Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had Consult Today-have questions about pre surgical testing

so i met my surgeon today. all went well and i am still very excited. there are some concerns i have. first off, when considering another surgeon for lap band (prior to my research on the sleeve), the other surgeons list of pre surgical was extensive. exerciise stress test, cardiovascular ultrasound, upper gi series, sleep study, pulmonary functuon test.....My surgeon on wants the upper gi series blood work and a ekg and chest xray w weeks before the operation. anyone have the surgery with

minimal pre surgical testing?

I think it may depend more on any pre-existing conditions. For example, I had multiple EKGs, a heart ultrasound, a stress test, a 24-holter heart monitor, bloodwork, psychological evaluation, and that was about it. No sleep study because I don't have sleep apnea, and the reason for all the extra heart tests was because I have an irregular heartbeat which I had never had tested. So I think my dr.'s basic testing would probably be EKG & blood work & psych eval, unless the patient has other conditions (sleep apnea, heart condition) that warrant additional testing. :001_tt2:

I had to have an EKG, upper gi series, full blood work, psych eval, and sleep study. It seemed like a lot to get done at the time. It wouldn't hurt to ask your surgeon if you'd like some other things done...he might order them as well. For me I felt good about those requirements and being self-pay, I wasn't going to push it unless I really felt something was missing.

I did not have any medical conditions or medical history, other than bad knees and therefore only had to have physical, blood work & meeting with nutritionist.

i have high bp and on medication. when i question my surgeon about the lack of pre surgical testing (the stress test and heart ultra sound, spefically) he siad unless i have a history of chest pains and or heart attack (to which the answer is no), then he doesnt need me to have the tests done. after reading all the reponses i am reassured that not all surgeons require a baatery of pre surgical testing and that it also is based on the individual.

that being said, i already hae the referral from my pcp for the upper gi series and will call to scedule today. i have the psych consult and nutrtionist nnext week. i could potentially be finishe with everythin in a couple of weeks. how awesome would that be?! i cant believe its getting closer.

I had high BP and was on medication - the only tests that Dr. Aceves performed pre-op were complete blood panel, urinalysis, EKG and chest x-ray. The only other surgery I have ever had was a D&C and all I had done for that was a chest x-ray and EKG. I think you'll be fine and that you should have trust in your surgeon - if anything funny shows up in any of those tests, then he'll order more tests as/if necessary.

My personal opinion is that some of the surgeons who order a huge number of expensive tests on everyone are doing it because it makes money, if not for them personally, for someone they work for or get referrals from.

I had hi BP, hypothyroidism and sleep apnea. I did not need any other tests than what Dr Aceves ordered.

I didn't have any co-morbidities.

For my band surgery, I had to have a full lab work up, chest xray, ekg, urinalysis, nutritionist consult, and a psych eval.

For my revision, I had all of the above, plus a hematology work up with an oncologist because I had issues with bleeding. Come to find out I have an idiopathic clotting disorder, and for any surgery I have to be given medication the day before, the day of, and the day after surgery.

No sleep study, or heart ultrasound.

thanks to everyone for responding. you all have made me feel so much better just by sharing. it helps so much when you can compare notes!

so i met my surgeon today. all went well and i am still very excited. there are some concerns i have. first off, when considering another surgeon for lap band (prior to my research on the sleeve), the other surgeons list of pre surgical was extensive. exerciise stress test, cardiovascular ultrasound, upper gi series, sleep study, pulmonary functuon test.....My surgeon on wants the upper gi series blood work and a ekg and chest xray w weeks before the operation. anyone have the surgery with

minimal pre surgical testing?

I had all my pre-op stuff done 1 week before my surgery. . .makes more sense to have test results closer to the date then further away. . .what if there are changes??????:hurray: