Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, Lots of Concerns, This is a long one

Hello ~ This is my first posting but I've been reading all of your wonderful posts for a few weeks now.

Just a little background about me...I've been heavy my whole life. A few years ago I got myself in the low 200's and to my that was thin! Unfortunately, I've let myself seriously go and I'm up to 350. Last year, I went to my PCP and told him that I wanted the RNY. He was supportive and gave me the referral. Well, I ended up chickening out and tried one last ditch effort with WW. I ended up losing about 40 pounds but successfully put back every pound and then some. I gave up on WLS surgery and dieting all together.

A few months back I discovered the VSG and thought to myself that it is definitely a surgery that I be comfortable with and worth exploring. This past week, I got the courage to see my PCP and asked for another referral to a surgeon who does the VSG. Well, my PCP did not tip toe around my feelings. He definitely voiced his disappointment about me not having WLS. He said that he can't help me if I don't take his advice and is STRONGLY encouraging me to have the surgery. Which he is probably right. He gave me the referral and said that he would take care of the necessary paperwork. I definitely got the tough love treatment.

I trying to find the right time to tell my family that this is all happening. By the way, I'm single and 30 years old. I know they will be totally supportive but I feel bad for them to see their daughter have to go through this. I've let myself go so bad that my only saving grace is surgery.

Ok, the concerns.....

1) Lactose Intolerance, does this happen to everyone? If it should happen, does it go away or am I stuck with it?

2) The Hair loss ?...I'm expecting it to happen but my hair is the only thing I get compliments on. Will it grow back? Will it be like it used to be?

3) Bowel issues...as a child I had lots of bowel issues and I can still remember the horrible experiences. Will Constipation always be a problem after VSG?

4) Alcohol...I do enjoy a drink now and then. Will I be able to enjoy a glass of wine or a vodka drink? I would not attempt this until way further out.

Thank you all so much for letting me get this off my chest. You are all a great comfort and full of advice and knowledge. I look forward to getting to know you.

Thanks for your insights. :thumbup1:

Hello ~ This is my first posting but I've been reading all of your wonderful posts for a few weeks now.

Just a little background about me...I've been heavy my whole life. A few years ago I got myself in the low 200's and to my that was thin! Unfortunately, I've let myself seriously go and I'm up to 350. Last year, I went to my PCP and told him that I wanted the RNY. He was supportive and gave me the referral. Well, I ended up chickening out and tried one last ditch effort with WW. I ended up losing about 40 pounds but successfully put back every pound and then some. I gave up on WLS surgery and dieting all together.

A few months back I discovered the VSG and thought to myself that it is definitely a surgery that I be comfortable with and worth exploring. This past week, I got the courage to see my PCP and asked for another referral to a surgeon who does the VSG. Well, my PCP did not tip toe around my feelings. He definitely voiced his disappointment about me not having WLS. He said that he can't help me if I don't take his advice and is STRONGLY encouraging me to have the surgery. Which he is probably right. He gave me the referral and said that he would take care of the necessary paperwork. I definitely got the tough love treatment.

I trying to find the right time to tell my family that this is all happening. By the way, I'm single and 30 years old. I know they will be totally supportive but I feel bad for them to see their daughter have to go through this. I've let myself go so bad that my only saving grace is surgery.

Ok, the concerns.....

1) Lactose Intolerance, does this happen to everyone? If it should happen, does it go away or am I stuck with it?

2) The hair loss ?...I'm expecting it to happen but my hair is the only thing I get compliments on. Will it grow back? Will it be like it used to be?

3) Bowel issues...as a child I had lots of bowel issues and I can still remember the horrible experiences. Will Constipation always be a problem after VSG?

4) Alcohol...I do enjoy a drink now and then. Will I be able to enjoy a glass of wine or a vodka drink? I would not attempt this until way further out.

Thank you all so much for letting me get this off my chest. You are all a great comfort and full of advice and knowledge. I look forward to getting to know you.

Thanks for your insights. :thumbup1:

Hi, Maddie, and first off welcome to VST. I think a lot of can relate to your story, and I'll be the first to tell you that the sleeve is a fabulous tool.

To maybe help with some of your concerns:

1) I didn't have lactose intolerance issues. I'm not a milk drinker, but could/can eat yogurt, cheese, and other dairy products without issue.

2) I lost quite a bit of my hair. It started around 3.5 months post-op and last exactly 3 months. I already have new growth all over my head that is 2-3inches long. I did/do not take a supplement such as Biotin, but I did use Folicure extra care Shampoo every other day. Nothing will stop it, but you can do things to help rev up the regrowth.

3) I only had one serious bout of constipation. I had eaten a lot of cheese one day, and didn't get in enough Water. That's an epic fail in the bowel movement department.

4) I was cleared for alcohol around 3.5-4 months out. I enjoy having a glass of wine here and there without any problems. I haven't tried mixed drinks just because nothing appeals to me. I like Riesling or German wines. I had 3 glasses of wine over a 5 hour time period on NYE with dinner thrown in. The first glass hit me pretty hard, but within 20 minutes I felt just a little buzzed. I had 2 more glasses at a local bar, and felt fine and didn't have a hangover.

I hope this helps some. Keep us posted on your progress, and if you have any other questions or concerns feel free to post away.

TiffyKins ~ thanks so much for the reply. I had a feeling you would be one of the first to reply. You are such a great support on this website. I'll definitely keep you posted. I have my PSY on the 26th. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

I hope my experience is as good as yours has! Many thanks and I'm sure I'll be talking with you soon!!

Hi Maddie. Welcome. I am pre-op just like you so I don't have a lot of information. Sounds like we are going to have to get used to a little less hair. But, if I can get healthy, a little Hair loss is worth it to me.

I'll be post-op in less than 2 weeks. Any questions you have, just fire away. Someone here will know the answer.

P.S. - I totally agree with your note to TiffyKins. She rocks!

Hi Maddie, I think you are making a good decision to have surgery. I turned 30 a few months ago and am so excited to do things in this decade that I was unable to do in my 20's. As for my experience with your concerns (remember everyone's different)...

1) Lactose Intolerance, does this happen to everyone? If it should happen, does it go away or am I stuck with it? I've had this issue for my entire life, I still eat yogurt, but some cheeses and dairy products will get to me, it's just always been a part of my life, so I guess I don't find it that bad...sorry no answer to your question, my surgeon said it might happen for some and not others.

2) The hair loss ?...I'm expecting it to happen but my hair is the only thing I get compliments on. Will it grow back? Will it be like it used to be? You'll see, you will get so many more compliments on other things when you start getting healthier. My Hair loss started around 2 months post-op and started to slow down around 4.5 months post-op. I'm still losing more than normal and do not notice new growth, but it's still pretty thick.

3) Bowel issues...as a child I had lots of bowel issues and I can still remember the horrible experiences. Will Constipation always be a problem after VSG? Honestly is has been a problem for me since I've had my surgery. I always was a very regular person (2-4 bm's per day), so this was something that I've had to work on. Now, 5.5 months out, I usually can go every other day and I know foods (spinach, applesauce, even pita chips) that can help me go...sometimes I will start cramping really bad and then realize it has been a couple/few days and try to up my Water and add in the Fiber...it usually helps.

4) Alcohol...I do enjoy a drink now and then. Will I be able to enjoy a glass of wine or a vodka drink? I would not attempt this until way further out. I gave up drinking a couple years ago when my husband and I started to try for a baby, now I'd rather use calories for other splurges (a couple of french fries or bites of ice cream), but I've read of many other wls patients who have had no problems with this.

Good luck on your journey! It has been such a great thing for me and I think you will be so pleased with it as well.

Hi there,

I am sure you will love your sleeve as much as the rest of us. I can eat milk products such as cheese and yougurt, but I can't dirnk very much milk. I am almost 9 months away from surgery.

I've never been someone to drink alcohol so I can't answer that one. I know people who do drink in moderation though.

hair loss is pretty common, and yes , it does grow back.

Since I had my gall bladder out, I am never constipated. I have the opposite problem. Before GB surgery, I took Miralax every other day and that kept me pretty regular.

Hi Maddie!

I think if your surgeon is STRONGLY recommending it then you should go for it. I know how if feels to be scared. I am scared too. I only have 2 more days.....so you know I am scared. But if you don't have the surgery and continue to loose this battle with weight (no pun intended)...then you will have too many possible serious issues to be so young. I think you parents would be scared but I believe they are scared for you now walking around carrying all of that extra weight. As a parent, when you kids are in pain, you are in pain! I think once you get happy...they will really be happy for you.

Good luck with your decision.

Welcome to VST. Your parents will be so supportive of your decision to take back control of your life.

You are doing a positive thing for your continued healthy life.

Stop with the shame/blame.

This is not something you can do "by yourself" .

Please start thinking of the sleeve as your new "tool" in the Quest for a healthy life.

Unless your parents have weight issues, and are the jealous types, you will most likely find them so supportive of your decision.

Make the decision for yourself. Do not be bullied into this. The Dr.s tough love talk can be a catalest for action, but you must make this decision for yourself. Give yourself no excuses. Be very positive. Yes, there will be some fear and doubt, but, get past that, head up, clear on the goals ahead. Forward and downward! (scale joke)

Confidence!

Edited by carolyn24seven
spelling error

Perhaps it will make some feel better to know... I did lose hair after both previous surgeries, and it all grew back. It is quite scary and traumatizing to lose the hair, but it's very normal. Many of the suggestions here might help you... definitely watch the Vitamins, Protein, etc. That might help cut down on the loss. Anyways, I guess I'll take a little hair-loss along with my fat-loss! Cheers! :(:) :smile:

Hi everyone! I just want to thank all of you for your support. Your insight, advice and kind words are priceless to me.