Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess Skin after weight loss with VSG

Hi Everyone, My names jennifer for those of you who don't know me yet, This is only my 3rd thread. I'm in the process (long process) of hopefully getting my VSG. I'm doing alot of research so that I can be extra ready when the time comes for anything that comes my way. I was wondering though... I know that everyone has excess skin after weight loss with VSG and I also know that everyone is different. I'm hoping not to have TOO much excess skin (I know everyone hopes for that) but I have some faith in that I won't have too much. I will eventually get a tummy tuck(Ill post another thread for that question as well) but Is it true that the changes of not having TOOO much excess skin is better for younger people? I am 20 years old. and I am 5'8'' and weight 290. I don't have a bad figure (nothing droopy) I am actually a pretty toned BBW. So many my excess skin wont be horrible??? If I were to tone months before surgery will this help later after surgery?? I'm just scared to do this because I will gain muscle and not accomplish the 10% I need to loose for the surgery.

I've been rambling so I'll leave it at that.

Thank you

Excess or a little saggy skin is to be expected. Toning up before surgery may help, but the skin stretched and nothing is going to keep it from sagging initially. It's recommended to wait at least 1 year after reaching goal before doing any plastics.

If you start gaining muscle mass you will lose/burn fat. The myth of muscle weighs more than is just false. A pound is a pound regardless of what we're weighing. Now, with that being said, muscle takes up less space, and is more dense than fat. Fat is bulky, and bulgy. You may not see a lot of scale movement if you are doing a lot of weight training, but you will see inches lost. If you bump up your cardio and burn fat, you should be able to get to your 10% goal.

I would say toning you will still lose the 10% its a ideal % to loss they wont stop you if you dont drop that much. Plus once you get going you will be just fine. Trust me.

Has anyone found anything that will help with excess skin? I know it's inevitable and will happen, but I've seen some people that have SO much loose skin and I fear that's the way I will be because my body is the way it is. Are there any excercises that have been found that may help with the skin issue pre- and post- surgery? Lotions, Vitamins, etc....?

i have heard (could be a myth though) that if someone loose weight very very slowly the skin will shrink back.

it makes sence somehow,the skin has time to adjust.......but i don't know if there is any truth in it or just bs.

I've heard that too, but I'm not sure how much control I will have on my weight loss after the surgery. I would love to be able to lose the weight slow enough so that my skin will bounce back on its own. But if the weight loss is as quick as I'm assuming it will be, this is why I was wondering if there is anything else out there that can help skin.

I haven't had the surgery yet, but when we consulted with my surgeon he said that it is really a lot of genetics. Depending on how much elastin and collagen your skin has. And the length of time you've been overweight affects the process as well.

I'm just over a month out and my physical therapist has me doing strength training exercises to try to help a little with the excess skin. I have 3 to target arms, 3 to target legs, and 3 to target midsection. Each exercise is supposed to target a different specific muscle. I don't know if that helps, but I'm doing it! :lol0:

Midwestgirl, If you can share...what are the exercises you're doing? Have they helped so far (I know you're not that far out yet)?

There is this woman who recently had RNY and lost 120 pounds in a year and a half. She swears by wearing tummy tightening clothes and these upper arm pantyhose things. She uses the tightening creams all the time. She barely has any loose skin. I have bought some of the products. It may just be a myth, but it never hurts to try.

She does a lot of yoga and pilates too.

Midwestgirl, If you can share...what are the exercises you're doing? Have they helped so far (I know you're not that far out yet)?

Each of these are 2-3 sets, 15-20 reps in each. Supposed to do them 2-4 times a week, but never target the same area two days in a row, that way the muscles get a little rest.

Abdominals: 1) Arms crossed over your chest, tighten abdominals, raise shoulder and upper back toward ceiling. Keep head & neck in line with spine. Keep low & middle back on floor.

2) With feet flat and knees bent, flatten back into bed (I do them on the floor). Tighten stomach muscles (think sucking it in, like sucking your belly button to your spine). Hold 20 seconds.

3) One ankle across other knee, tighten abdominals, twist upper body to touch opposite elbow to knee (I reach toward my knee, but am not near flexible enough to touch my knee).

Legs: 1) With feet shoulder-width apart, 12 inches from the wall and back & bottom against wall, slide down wall & back up. You will feel a burn in your thighs, but it shouldn't be painful. (Squats)

2) In shoulder width stance, holding onto a chair for balance anchor a resistance band around the bottom of bed. Step inside the band loop, facing the bed/parallel to the bed. Pull leg back, keeping knee nearly straight. Do the sets with each leg.

3) In shoulder width stance, holding onto a chair for balance, tie resistance band around bed & step into the loop, perpendicular to the bed. Pull leg out to the side, keeping knee straight. Do the sets with each leg.

Arms: 1) Sit or stand, resistance band in both hands, arms out in front. Keeping arms straight, pinch shoulder blades together and stretch arms out. Try not to shift your wrists too much.

2) Stand with your back against a door, arm overhead. Knot the resistance band & shut it in the top of the door. Pull the band down to your side, keeping your elbow straight.

3) In stride stance, resistance band anchored under back foot, grasp handles behind head (knuckles should be at the nape of your neck). Thumps down, straighten arms, rotating to palms forward.

Most important part is to go slowly. Start each exercise with 1 set of 15 or 20, then work your way up. Also, especially when using the band, YOU control it, don't let it pull you or you're not getting any benefit out of it.

I've been doing these just two weeks, twice a week. I'm trying to work myself up to three times a week. I definitely feel them working as I'm doing them. And I think my arm muscles are getting a little more defined. Hope this helps! I typed up the sheets I have (they also have drawings) with a little commentary from me. If they don't make sense let me know & I can try to explain a little better. I'm generally pretty crappy at giving directions!

Wow... thanks for posting this workout. I think I will start it now, before my surgery. My surgeon said to work on strengthening my legs especially to help avoid blood clots. This should help.

I'm going to try that workout too. Thank you.

I lost 80lbs in 6 months on the lapband. I had no loose skin. I also was a stick figure all my life until I had two babies back to back. It could be argued that my skin wasn't stretched out for a long period of time, therefore it snapped back into place. My youngest at the time was 9 months when I had the band put in.

Now that my band went to hell and I had two more back to back babies (gaining 80lbs again) and my skin has been restretched, no way it is going to snap LOL For now I put on my trusty Spanx when I don't want rolls to rival the Michelin tire man.

Thanks, Midwest Girl!!! I appreciate any help. My surgery is scheduled for 03/29/10 :scared0:, so I'll be starting as much strength training as possible tomorrow. I'd like to see if I can firm up any of my existing skin in the next four weeks. :thumbup: