Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you have done differently through your process

Hey everyone,

I think this is such a great forum, and I have learned so much about the process, and feel a lot more comfortable about my surgery.

One question I did have for most folks is What would you have done differently through the process? From your Pre-Op to whatever stage you are right now? Particularly with exercise, nutrition, etc.

One of my concerns is definitely the sagging skin after (even though- don't get me wrong, i will take sagging skin over being 100 pounds overweight ANY DAY!). Are there things you would have done earlier to prevent that? specific exercise, products, moisturizers, skin firming lotions etc?

I wouldnt have gotten to this point where I needed to have WLS, but I dont regret my sleeve. It has been the best thing for me. I havent started the excersising yet, but will soon. Also, I would have pigged out before surgery. I didnt, I put myself on a liquid diet at 1 1/2 weeks before. Man .. I wish I could have a Tommy Burger :-D

I would of gotten the sleeve, and not had to deal with the stupid band. But, I can say I learned a lot with the band.

I really wouldn't of changed a lot of what I did through my process. I use loads of lotions for my body, and moisturizer for my face.

Really the only thing I wish I could of done was work out sooner. I just wasn't released for a long time post-op to do much of anything.

I would have gone for intensive pre surgery counseling with a qualified psychologist. One that has had years of experience in treating pre and post op patients. I was not ready for this operation and I'm paying a huge price psychologically (even though I am losing alot of weight). I'm not even excited about it and can barely find it in me to groom myself I'm so depressed. It's apparent to me that I'm the odd ball out here but I wish I would have really been prepared to make such a life changing decision. I'm am glad y'all are happy however and I hope and pray that one day soon I too will be glad I made this decision instead of living with despair and regret.

Hi Lan2k,

Have you gone to your doctor to see about taking antidepressants? I take antidepressants and I am not ashamed to admit it. You have done the right thing with your surgery. If your brain chemistry is off, the medication will fix you right up. If you had high blood pressure, wouldn't you take medication? If you had diabetes, wouldn't you take medication? This is no different. It is a shame that you have to suffer. Please see your doctor.

PS: sorry, if I overstepped or offended you. I write this only because I am sympathetic. Very sympathetic.

Lan2K, I didn't realize you were struggling so much emotionally. and I really appreciate your honesty. For those of us with eating disorders, it more of a mental head game. I still wish I would have done it sooner, but I know in the end it;s all the same, diet & exercise. Whatever tool you can find to help you reduce your caloric intake, no matter how drastic, whatever it takes to ge you to your goal.

Edited by Steph_123

@lan2K- Thank you so much for opening up like that. As someone who has had several issues, I am definitely going to start researching matching up with a psychiatrist and a therapist (my dr. did not require it, since I am going to Mexico). Have you found support groups helpful?

Tiffykins- did you get a specific kind (like a skin firming thingamajig or just regular moisturizer)?

@kikiphiasmom- I AM GOING TO FOGO DE CHAO for my last supper. Gotta do it now.

@lan2K- Thank you so much for opening up like that. As someone who has had several issues, I am definitely going to start researching matching up with a psychiatrist and a therapist (my dr. did not require it, since I am going to Mexico). Have you found support groups helpful?

Tiffykins- did you get a specific kind (like a skin firming thingamajig or just regular moisturizer)?

I am very glad you did not take any offense. I just think it is important to be ever so informed of life after surgery. From what I can see here most people adjust very well and are so happy they made the change. I wish you only the best in your journey. God bless and keep you every step of the way.

I am using a bare minerals face primer, and Avon Anew around my eyes. For my neck, I'm using Olay regenerist micro-sculpting moisturizer.

Since my face has shrunk, my wrinkles on my forehead, and my crow's feet have become more noticeable. I've heard rave reviews, and my stylist suggested, Loreal De-Cease collagen filler, and I will picking some up this weekend to start using on my wrinkles.

The Olay stuff definitely helps my neck skin. I don't have a severe turkey neck, but I have some wrinkles down there. It last about 8 hours or so. I use it twice a day, morning and night.

Lan2k:

It would be very helpful if you could start a thread about the negative emotional effects of the surgery. I am very curious.

Before I had surgery I was a real foodie (also a glutton). Now, i just don't enjoy food as much. It's not just the amount I can eat, but also nothing excites me anymore. While I understand this is a good thing, I am mourning the loss of one of the activities that I found most enjoyable.

Don't forget, it's never too late to obtain therapy. Hopefully, you are in a position to get the help you need now.

One thing I would have done differently is be more diligent taking antacids, Vitamins and monitoring my Protein. I have had some hair loss - and I will never know whether or not I could have prevented it.

I would have watched my liquids more when in the first 6 weeks.

I would have been excited, not in fear, of the step I was taking.

I would have given myself a break after surgery. I am not super woman. I can rest and recover without feeling guilty that I am not at work.

I would have gone for intensive pre surgery counseling with a qualified psychologist. One that has had years of experience in treating pre and post op patients. I was not ready for this operation and I'm paying a huge price psychologically (even though I am losing alot of weight). I'm not even excited about it and can barely find it in me to groom myself I'm so depressed. It's apparent to me that I'm the odd ball out here but I wish I would have really been prepared to make such a life changing decision. I'm am glad y'all are happy however and I hope and pray that one day soon I too will be glad I made this decision instead of living with despair and regret.

Please start a thread in the complications area. I want to hear what you have been going through. Everything. I want to hear why you feel hopeless. Please?

Also, Lan2K I don't think you are such the odd ball out. I would venture to say nearly everyone has had to deal with some form of psychological ramification as a result of their surgery.

Down in Socal- could you elaborate more when you say- watched your liquids? Did you not get enough, or was is the calorie content of the liquids?

Also, I second the idea of starting a new thread addressing the emotional effects of the surgery.

Tifftykins... I am going to load up on the moisturizer and wrinkle cream :thumbup:

Please start a thread in the complications area. I want to hear what you have been going through. Everything. I want to hear why you feel hopeless. Please?

Thank you I will try to gather myself together later tonight and see if I can find the "complications area" and start a thread to sort out what in God's name has happened to me. But at the moment I can't stop crying and have got to get myself out the door and distracted. I'm just one big ball of sadness and fear.