping it. I've been thriving, and doing so fabulous. I'm scared that I don't want to screw up my regimen/schedule. I just got a 90 day refill so I may start weaning off of them sometime in February.

I hate heartburn, the discomfort and gassiness. My PCM is completely supportive of me being on Prilosec. Does your PCM have experience with VSG patients? I'm not sure how Prevacid really works. Did he give you a specific reason why he's against Nexium? I know some insurance companies don't cover Nexium.

Edit to Add: I just read and watched videos provided on the Prevacid website. It's a PPI just like all the other ones so I'm not sure why he would be against Nexium but all for Prevacid.

Edited by Tiffykins

I take a Prevacid solutab (melts in your mouth on your tongue). My surgeon prescribed 60 days initially, and I tried to go off of it when I ran out. Within a week, my heartburn was back and I felt awful. I had a new prescription called in and have no immediate plans to go off until this prescription is out...I really need to do some more reading about this pill.

Hi Tiff,

He's not against the Nexium, but his reasoning is that Prevacid is now over-the-counter and getting Nexium past my insurance might be tough because of that, especially if I haven't "tried" other remedies first. (Can you tell my big-fat HMO kinda sucks?)... Also, my co-pay for Nexium will be $60 a month, Prevacid, about $15 a month OTC (very inexpensive at costco I've found). My doc told me they work the same, but Prevacid comes in a smaller dose than Nexium, which he says will make it easier for me to ween off of it later, if needed.

He does have experience with VSG, another poster here also goes to this primary care doc...

Thanks for your insights. I just wanted to see what others are doing, for future reference. I'm going to do the Nexium and then try the Prevacid and see what happens. Will keep you all posted after my sleeve! :001_tongue:

Dr. Aceves told me after I ran out of Nexium, (about 2 months worth that I bought in Mex), that I could switch to prilosec OTC. I was to stay on these meds atleast 3 months, not 6. The prilosec also is a small pill easy to get down. I do want to wean myself off this but will not do it bf then. I sometimes get that empty feeling with the Nexium and think it might be acid production in the stomach, so am glad of the meds now. Don't know of the difference between prevacid and prilosec.

I dont want to remember the pain .... i take Nexium religously. I m 5 weeks out.

I have been on Pepcid 20mg twice a day since the hospital as well as Ursodiol twice a day to prevent gallstones. I was told I will remain on these for at least the first year.

Wow, it's so interesting how much the post-op procedures vary for this part of our journey. I will take the Nexium as directed until I run out, and will then switch to the Prevacid. If that does not work, I know my doc here will prescribe the Nexium, but it would be cheaper and easier to do the Prevacid.

I did read on another forum that Prilosec doesn't work on the same acid production ducts as Nexium and Prevacid does, which is why some people have various luck with it... some of us need it, some of us don't. I guess whatever works is fine for each of us. Thanks to all for your insights! -

I take the generic of Protonix. It's a tiny little pill. I have tried to go off of it and it's no fun.I was on it before surgery, so I see no reason to go off of it now.

My co-pay for all generic medications is $10. My pcp prescribes it to take twice a day, but I only take it once a day, so I get 60 for $10.

Thanks for sharing, as that might be a good idea for me as well... Anything that will WORK and that is cheaper, even better. I've heard of Protonix, so I may mention that to my PCP here in the future... if needed. Wish me luck guys. Leaving for Mexicali on Sunday morning, surgery Monday. Scared and excited! AH!

Ranitidene is an acid reducer and Wal-Mart Equate Brand is really cheap. My doctor told me to take 2 pills the night before surgery and 1 pill the morning before surgery. And I also have been taking them since surgery. I was also prescribe a generic form of Reglan, but I did not want to take them because of the possible side effects of Tardive Dysplasia. It was for nausea and vomiting. I decided to only take the acid reducer so that it might help with heartburn or the nausea feeling.

Hi Mountain_Lover...

Thank you for sharing this. I must admit, I didn't know what you meant by Tardive, but when I looked it up, I knew exactly what you were referring to... Odd stuff. Glad to know that information, I think I shall avoid ALL drugs with those possible side effects.

How are things with your sleeve? How's the losing, and how's the acid?

Best!

I take Nexium cause it works for me and my insurance of course doesn't cover it. Before surgery I could take one Nexium every 3-4 days and it would take care of the gerd.

You know it,

good luck on your surgery, you will love Dr. Aceves and his staff. Or maybe you know them already with the band. Post when you can and we'll be thinking of you!