Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-Depressants, Smoking, post WLS

Dr. Jossart, first off thank you for taking time out of your schedule to help us.

I'm 7 months out, and at goal. I picked up smoking again post-op, and have a true desire to quit. BUT, cold turkey sends me into massive bouts of irritability, and moodiness.

The Patches and gum make it even worse.

I just scheduled an appointment with my PCM on Friday morning to discuss using Zyban (Wellbutrin) to help me get through the withdrawls. Chantix is NOT covered by my insurance.

I have never suffered from depression, or anxiety, and have never taken any form of anti-depressants. I'll be honest that I am scared of the side effects, but the side effects of smoking are more dangerous.

I've smoked for the last 15-16 years with a few quits here and there.

My main concern is that I will find myself eating/snacking more. I'm a stay at home/wife, and I plan on taking up a new hobby to help keep my mind/hands occupied.

Any advice, or insight would be appreciated as to what I can expect especially following WLS on anti-depressants.

Hi Tiff,

Though I am not a doctor, I have taken Wellbutrin off and on for a number of years. I can say that this antidepressant (from my research and observation) has few, if any real side effects that are negative. One possible "side effect" that you'll find in the literature is appetite reduction, and there are lesser or no sexual side-effects, like other anti-depressants. I have also taken Zoloft and Prozac in the past, with mixed results... I did have sexual side-effects on those, but nothing else.

I hope your Quest to quit smoking is successful! I know it's hard, so hang in there! :001_unsure::blushing:

I had tried many things. Then I used Chantix, and never smoked again. If it isn't covered by your insurance you may want to just pay for it, it is that good.

WARNING....evaluate yourself daily and be watchful of any mood disorders that can happen with it. Also, even if you think it isn't affecting you mentally it is, so don't make any big decisions or decide to talk to someone about something you wouldn't normally do, while taking this drug. Just use it quit smoking and then move on with your life forever.

Just a side note, my insurance company doesn't even charge you a deductible for Chantix, because they have found it to work so well, and save them money in the long run.

Just a side note, my insurance company doesn't even charge you a deductible for Chantix, because they have found it to work so well, and save them money in the long run.

FYI, I have noted that there are a number of lawsuits now over patients who had psyciatric disturbances and some suicides after starting Chantix. It is a relatively new drug and I am leery of "new" drugs until they are well tested over time. In my opinion, people who take "new" drugs on the market are "doing the research", like guinea pigs.

Since Wellbutrin is an older drug and there has been more experience, and less negative outcomes with it, perhaps it is a safer choice. Good idea to talk with your doctor about this.

Tiffy, I tried taking Wellbutrin but for depression and anxiety. I stopped it after 2 days. Since you are further out of surgery than it may not have the anti-appetite effect that it had on me. I just couldn't even look at food let alone eat it. That may have been helpful had I not had WLS but could pose a danger when we have been sleeved and need to get in an adequate amount of nutrition. I am glad you want to stop smokiing, and trust God to guide you.

I agree, you need to be careful, and really watch for any side effects. I didn't have any, but I was a little bit more emotional then usual.

Loved the Chantix. Quit after 20 years of smoking.

I think it's something like $160 out of pocket, but it's worth it in the long and short run. I was probably spending $100/month in smokes anyway.

If you can take it, I'd take it.

I've heard that the side effects that were reported have, lately, become not as pronounced with further trial. This may or may not be the case. I wish you tons of luck though!!! :001_unsure:

Since Dr. Jossart never replied, I discussed it further with my PCP and surgeon.

Due to the gallbladder surgery in February, I stopped taking it. Then the low blood pressure problems started, but have now been cleared to start the Wellbutrin again.

Chantix is just too "new" for me to take. My mother-in-law took it with zero effect on her smoking.

I'm not crazy about taking anything to be honest. I'm paranoid of crossover addictions especially with pills.

I need to quit, I know I need to, I'm just so frustrated with how everything happened when I first started taking the Wellbutrin.

Thank you all for your input, advice and support. I think my new quit date is going to be around mid-April. I have another vacation planned to Texas the last week of March, and I honestly can't be around my mother and NOT smoke.

Hi Tiff, a long time ago I was a smoker too. I found quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life! I tried everything. I finally went to the AHA, and their program is set up for "whatever works for you". It was very positive. I decided on an unorthodox way to quit. I asked my doctor for valium, just for a month. Whenever I got jittery, nervous, etc. the valium calmed me down, and i could make it. After a few weeks the withdrawals went away, and I was left with a valium habit. KIDDING. No, it just worked for me, and now it's been 15 years since I quit! I am not one of those reformed smokers that say "get that smoke away from me". I just treat myself with a nice inhale, and I'm fine. The key after you go through this, is never pick up one cigarette, ever. Good luck!

There are two reasons to believe antidepressants might help in smoking cessation. First, depression may be a symptom of nicotine withdrawal, and smoking cessation sometimes precipitates depression. Second, nicotine may have antidepressant effects that maintain smoking for some smokers. Antidepressants may substitute for this effect.