Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared & 2 days until VSG Surgery (12/22)

Good Luck Frank! Sending good thoughts your way.

Hello FrankMan,

I read the title of this thread and when I did it took me back in time right before my surgery. If you read all of my postings, you will see that the closer I got to my surgery date the more nervous, anxious or whatever feelings it was, was really messing up my previous sanity. I said I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster ride!! I think because of all the risks that we are told that the surgerys have, we tend to get really scared about not making it through the surgery. I have had several major surgeries including a total knee replacement last year and this surgery still made me somewhat fearful of maybe dying on the operating table or dying from complications after surgery. I was so unhealthy before my surgery on Dec.2 and I was hoping and praying that God and My surgeon would help me get through it ok. I had alot of people on here supporting and praying for me. Now that I have had the surgery I cannot believe how well I came through it without hardly any pain. The only pain I had after surgery was some gas pain and some nausea. I only had one small incision about 2 inches long. It healed up in 2 weeks, and now I have the ok to go back to swim exercise classes. I feel so much better than I did before surgery. I know I still have a long way to go, but it was nothing that I expected. But I did go into it knowing what could be the worst to expect and HOPING for the best. I cannot tell you how your surgery will go, because we are all different and we all go by different but similar diets. I can ONLY tell you what my experience was and hope that you and others will also have a good recovery. Just don't back out, hang in there and hope for BIG changes to happen real soon. The most important thing is try to take good care of yourself and if you mess up as most of us do, just get right back on track and go ahead with a positive attitude to do better. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I hear you about this roller coaster ride! I've seriously gone back and forth in my mind since Sunday, "Why am I doing this? Am I really doing this? I love food, what the hell is wrong with me? I can't believe I did this. What was I thinking??" Ugh...it's been crazy. But today (after all the meds have worn off), I'm feeling more sane, completely happy with my decision, and am very excited about this journey! :)

Come on Frank, we are on the edge of our seats waiting to hear from you. I am sure your fine, probably to busy running around to post your progress.

I am a ways off from the operation, but when it gets close I am sure I will probably have some fears. Right now I just want to get the ball rolling.

Merry Christmas and May God Bless

Well, you have already had your surgery at this point! Hope all is well. I will continue to remember you in my prayers. My surgery date is December 30th. :thumbup1: So please remember me as well. Hope your recovery is as well as you expected! You'll have to let me know how yours went so I can know what to expect!! Good luck with your diet and weight loss as you melt away in the upcoming months!!!!:thumbup:

I'm home!.. And again thank you all for your prayers and support. It all went very well, except I had some moderate pain afterwards. Nothing that the pain and anti-spasm medicines couldn't deal with.

The biggest issue was that I could not urinate, so they put in a Foley catheter. I still have it in until I see my urologist this week. And I can see just a few small blood clots in the urine. So I'm not sure why my bladder was affected? I was urinating just fine before surgery. My surgeon said that it can be a side-effect from the anesthesia and things should be fine in a few days. Nevertheless, I am following-up with my urologist.

Other than that, it has been great!... No desire for food at all! Even when I am around it and can smell it. I have lost 9 pounds in 6 days since my surgery on 12/22/09. And it's amazing that I don't care about food anymore. It was right up there with God for me! It feels like the "Idol" has been broken!

FrankMan -

Glad to hear all went well for you. Just FYI - it probably is the anesthesia. My husband had the same issue after shoulder surgery - like the shoulder has anything to do with it. The anesthesia affects the central nervous system which causes the urination issue (or lack there of). It should go away in a couple days, it did for my husband. Congratulations and welcome to the "sleeved side".

Frank,

I've been praying for you and wondering how you were doing so it's good to hear that all went well. Can't wait to hear your progress along the way.

Barb

I'm home!.. And again thank you all for your prayers and support. It all went very well, except I had some moderate pain afterwards. Nothing that the pain and anti-spasm medicines couldn't deal with.

The biggest issue was that I could not urinate, so they put in a Foley catheter. I still have it in (6 days post-op) until I see my urologist this week. So I'm not sure why my bladder was affected? I was urinating just fine before surgery. My surgeon said that it can be a side-effect from the anesthesia and things should be fine in a few days. Nevertheless, I am following-up with my urologist.

Other than that, it has been great!... No desire for food at all!.. Amazing!.. Even when I am around it and can smell it. I have lost 9 pounds in 6 days since my surgery on 12/22/09. 19# since I started the 2 week pre-op diet.

And it's amazing that I don't care about food anymore. It was right up there with God for me!.. It feels like the "Idol" has been broken!...:thumbup:

YAY Frank, I'm so glad you are home and recovering. Keep us posted on the urinary issues. I think several of us had issues in that department. I lost my sense of urgency to go for awhile, but once my Fluid intake increased, everything returned to normal.