Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't take it.....

I have had really, really, really bad dry mouth for the last week. I had my surgery on Jan. 14th but I can't take this dry mouth any longer. It doesn't matter how much I drink, it doesn't help. I told my doctor about this & he says to drink more....well it's not helping.

Anyone else go through this or is it just me?? I'm going crazy!! :)

The only thing that helped me was to drink drink drink. If you cannot drink enough, try mixing in some grape crystal lite. I can drink about 3 liters a day of that if I work at it. The dry mouth is probably a sign of early dehydration. Unless your pee is clear, you're not drinking enough.

I know I'm not getting exactly enough Water BUT I know I'm getting enough to keep my hydrated. I'm only a week out.

I suck on sugar free candy all day but as soon as I get rid of it my mouth is back to being dry. It drives me insane.

Especially when I'm talking to someone....it's embarrassing!!

I have had really, really, really bad dry mouth for the last week. I had my surgery on Jan. 14th but I can't take this dry mouth any longer. It doesn't matter how much I drink, it doesn't help. I told my doctor about this & he says to drink more....well it's not helping.

Anyone else go through this or is it just me?? I'm going crazy!! :lol0:

Hi Marci, Tiff mentioned her dry mouth due to the ant acid Prilosec she was or is on. I also had the WORST dry mouth as a side effect of the Prilosec. It may be due to an antacid you or some other medication you are taking on a daily basis. I couldn't stand it so I stopped taking antacids but then I seemed to have such a sinus and/or mucus build up and I read a post on here that sometimes acid reflux doesn't manifest with the typical symptoms and you don't even know you've got it and as a result the body will over produce mucus as a protection mechanism. I read a post where this person was prescribed Acidphex (antacid) and it resolved her mucus/nasal drip problem so I gave it a try. It did not resolve my nasal drip problem but I have had no dry mouth side effect from the Acidphex so far or any other side effects I am aware of. If you are on an antacid maybe you can ask your doctor to switch you to Acidphex and give it a try. I also agree that you MUST get in enough Water. Since my surgery plain Water makes me nauseous so I drink Vitamin waters all day diluted with regular water. Hope your problem is resolved pronto!

I had the same problem too although I was not taking any antacids or nexium. it is an early sign of dehydration. just try to sip sip and sip. it will subside so soon. I remember I had a very bad breath odour and was always embarrased and brushing my teeth. it disappeared thank god.

Anyone else go through this or is it just me?? I'm going crazy!! :001_smile:

Dry mouth is common the first month or so, and it can be a sign of dehydration as well as just a common side effect of the PPI's (nexium, prilosec, etc.). Eventually it goes away. The medication is essential to protect your new stomach so don't stop taking it, please.

Just keep sipping fluids to moisten your mouth and remember that this too shall pass...

Thanks guys for all the help!! I have been constantly sipping.....sip, sip, sip & it seems to be going okay but not better by any means right now. I'm keeping positive & hoping it will get better soon. I go back for a follow up again on Wednesday & will talk with the doctor about my meds.

Thanks again ladies....I can always count on ya'll to answer my questions.

Are you able to tolerate some Gatorade, even the Gatorade made with Splenda has some electrolytes in it which might help with the hydration.

I had bad dry mouth the first 2 weeks also, and I liked to suck on the sugar free popsicles. It helped me alot, and when I wasn't doing that I had Water that I would swish around in my mouth. It also seemed like I brushed my teeth alot to get rid of that feeling, it helped a little. Now that I am getting in more liquids my mouth doesn't seem dry at all. Hopefully this is just a quick post-op phase and you'll be through it in no time! Congratulations on your surgery and your doing great with your weight loss! Yaaaaaaaaa....sleeve sister!!

Yes, it seems to help while I eat sugar free popsicles but only when I eat them. Once I'm done it's back but I love me some popsicles.

Tiff, I'm going to have to try the Gatorade. I didn't see the ones with Splenda. When my husband & I went shopping for my full liquids all I could find is the real Gatorade which was FULL of sugars. I'll have to look around.

Thanks girls!

marci,

the lower calorie Gatorade is called G2. You can find it at Walmart in a variety of flavors in 6 or 8 packs.

You might also try running a humidifier in your bedroom. You can't be drinking overnight so it really helps to have a bit more humid air to breathe during the night. I didn't see where you live but if the heat is running, you're house is probably dry. I have a one gallon humidifier. It sits on the dresser about 3 feet from my head and I use it every night. Side affect is that my face doesn't dry out as much in the winter either!

Good luck!

Hello Marci!

There are a couple of options for gatorade. I found one by gatorade called G2 it is half the sugars and only 30 calories per 250 ml. But better yet I found Powerade Zero which has 0 calories,0 carbs, 0 sugars and only 60 mg of sodium. It is Gatorade's competition. So far I have only found 2 flavors Mixed berry and strawberry. Both are delicious. I have had the dry mouth too. Doctor said that is a side effect of the antibiotics I have 2 more days of them to go then hopefully it will disappear. Congrats on your journey and your weightloss so far. Keep up the great work!

haven?t had this problem either, what i did have was like i had this bad taste in my mouth, so what i do now is i pop a sugar free trident and it makes it go away......so maybe some gum for you will keep your mouth less dry. goodluck