Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

back to work after surgery...?

i have surgery jan 5th, then recovery in the hospital until the 8th when i fly back home....i took the next day off work and was hoping i could return the 11th, or 12th. i tattoo, so i pretty much just sit all day. no lifting, and i have a shop helper that does all my set up and clean up. i don't get paid sick days so i would like to get back to work asap...

any advice?

You might want to just be prepared to leave early if you get really fatigued. During the first 2 weeks, until I was on mushies, I was extremely tired and needed a lot of naps. All of a sudden I would feel like I could not keep my eyes open.

Your intake is so limited during the first 2 weeks, that it stresses the body. Listening to it and taking the rest helps healing. Just be careful, be sure to drink sips constantly so you don't get dehydrated. I took 2 weeks off and that worked best for me. I have a mostly desk job too.

Cajun is right. I went to work the following week, don't have a lot of lifting but do have some walking. I was fine to work, but got tired easily. I cut out a little early on a few days. Seems like the two week mark is when I got my energy back - like someone flipping a light switch.

You might want to just be prepared to leave early if you get really fatigued. During the first 2 weeks, until I was on mushies, I was extremely tired and needed a lot of naps. All of a sudden I would feel like I could not keep my eyes open.

Your intake is so limited during the first 2 weeks, that it stresses the body. Listening to it and taking the rest helps healing. Just be careful, be sure to drink sips constantly so you don't get dehydrated. I took 2 weeks off and that worked best for me. I have a mostly desk job too.

I'm much more concerned with pain levels. I have done fasts for 21 days so I'm familiar with not eating and low calorie intakes for long periods of time. So I feel confident I can get through that! But what about pain and discomfort? What are the pain mess I should pick up in Mexico? And how soon should i start with the gas x strips and such? Also a little off topic....I should pick up a bunch of nexium while in Mexico...no?

Hi Megan

I had surgery on a Monday, home from hospital on Wed., and back to work the following Tuesday. But the truth is I could have gone back to work on Sunday if I had had to (just don't tell my boss!). I too have a desk job, and it was no problem going back. I had no pain by then, and no one could even tell I had had surgery (I only told a few people at work). If all goes smoothly for you, then you should be fine going back to work one week post. I didn't need pain meds at all. Also havent needed anything for gas. I bought a few boxes to have on hand, but haven't used them, so maybe it would be a waste to stock up on them.

Good luck with your surgery next week!

I did not need the toradol pain meds, but I do recommend that you buy 3 months worth of nexium before you leave mexico. It costs 300 bucks for a three month supply here. I only bought a 2 week supply before I left Mexicali and was shocked to see what I had to pay here...and that was with insurance covering some of the cost!

Hello Everyone,

I was in Mexicali with Megan. (Hi Megan!)

I was fine at the hospital but I am having a terrible time getting my fluids and Protein down. Dr. Aceves repaired a hiatal hernia during the VSG. I did not think much of it but now I am wondering if that is the reason I am so swollen. I do not even know what the repair is. Is it a snip or a stitch? I guess I should have asked Dr. Aceves but, like I said, I thought nothing of it at the time.

Last night was probably the worst night for me. I had so much gas that my back and shoulders were hurting terribly. I took GasX strips, put on a heating pad, moved up and down, walked, . . . I tried everything.

Anyway, I was fine by morning. I think it was the Miso Soup (with chuncks of tofu) that caused the gas.

Today, I was able to drink down two Isopure drinks (40 grams of protein each). I can barely keep from gagging when I drink those. Today, I ventured out and had an Atkins shake (15 grams) because I needed substance. I actually did fine. I am going to move on to full liquids. Starting very very slowly, of course.

I start my new job on Monday 1/18. I really, really hope I will be okay.

I will keep you posted.

Hello Everyone,

I was fine at the hospital but I am having a terrible time getting my fluids and Protein down. Dr. Aceves repaired a hiatal hernia during the VSG. I did not think much of it but now I am wondering if that is the reason I am so swollen. I do not even know what the repair is. Is it a snip or a stitch? I guess I should have asked Dr. Aceves but, like I said, I thought nothing of it at the time.

Last night was probably the worst night for me. I had so much gas that my back and shoulders were hurting terribly. I took GasX strips, put on a heating pad, moved up and down, walked, . . . I tried everything.

Anyway, I was fine by morning. I think it was the Miso Soup (with chuncks of tofu) that caused the gas.

Today, I was able to drink down two Isopure drinks (40 grams of Protein each). I can barely keep from gagging when I drink those. Today, I ventured out and had an Atkins shake (15 grams) because I needed substance. I actually did fine. I am going to move on to full liquids. Starting very very slowly, of course.

I will keep you posted.

hey jill!!!

it's great you"re getting a jump start on your protein, but right now i'm not worrying about it too much, it's important to get all your fluids before your protein at this stage in the game. i'm sure when we move on to mushie foods it will get sooooo much easier! i feel a lot of swelling too, and it's hard to drink anything, even Water, but if you read over the forums everyone says it gets better!!!!

Hello Everyone,

Today, I was able to drink down two Isopure drinks (40 grams of Protein each). I can barely keep from gagging when I drink those. Today, I ventured out and had an Atkins shake (15 grams) because I needed substance. I actually did fine. I am going to move on to full liquids. Starting very very slowly, of course.

I will keep you posted.

Did Dr. Aceves change his post-op diet? When he performed my surgery, I was on 10 days of clears, 10 days of fulls and then mushies. If you had your surgery on 1/5, you shouldn't be moving to fulls until the 16th, that could be why you're having trouble - the soup with tofu (did you eat the tofu?) and the atkins shake - those are not considered clear.

As for the hiatal hernia repair, I had that as well and had a horrible time drinking - everything felt like it was getting stuck and it was painful. Come to find out, I was having spasms. Dr. Aceves had me stay on mushies for 6 more weeks and told me that by 6 months the spasming should dissipate. I found that if I stuck to warm liquids it helped to relax the spasms and made eating easier. You might be having the same problem. Try sticking with warm liquids, especially in the morning as you tend to be more restricted in the mornings, and see if that helps. If you absolutely have to have something cold, wait a few hours after drinking something warm and then try sucking on ice cubes or SF popsicles - they give you the cold effect but they trickle down your throat so you tend not to spasm (as much). I am now almost 7 months out and the spasming has gotten better; however, it is not entirely gone (yet).

Hope this helps some.

I agree that it is extremely important to follow the recommended slow advancement of the diet as Dr Aceves recommends. If you advance faster, you could develop a leak, and end up back in the hospital (or worse). It's not easy, and I know what you are experiencing..I had my hiatal hernia repaired also and had the esophageal spasms at first, then back pain when I started mushie foods. Just think about the perspective...do it right now, and you will have years and years to eat what ever you want.

Take it one day at a time, and you will be successful, without complications.

Okay, I will stick with the Clear Liquids until Jan. 16th. Thanks for talking me down. I feel the spasms sometimes. I have NO ENERGY though.