Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why do I still feel so sick!

Hi everyone, I was sleeved about 7 weeks ago and from day 1 I have felt sick. Its nausea all the time. For the first 3 days after coming out of the hospital I was throwing up all day and now its just the nausea feeling I get every time I have to drink my Protein Shake, I do 3 a day because thats what my doctor told me to and I am taking an army of pills, I take 2 Iron pills, 2 Vitamin D, 3 Multivitamins and 11 calcium citrate pills a day! the doctor said I have to drink 3500 grams of it so that totals 11 pills, and on top of that I have to take 2 omeprazole for acid reflux as well! I just feel like its too many pills and I just cant get enough Water in me. Try as hard I only do about 50 oz a day and even that makes my tummy feel sick. I have started to eat soft foods and that doesn't make me hurt and it actually makes my tummy feel better. I also have a real hard keeping down the Protein shakes, I have tried so many different flavors and none have worked!

On the plus side I have lost about 38 pounds and I am very happy about that, I guess I am just ranting cause I didn't think it was going to be this hard!

If anyone has any ideas on what Protein Shakes worked for you I would appreciate it or just any advise please I am desperate.

Sorry you are feeling so poorly. Do you think you could request some zofran? Sometimes when your stomach has been nauseated for a long time, it stays irritated and a couple days on medication can let it calm down and it will be better after that without the med.

I am so sorry you are having so much nausea. I did too the second day but everyday after that felt stronger and when I started nexium everyday and gas x strips I felt so much better! Plus that is a lot of meds on your new tummy, just my opinion. But the shakes don't go down with me either, every day a struggle to try something new. Hope this resolves for you soon, bc when things start to feel better and the tummy is happy, life is good and you are on your way.

may be you need to talk to your doctor about taking so many pills that early post operative. first month I was taking only chewable Centrum twice daily. now I started to take Multivitamin. one type was really nauseating and I could not tolerate. then I bought another multivitamin called ULTRA WOMAN from Good N Natural and i take it very easily without any nausea even on an empty stomach. I hope you will feel better very soon.

Take the Zophran for the nausea. Try Naked Protein Zone, we have it here at some super marets Shop and Stop an at 711. Some Walgreens carry it to. Refrigated secton. It is the only high Protein Drink I am able to tolerate since my surgery.

Hi everyone, I was sleeved about 7 weeks ago and from day 1 I have felt sick. Its nausea all the time. For the first 3 days after coming out of the hospital I was throwing up all day and now its just the nausea feeling I get every time I have to drink my Protein shake, I do 3 a day because thats what my doctor told me to and I am taking an army of pills, I take 2 Iron pills, 2 Vitamin D, 3 multivitamins and 11 calcium citrate pills a day! the doctor said I have to drink 3500 grams of it so that totals 11 pills, and on top of that I have to take 2 omeprazole for acid reflux as well! I just feel like its too many pills and I just cant get enough Water in me. Try as hard I only do about 50 oz a day and even that makes my tummy feel sick. I have started to eat soft foods and that doesn't make me hurt and it actually makes my tummy feel better. I also have a real hard keeping down the Protein shakes, I have tried so many different flavors and none have worked!

On the plus side I have lost about 38 pounds and I am very happy about that, I guess I am just ranting cause I didn't think it was going to be this hard!

If anyone has any ideas on what Protein Shakes worked for you I would appreciate it or just any advise please I am desperate.

Hello carlouv,

I can't give you any advice on your pill intake, but I feel the same as you that it sound like way too many pills. I can only share with you what I did to help myself out, from all the information that was given to me from my doctor, and what I did after much questions and research.

I take Centrum Multivitamin Orange flavored chewable tablet.( that is much easier than swallowing it even if it is broken in pieces). Another thing I started doing was putting each pill in the spoon of milkshake and swallowing both at the same time, much easier and it makes the pills not taste so bad. If one gets a little stuck I hurry up and take in another spoonful of milkshake. By the way I need to let you know that I have some of those plastic mugs that have Water inside them and I keep them up in the freezer until I make the shakes and that way when I pour my shake in them, they are sometimes like ice cream, and I can't drink it all at once so I put the left over in the freezer and have later.

My Centrum Multivitamin has enough Iron in it so I don't have to take any iron suppliments. I also read that you should not take your Calcium at the same time as your Iron, because it can cause your body not to absorb the iron.

Also I found some Spring Valley sugar-free chocolate calcium citrate with vitamin

D and K Chews. They taste so good, almost like a toosie roll. The normal dose is 1 chew daily, but it advised not to chew more than 4 per day. I found them in a yellow bag of 90 chews for only about $6.00 in the Vitamin section back by the Pharmacy at Wal-Mart. If they do not have them on the shelves, maybe they can order them for you. Also in the same area I found some sublingual Dots B-12 cherry flavored tiny tablets you put under your tongue and let dissolve for 30 seconds without swallowing. They taste very good, they never made me sick to my stomach. They are good for nerves, heart, lungs and other things. They were Spring Valley brand for under 6 dollars I think.

I also found some complex B Vitamins, but they are large and taste funny, so it is a big help taking them with the spoonful of milkshake.

I don't know if you can do any of the same things, but if you can than it should cut out many of your pills to be swallowed. Since the chews that I mentioned have Vitamin D and K, that might eliminate your 2 vitamin D pills. Like I said I can't give you advice on your pills because I am not a doctor, so please check with your Doctor or get a second opinion from another Qualified Doctor.

Another thing that should help alot is getting those soft foods down, because they will contain alot of the Vitamins you need if you choose the right foods. My doctor told me to eat Proteins first, then later I can have vegatables next and after that, later I can have fruits if I wish. I purchased some V-fusion in the V- 8 section of Wal-Mart. The can is 8 oz. so I have to drink it--- slowly----- and only drink half of the can at a time. It tastes very good, it is strawberry banana flavored and has a full serving of vegatables and a full serving of fruit in each can.

This last thing has been a big help for me to get all my protein in too. I purchased several of the liquid Protein vials at Wal-Mart where the Protein Bars are at back by the pharmacy. They were only $1.97 each and they are loaded with vitamins and 26 grams of protein. They can actually be a Meal Replacement if needed.

I hope this helps you or anyone else having some of the same problems with taking too many pills. I have several other pills I have to take besides the vitamins, so the spoonful of milkshake with each pill was a Godsend.(I used strawberry , and also chocolate flavored protein milkshakes from GNC at the Mall here in Somerset Ky. They tasted good separatly or mixed together. More expensive than Wal-Marts, but have a good flavor).

I hope all goes well with you soon. Have a great day!!

Edited by mountain_lover

I thought those spring valley were Calcium carbonate not calcium citrate. did you read the bag and it said citrate? I would love to find them in the citrate but my bag of spring valley definitely says calcium carbonate.

Hi everyone, I was sleeved about 7 weeks ago and from day 1 I have felt sick. Its nausea all the time. For the first 3 days after coming out of the hospital I was throwing up all day and now its just the nausea feeling I get every time I have to drink my Protein shake, I do 3 a day because thats what my doctor told me to and I am taking an army of pills, I take 2 Iron pills, 2 Vitamin D, 3 multivitamins and 11 calcium citrate pills a day! the doctor said I have to drink 3500 grams of it so that totals 11 pills, and on top of that I have to take 2 omeprazole for acid reflux as well! I just feel like its too many pills and I just cant get enough Water in me. Try as hard I only do about 50 oz a day and even that makes my tummy feel sick. I have started to eat soft foods and that doesn't make me hurt and it actually makes my tummy feel better. I also have a real hard keeping down the Protein shakes, I have tried so many different flavors and none have worked!

I also think you need to talk with your doctor about the huge number of pills...they might be irritating your stomach. eleven ca citrate pills is an unresonable number in my opinion. I take one twice a day. How many milligrams is your ca citrate pill?

Iron is very irritating to the stomach, and I'd take it after drinking a shake, for sure, to have something else in the stomach to help it go on through. But talk with your doctor. What you are experiencing is not normal.

Thanks for all replys and the help, I will definitely talk to my doctor about it again. Everytime I ask him he seems to think its normal. I take the calcium citrate chewables and they are 250 mgs each so to take 3500 mg a day I have to take 11 of them. I wish it was just 2 a day but I am just following doctors orders. Oh well I will take some of things here in to account and try them out. I am praying that it works.

Thanks again for all the help and I feel a better that I am not alone in this

I thought those spring valley were Calcium carbonate not calcium citrate. did you read the bag and it said citrate? I would love to find them in the citrate but my bag of spring valley definitely says Calcium carbonate.

You are so right, sorry I messed up. I remember now that the lady that showed them to me worked in the pharmacy and she had the bypass surgery and she used them after surgery. I ask her what the differance was and she said that it might make me a little more gassy. I don't know if this is true. Do you happen to know what the differance from the citrate chews would be? And do you know if it is ok to take them in place of the citrate ones? I am going to ask my doctor when I see him on the 16th Wednesday. Thank you for correcting this error of mine. Have a great day!!

I was told that we do not absorb Calcium carbonate. I don't know why. I will be glad to hear what your doctor has to say about this.

I eat them because they taste good, and I hope I am absorbing some calcium from them. I also take calcium citrate chewables though. I hope the dr. you are going to ask is a bariatric doctor because I don't think regular general doctors know too much about bariatric surgery patients.