Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the scale is finally moving

Hey there...well the scale has finally started moving. I couldn't seem to get

passed 221. I was back and fourth between 221 and 225 for nearly two weeks. I've finally gotten below that, at 220...thank GOD !

My eating habits have gotten much better. In fact lately I'm not eating

enough. I've finally adjusted to small amounts and not experimenting so much. I struggle to get enough Protein in because I'm watching carbs, and calories. However I've found some things that have a good bit of protein.

Hormel turkey chili w/beans is 210 calories and 16 protein. I eat a can about every other day. I eating baby food meat sticks too. They are only

110 calories and 10 grams protein. Things are getting better all the time.

I can't seem to get enough fish in my diet, but I do like shrimp. I'm still having pudding, and Protein Drinks, and drinking plenty Water & crystal light. I'm walking a mile and a half a day also. I'm not as frustrated as I was, just trying to be patient and let things happen on there own. I'm still hoping for another 5 lbs gone before the month is over. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and happy new year!!!

Judy, it makes me so happy to read this! Congratulations on working your tool. Merry Christmas to you as well!

Judy, it makes me so happy to read this! Congratulations on working your tool. Merry Christmas to you as well!

Thank you Dee Dee, you are very sweet, always have been. I appreciate YOU and all those who have encouraged me and given me the support I needed to get my through these last 2 1/2 weeks.

I have been addicted to food my entire life. I have no control over it.

That is why I had to move to drastic measures like surgery. I realize I

didn't do things exactly as I should have, but not every one here has. Some of you have wonderful control and dedication and I applaud you all. I however am very weak, but learning more every day. Things are turning around for me. BTW you look wonderful!!! GOD bless you.

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Judy, How terrific to read this. I have been hoping to read a post like this from you. You're right, we wouldn't be here if we weren't compulsive eaters to begin with. I'm really happy that things have clicked for you and you're feeling good about your journey. I'm really happy you posted, even when things weren't feeling so great to you. Those are important lessons for all of us who are still pre-op. Thanks for sharing everything!

Judy,

I'm really glad you updated. Everyone stumbles on this journey regardless of their willpower or lack thereof.

I know it's long, tough road to tow, but you will find a rhythm, you will figure all this out. Just stick with your program, and know that you have something working inside you to help you along the journey.

No one is perfect. No one will endure the same obstacles, and no one can determine your success, but yourself.

Keep posting, keep up the Protein, keep up the walking, and remember every day is going to be a new adventure.

Hey there...well the scale has finally started moving. I couldn't seem to get

passed 221. I was back and fourth between 221 and 225 for nearly two weeks. I've finally gotten below that, at 220...thank GOD !

My eating habits have gotten much better. In fact lately I'm not eating

enough. I've finally adjusted to small amounts and not experimenting so much. I struggle to get enough Protein in because I'm watching carbs, and calories. However I've found some things that have a good bit of Protein.< /strong>

Hormel turkey chili w/beans is 210 calories and 16 protein. I eat a can about every other day. I eating baby food meat sticks too. They are only

110 calories and 10 grams protein. Things are getting better all the time.

I can't seem to get enough fish in my diet, but I do like shrimp. I'm still having pudding, and protein drinks, and drinking plenty Water & crystal light. I'm walking a mile and a half a day also. I'm not as frustrated as I was, just trying to be patient and let things happen on there own. I'm still hoping for another 5 lbs gone before the month is over. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and happy new year!!!

Hello JudyJudyJudy,

I went through the same thing recently, at first I was losing real fast then it started going real slow. I was only losing about a half pound each day for the last few days. I finally reached 216.8 which was 50 pounds lost since my July weight of 266. Since the day before surgery at 232, I have now lost 16 pounds. It doesn't sound like much, but my pants are getting loose on me, so I can tell it is working. I hope to try some chili soon, it sounds good. You said you like shrimp, well I tried some Shrimp Scampi from Long John Silvers and I took them out of the sauce because it was so oily and I have not been able to handle greasy foods very well. They tasted so good, I am going to try to get me some more on Wednesday. It was only $1.99 for a side order of 4 shrimp scampi but the small cup had several shrimp in it, and it was very filling. The only thing I had to chew, chew and chew some more before I could swallow them. I had some after I was put on soft foods, which is suppose to be anything I can mash up with a fork. I too am having problems doing everything exactly right, but I am really trying to pay close attention to what is going on with my stomach. I read where if the stomach gets too full, you will start burping, belching or vomiting. I am still having a hard time knowing how much to put in at once, but I am trying to eat very slow and chew very well before swallowing. If I start having signs of fullness I stop eating for a few minutes and then continue when I feel better. I know all of this is not easy, but I am so sure it will all be worth it in the end. I don't feel much hunger at all. I have more head hunger than stomach hunger. I am so happy for you that you are losing the weight now. I can't wait to see some new pictures of you. Please post some new ones soon. I am going to try to post some new ones myself soon. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

The thing that worked very well for me when I was learning to eat were those little tiny cans of chicken salad. They are right by the tuna in the grocery store. They are all made up and you don't have to add anything. I think the portion is about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup which is just the right size. I still eat them sometimes. You can actually get them at the dollar store.

JudyJudyJudy,

Swai is a very mild tasty fish, suitable for people who don't really like fish. (I think it's milder than tilapia). I find it at Krogers all the time for $1 per 4 oz filet and fix it all sorts of ways. Probably my favorite it to salt and pepper it, bread it with grated Parmesan and broil it until done (7-10 minutes) in my little toaster oven. Using the parmesan cuts out the carbs in a "breading" and adds some great flavor. I've also simply sauteed it in a bit of Olive Oil Pam in a skillet on the stovetop.

It's very flaky and is easy to digest. It might help when you don't have shrimp on hand.

Hello JudyJudyJudy,

I went through the same thing recently, at first I was losing real fast then it started going real slow. I was only losing about a half pound each day for the last few days. I finally reached 216.8 which was 50 pounds lost since my July weight of 266. Since the day before surgery at 232, I have now lost 16 pounds. It doesn't sound like much, but my pants are getting loose on me, so I can tell it is working. I hope to try some chili soon, it sounds good. You said you like shrimp, well I tried some Shrimp Scampi from Long John Silvers and I took them out of the sauce because it was so oily and I have not been able to handle greasy foods very well. They tasted so good, I am going to try to get me some more on Wednesday. It was only $1.99 for a side order of 4 shrimp scampi but the small cup had several shrimp in it, and it was very filling. The only thing I had to chew, chew and chew some more before I could swallow them. I had some after I was put on soft foods, which is suppose to be anything I can mash up with a fork. I too am having problems doing everything exactly right, but I am really trying to pay close attention to what is going on with my stomach. I read where if the stomach gets too full, you will start burping, belching or vomiting. I am still having a hard time knowing how much to put in at once, but I am trying to eat very slow and chew very well before swallowing. If I start having signs of fullness I stop eating for a few minutes and then continue when I feel better. I know all of this is not easy, but I am so sure it will all be worth it in the end. I don't feel much hunger at all. I have more head hunger than stomach hunger. I am so happy for you that you are losing the weight now. I can't wait to see some new pictures of you. Please post some new ones soon. I am going to try to post some new ones myself soon. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

The 2nd week was the worst for me, I hated all the things I HAD to eat, I was so not satified with any of it. So that is what cause my experimentation. Plus I am a compulsive eater, addicted to food as most of us are. After a LIFETIME of eating anything and everything, changing that all in one week was extreamly difficult for me. So I would try tiny amounts of things that satisfied me. For me it worked, but it did cause an early stall which for me lasted two weeks. That really SUCKED!!! I am now used to what I have to do, and it's not so hard anymore. The good thing about the sleeve is you can't over eat. I can only get a 1/2 cup down at a time and it has to be moist and loose. That is why Chili works perfectly for me, it's mild, has Beans and meat which are great Protein sources plus you can ad a bit of shredded cheddar to add even more Protein. If you keep your portions to 1/2 cup a a time, you should never over stuff yourself. That is what I do. The baby food meat sticks are good too, and refried Beans. And any baby food in which you can tolorate the taste is good. I like the apple, pear, and peach sauces. I have tried those little cans of chicken like one of the ladies suggested, they work good. Some things just don't work even if I puree them. Like pulled pork, it hurt even just 2 bits, so that's out. Same with pot roast. I stick to what goes down the easiest. At the first sign of fullness or even a tiny bit of pain STOP. Wait 30 minutes to an hour, and then finish as you can. Don't push yourself at all. My favorite thing is SF chocolate pudding with a teaspoon of light cool whip in it, all mixed up. Very satifiying desert. I still crave salty crunchy, but I've been able to pass on the urges. Patience is something I've HAD to learn. Your doing great ! Keep up the good work, since we are so close together on surgery dates, we should run exactly the same if not close. I was Dec. 1st and you were Dec. 2nd.

Merry Christmas !

JudyJudyJudy,

Swai is a very mild tasty fish, suitable for people who don't really like fish. (I think it's milder than tilapia). I find it at Krogers all the time for $1 per 4 oz filet and fix it all sorts of ways. Probably my favorite it to salt and pepper it, bread it with grated Parmesan and broil it until done (7-10 minutes) in my little toaster oven. Using the parmesan cuts out the carbs in a "breading" and adds some great flavor. I've also simply sauteed it in a bit of Olive Oil Pam in a skillet on the stovetop.

It's very flaky and is easy to digest. It might help when you don't have shrimp on hand.

Thanks, I work at Kroger so that will be easy to keep handy.

Judy,

I'm really glad you updated. Everyone stumbles on this journey regardless of their willpower or lack thereof.

I know it's long, tough road to tow, but you will find a rhythm, you will figure all this out. Just stick with your program, and know that you have something working inside you to help you along the journey.

No one is perfect. No one will endure the same obstacles, and no one can determine your success, but yourself.

Keep posting, keep up the Protein, keep up the walking, and remember every day is going to be a new adventure.

Thank you Tiff, your always possitive reinforcement for me !!!! You keep us all going !!!

Hi! I'm still in pre-op for the sleeve surgery, and I'm anticipating a surgery date in March. I was encouraged to discuss experiences in a forum, and there doesn't seem to be any "in person" formal meetings in Sacramento.

I'll be 37 in a few weeks. I'd always been an active person who exercised because it made me feel better, but I didn't get much smaller. My appetite saw to that. If I'd stop exercising though, I would gain immediately. My young son had a bad leg break in February, and all extra activites stopped. Now, I'm the biggest I've ever been at 246 and moving about is getting painful. So, here I am.

Reactivate, do you go to Kaiser? There are groups in Sacramento I think. Send me a PM if you'd like more info.

One thing people have to remember is that cheating on the post op diet is dangerous. It doesn't matter if you're a compulsive eater and used to eating anything you want. Not following the post op diet can put a stress on the new staple line, and can cause a leak. Then you won't have a choice. If you get a leak, you're on a feeding tube.