Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So.....I guess I'm getting sleeved on Monday

Hi There!

I'm Olivia and I'm getting sleeved on Monday. I started looking into the lap band about a month ago and got turned onto the sleeve at the seminar. Because there was an exclusion on my insurance policy, I was able to get this ball rolling quickly, and, geez, Monday is right around the corner!

I'm in my early 30's, single, and would like to lose around 130-140 pounds. I'm not that nervous yet, but I'm sure it will hit me Sunday night. My surgeon is Dr. Dirk Rodriguez in Dallas, TX and I just finished my last pre-op appt and nutrition class today. I've been lurking for awhile, so already took advice of Tiffany and ordered the multi-pack of Protein Powder from bodybuilders.com.

Anyway, just thought I would finally say hi. I'm sure I will need this forum for support post op. I'm really excited about this new life and everything that will come with it...including the exercise!

One question though, my surgeon's post op diet includes full liquids the first week. Anyone have thoughts on that?? I'd rather play it safe, than get sick, etc.

Thanks for listening!

Olivia

Full liquids the first week...sounds like your surgeon has a good plan for you...be sure to follow it so you don't get a leak in your new sleeve...the first several months it is very important to follow the advice very carefully. You'll be happy you did! Welcome to the forum and good luck on Monday.

Hey Olivia (when we get pregnant, and if we have a little girl, this is the name we've picked out), welcome to VST, and I'm excited to hear all about your experience with Dr. R.

We'll be here for you, and if you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Some surgeons don't require the clear liquid phase. I'm not sure why there are so many different regimens out there, but I would follow his program to the T. Make sure you sip, sip, sip as much clear Fluid as you can though to stay hydrated.

Good luck and keep us posted ! ! ! Oh, and tell us what you think of the other whey optimum flavors. Everyone else who ordered them that I talked to stuck with the milk chocolate flavor, but I'd be interested to hear about the others as well.

Welcome Olivia! My surgeon also puts patients on full liquids when they leave the hospital. That is what I followed then for two weeks until I was cleared for mushy/soft food. I agree with others, follow your surgeon's plan. I can't wait to get to hear more about your surgery and weight loss journey, I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

Olivia,

You are going to love it!

I have been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks now (post op) and it was hard at first, but I think easier since I did it for 2 weeks pre-op too!

So you can do a week easy!

I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you are doing! I know you are excited to start losing!

I have lost 30 lbs in a month! I am pumped!

Good luck,

Rachel

Olivia - welcome to the VST family and good luck with your surgery on Monday - no need to be nervous - just think of the future and how great you're gonna look. don't hesitate to ask us any questions, we'll almost always have answers for you!

Hi Olivia! I'm getting sleeved Tuesday! I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing more of your story

YAY! I'm so happy to find someone who is getting sleeved the same time I am. Please stay in touch. I would love to track our progress together.

Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement. I just spent the last couple of hours at Walmart getting prepared for everything. Going to Walmart the Saturday before Christmas was pretty much my personal hell. I'm glad to be home with no reason to get out again until Monday morning. Well, I might get out to go see New Moon one more time.....:blushing:

A couple of more questions....

The dietitian gave me guidelines for Protein and Water intake (post op), but did not tell me what range to stay in for calories. Reading around the board, it seems that 600-800 is the range. Does that seem pretty fair? Should I even be worrying about calorie count the first week or two, or just worry about being able to get anything down, etc?

What is everyone's exercise regimen? Do you mix cardio and weights? I'd be interested to hear how much people work out in the beginning, and how it differs months down the road.

I think that's all my concerns for now. I'm definitely feeling more nervous every hour it gets closer. I've never had surgery before, or been put under. So this is all new to me.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing weekend!

Wow, that was quick girl! You are lucky you didn't have to go through 8 months of meetings, appointments, and seminars like I did. My surgery isn't until the 5th of January so let me know how it goes and what your thoughts are about the whole process. I wish you the best of luck!

Kermit, best wishes to you. Sounds like you have everything ready to go. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Kermit: I am praying for you today (monday) When you read this you will be on the Loosers side! Yeaaah!

You will not be able to excersize for 6 weeks. Just walk. NO lifting any thing over 7 lbs unless it is your kidlett. This is major surgery. You must let your tummy heal. Staple line settle etc. After the 6 weeks, you must start slowly. Do 5 min at a time. take a 1 to 2 min. break/rest between exercizes. and No weights to start. If you can afford it, get a trainer with experience in recovery training. BE PATIENT. Give yourself Lots of time to recover from the surgery. You need your strength to go about your normal day. Do not waste it at the gym.

Do not worry about calories until week 3. You need to get all the liquids down you can the first two weeks. Then come back to here and we will help you transition to week three. Your dietician did not mention calories because you need to constantly sip sip sip. Water Protein Soup tea popcycles. I wish I had had a dietition! Oh well I had VST. All my sleeve sisters here answered all my questions. Post soon! God speed.

Good luck Kermit! You'll do great. . . my surgery is next tuesday! Getting a pedicure done on Saturday and then buying my stuff on Sunday! Gotta drink good old magnesium citrate on Monday, poop myself to death, and then I'll join the rest of y'all. . . .