Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nervous about weighing

Hey everyone, So believe it or not I have not weighed myself since getting the surgery. People are noticing that I have lost weight and my husband says he definitely notices now and I think I do also. I am just afraid that I will get on the scale and see a number and it will be disappointing to me. So many people have such dramatic numbers in the beginning and I am pretty sure I wont lose that way. I know it is everyones individual journey and not to compare etc etc, but...such is life. We dont always think the way we want to think. So, do you think I should weigh at the end of the month? Maybe have a once a month weighing thing? Maybe every two weeks? Is there any reason I should need to weigh more often than that? Anyone have suggestions?

Joon - I think you need to do whatever makes you comfortable. As you say, everyone is different. However, I would think that if everyone can notice that you are losing, you have probably lost more weight than you think you have. Why not try every 2 weeks and if you like the results, shoot for once a week. I know all the 'experts' say not to weight more than once a week...except the doctor's who developed the carb addicts diet - they say to weigh every day and take the average of the 7 day weight to determine the true loss/gain for the week. I might get on the scale more than once a week; however, I use Monday as my official weigh in date.

We'll be looking forward to seeing your loss when you're ready to step on the scales and share your victory with us!

I agree with VegasAngel that you have to figure out what's best for you. My surgeon told me, before I left the hospital, to stay off of the scale for 2-3 weeks post-op. I made it to day 8, if I remember correctly, so I don't think every two weeks would be far from normal. The neat thing is that this is your plan and you can always make adjustments as needed.

For me now that I'm able to eat more and my weight loss has slowed down (I also don't track my food), I feel it's important to weigh more often (daily) to help me make proper food choices throughout my week. It keeps me accountable when I don't see a loss for 3 or more days, I know I need to get back on the program completely.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to avoid the angst of the scale by only weighing once a month, preferably at my doctor's office which has the most wonderful scale in the world and always weighs me 3# less than my scale at home!

There used to be a resturant in Chicago that had a mirror in the women's room that was super flattering...I remember when the resturant closed down, my sister-in-law called them to see what they were going to do with the fixtures...lol...she wanted that mirror!

do what makes you comfortable!

I am with Vegas. Weigh in every 2 weeks.

When I first got sleeved I weighed 2 to 3 times a DAY! Demented soul. I am much better now I only weigh once ever 3 days or so. I have it down to a routine. Only in the mornings. Only in my nightie and socks. Only before eating/drinking anything. That really limits my scale time. And, I quit weighing mysellf on all other scales, as they all would weigh me 3 to 4 lbs less than my home scale. I am trying really hard to stick to the TRUTH. So easy to decieve myself. I am much more patient than I ever thought I would be. Thanks mostly to this VST board. Do not be afraid. The weight will come off. You have the tool and are using it. Have faith.

I gotta admit... I'm a scale Ho lol

I weigh every morning after I potty- and then depending on my day- I weigh when I get home from work.

Of course I'm always up at the end of the day- usually 2 pounds, but if it'v over that, then I know I have to make better choices and I won't eat anything late ( I usually get home about 9 pm )

It is a personal choice and what ever makes you comfortable. It just holds me more accountable-

I think thats how my weight got so out of control- I never weighed..... and if I didn't "see it" on a scale... then it just wasn't there.. ino ino ino- sick thinking...

G'Luck in your journey and your decision!

Thanks folks, I appreciate everyones support. I needed this push not to be so afraid to get on at all! I think I will try to do once every two weeks after the first month. So! That means waiting until Dec 23rd which is also when I can start to eat normal food. After that I'll do every two weeks. I just read someones post who said they developed a leak after feeling great the first 2-3 wks! That worried me a little as I have been feeling fairly invincible with things as I seemed to be having such an easy recovery time. I havent been eating anything crazy just maybe not being so concerned about COMPLETELY pureed cream Soups etc. If there are tiny bits that cause me to have to use my teeth a couple times before swallowing I dont worry about it BUT..now I'm wondering if I should worry. It seems like there are so many diverse opinions by surgeons on how to eat after this surgery. I am almost 14 days out now and I just dont think that if in my full liquids there is a tiny bit of broccoli that isnt completely pureed or a bit of egg in hot and sour Soup that that is going to really harm me. Is that naive?

No, you should be fine with that Joon being 14 days out - just be sure to chew them into smaller pieces before swallowing.

No, you should be fine with that Joon being 14 days out - just be sure to chew them into smaller pieces before swallowing.

Hi Angel! It feels so cool to be online at the same time as you! Like we are having a real live conversation!!! :-)

well we can have a real conversation if you want to jump into the chat room. You can do that and still check posts - just right click on chat and select open in new window...

**Raises her hand and says " Hi, my name is Tiffany, and I am scale obsessed."**

I weigh at least once a day sometimes twice a day. It's worked for me for the last 6 months, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I thought I was going to lose my mind when we went out of town for Thanksgiving. John forbade me to take my scale with me even though I had room in my suitcase. He was like "let it go for just a week." We made a trip to Wal-Mart and I snuck over to the hardware department to weigh on one of those scales. I know that it probably isn't the most healthy behavior, but it's what keeps me accountable.

I agree with everyone else that said you just have to find what works for you.

I weigh almost daily except when I am in a "stall", and then I weigh once a week so I don't get too discouraged. I've had several stalls, but still lose inches during those times...and am very happy overall with what I've lost.

I remember reading somewhere that people who weigh themselves daily tend to be more careful of what they eat and they don't allow the lbs to creep up on them, so that is what I do, but just in the early am like most of us here, and if the numbers haven't budged for awhile I don't get discouraged, because I know that eventually they will go down again. Happens to us all!

Since I can get obsessed fairly easily, I decided not to weigh except at the request of my personal trainer or at the doctor's office. I am fine with this weight loss being slow and steady and am a little unnerved by it being so easy at this point. Once I have my knee surgery and get cleared for exercising then I might be more curious about my weight but will not weigh more than once a week at the most.

I am weighing in once a week but have wanted to find out during the week if it's "working" still.... for me it's too obsessive to weigh in daily.. it will turn into a now I feel good or now I feel bad depending on the scale so I don't even weigh at home, don't have a scale.. I go to my friends so that I won't jump on it all the time. I can see, however, how others use it as a daily tool to keep them on track.. I guess it will be what works for you. I have a feeling after your first weigh in when you see a big loss you will want to get on it at least every week. ...

as far as the leak worries. I too read about that on here and got very scared. I saw my surgeon at 2 weeks post op and he told me that at 2 weeks you are already well healed and the likelihood of a leak from movement or anything like that was rare, he has never seen a leak after 2 weeks.. he told me I was more likely to cause one by overeating than exercise... and we can't overeat easily.. so I was greatly relieved at how secure he was in the fact I won't leak.

Hope that helps.... it is good to be aware but hard not to worry about the scary stuff.. reassure yourself by calling your own surgeon or whatever it takes to stay in a good place. :)

~Chandra/shutterbug