Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only a 3 day liquid pre op diet?

I've read so much from everyone about being required by their surgeons to do a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. My surgeon is only requiring a 3 day diet. Now on the one hand that sounds great to me :wink0: But on the other hand it worries me a bit. :crying: I know the purpose is to shrink the liver to improve the ease of surgery.

Does anyone know if 3 days is enough to accomplish this? Did anyone else have such a shortened requirement for pre-op diet?

Appreciate any reassurance on this. Thanks.

I've read so much from everyone about being required by their surgeons to do a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. My surgeon is only requiring a 3 day diet. Now on the one hand that sounds great to me :wink0: But on the other hand it worries me a bit. :crying: I know the purpose is to shrink the liver to improve the ease of surgery.

Does anyone know if 3 days is enough to accomplish this? Did anyone else have such a shortened requirement for pre-op diet?

I just have to diet the day before the surgery, on that day I do the following, eat a light fatfree Breakfast, then drink only Clear liquids for the rest of the day, at 2pm do a bowel prep with mag citrate (a real poopy situation here) and continue with Clear Liquids until midnight, then nothing until after the surgery. . .

I never had to do a liquid pre-op diet. All I had to do was a week of high protein/low carb (less than 30grams per day) .

There's some controversial information out there posted that even 2 weeks isn't long enough to truly shrink the liver. I often believe surgeons do the liquid pre-op diet to prepare the patient for the post op diet, and clean out the bowels.

My program is a 1200 calorie (lowered carbs) diet for the months it takes to get from orientation until surgery day. My surgeon saw my liver on a CT scan done last week and told me everything looks great. He wants me to lose 10 pounds and get all of my appointments done. He only has a couple of days of clear liquids after the surgery. Kaiser Richmond uses the same diet for all three surgery types.

It seems like every doctor has different requirements.

Thanks ya'll. Good to know I'm not the only one. Kind of nice to be able to eat up until 3 days of surgery.

I did a modified Atkins diet the month prior to surgery (from my nutrition class until surgery date) and then he had me do 2 days of clear liquids prior to surgery.

I've read so much from everyone about being required by their surgeons to do a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. My surgeon is only requiring a 3 day diet. Now on the one hand that sounds great to me :wink0: But on the other hand it worries me a bit. :thumbup1: I know the purpose is to shrink the liver to improve the ease of surgery.

Actually, I understand that it would take at least 6 months of low fat dieting to shrink the liver, perhaps the surgeons want their patients to be serious about weight loss and to get a head start on it. Basically the three day liquids ahead of operation day is to clean out the intestines, also the laxative helps with that job as well.

I had the three day liquid diet and sailed through everything!

good luck with your procedure!

Because my surgery was so last minute and I only had two days to prepare, I wasn't required to do anything more than refrain from eating or drinking after midnight the night before the surgery. (as with any surgery). In fact, it was suggested that I have a "great last supper" the night before - - - - but with no pre-op diet or restrictions at all, I seemed to do just fine...

I only had to do 3 days liquid, or maybe it was 2. I can't remember. I didn't have to do the two week thing though. I know that for sure.

my doctor called me 2 weeks ago and asked me if i want to do the surgery the next day,cause someone canceled and he could do me instead. (no diet then)

i couldn't cause of my work,so i passed.

we meet a few days ago,scheduled finally for mid-end January,and he gave me a 1500 calorie diet till surgery.......

someone else i know did sleeve surgery without a pre-op diet.

....go figure.... it seems everything is possible...??

hi, my name is ana and i'm going for my surgery in Romania, my doctor wants only a one day pre-op liquid diet.

I've read so much from everyone about being required by their surgeons to do a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. My surgeon is only requiring a 3 day diet. Now on the one hand that sounds great to me :wink0: But on the other hand it worries me a bit. :( I know the purpose is to shrink the liver to improve the ease of surgery.

My doc's standard is a one-week liquid diet pre-op, but since I've already lost a lot of weight from having a lap-band he said I only need to do 3 days before my revision to sleeve.

He took my fill out of the band a couple of days ago, so I have 6 days to eat what I want. My 25th wedding anniversary dinner was last night and it felt so good to eat and not have that awful band feeling of food getting stuck. I was surprised that I didn't "pig out" - I still got full fairly quickly. Guess my stomach has just naturally shrunk over the last few years of eating very little.