Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec 14, the start of victory or just another battle?

Hey all,

I have been posting here for a few weeks...(I tend to jump right into forums like these).

I figured with my surgery date less than 2 weeks away I better tell my story now.

I work as a private duty in the home caregiver for an alzheimer's patient. I am the case manager and senior caregiver, working 48 hours a week on average. I handle all his doctor visits, liason between the doctors and the family, and manage the scheduling, payroll and household staff.

I had a lapband placed in Sept 2006.

At one point I was up to 1.75 cc in a 4 cc band and life was good. I was managing my portions, losing weight, feeling good.

That all changed when I took my first plane ride. I spent a week not keeping anything down except the thinnest of Protein Shakes. At that time, my after care doctor was a five hour drive away. It was difficult to get off work or get coverage for my job so timing of getting an unfill was always a problem.

I got a slight unfill after this first "too tight" episode and things seemed to settle down for a month or so. I had another trip coming up that required air travel so I went to my aftercare doctor and had a smidge more taken out just to be sure. They took me down to 1 cc in a 4 cc band and checked my restriction under fluroscopy. Everything looked fine.

I flew, had trouble again, returned...spent a miserable week...and went back to the aftercare doctor. They checked under fluroscopy again and took out another .25cc. Ok...relief.....briefly.

Another trip just before Thanksgiving in 2008 (air travel again) and it put me over the edge. This time I was vomiting blood, sleeping sitting up in a chair ...(yes, at my friend's house while on a "getaway" weekend.) We'd go for a walk and I'd have to retch into the bushes five or six times in a 3 block walk. When I got home from that trip I insisted on a total unfill.

I spent the holidays rebuilding my strength and hydration, and gaining 8 pounds. January 2009 I went down to Mexicali to accompany a friend who was getting the sleeve. I had Dr. Campos give me a conservative refill under fluro, 1.3cc, hoping to find that elusive sweet spot again. Returned home, 2 weeks later had to have it all removed. Total unfill again. Mind you..I'm following the entire "bandster plan"...small bites, chew 9000 times, no liquids 30 min before or after meals etc etc...

In late February I tried again....this time working with an aftercare doctor in my home area...(only 1/2 hour away..YAYYYY...I had hopes this would improve things). He gave me 1 cc, I drank 6 oz Water in his office (no fluro, it's $650 there). No problems....at first. I lost weight, got back down within two pounds of my lowest weight before the problems all started. I had a trip planned (driving this time) and had him remove just .25 to reduce any chance of "travel stress syndrome" issues. Ok...so now I'm at .75 in my 4 cc band. Tolerated my trip, no major problems.

Late May 2009...and the same symptoms from Autumn 2008 rear up again. Vomiting everything, bloodshot eyes from vomiting every meal, constant belching, scalding acid reflux, eating PPI's like candy, swigging Maalox straight from the bottle and using up a bottle every two days. I chewed more rolaids, tums and papaya extract than a competive Chili eater! Aftercare doc #2 put me on Kapidex....minimal change.

In June of 2009, I couldn't take it anymore. I got a total unfill and started checking seriously into the VSG. My acid reflux symptoms would totally disappear when unfilled at least. The last several months...despite being totally unfilled, I often feel restriction, still occasionally vomit and experience constant belching which frankly wears me out. First thing out of my mouth in the morning is a belch, I go to sleep belching. Wake up in the night belching. (needless to say...it has all but ruined my sex life!).

I'm self pay, the band isn't even paid for in full yet and now I'm coming up again with $$$$$$$$$$$ to pay for another surgery. Thank god I've remained employed through this tough economy but there is no job security when you work private duty for an old person. (they could "go" at any time). I've really had to crunch numbers, rob Peter to pay Paul and put myself into credit card hell which I only can hope to recover from as my energy and health returns.

Which brings me to now...

It has taken a major cooperative effort at work to cover my shifts so I can be gone for surgery and recuperation time. I will travel alone to Mexico but feel very comfortable doing that. I have utmost faith and trust in the compassion and expert care I will receive and am at peace with my decision. My only fear is that something has been damaged inside and the revision won't be possible. However, I know that if anyone can do it....Dr. Aceves can. One way or the other...at minimal...this band is coming OUT!

I will return to cold snowy weather but I have a team of friends that have promised to shovel walks for me while I recuperate. My neighbors are the best!

December 14th is my day...keep me in your prayers and thoughts.

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it!

Dang Tracey you've really been through the wringer - and every time I read a story like your's I am so thankful I found out about the sleeve before having band surgery.

I will keep you in my prayers that there has not been enough damage to prevent Dr. A from removing the band and performing the sleeve surgery.

The 14th will be here in the blink of an eye and I will be anxious to hear from you on your surgery.

Tracy,

You will sure be in my prayers for a successful revision.

What resiliance! You are such a strong person, I know you will reach your goals.

I am so very thankful that I found my doctor and he talked to me about the sleeve and my darling hubby's insurance covered the sleeve. Thank you Jesus for guiding me to my wonderful doctor.

Good Luck Tracy.. I can't believe how much you have gone through... if you get the sleeve I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Keep us posted!

Tracy you are a courageous woman to say the least and I know your faith will carry you through. As I see it you really must put yourself into the hands of a competent surgeon. What ever the outcome that band will be safely removed and that in itself is a good thing. I pray that your stomach will be strong enough to sustain the sleeve. that said, after what you've endured, I believe that with or without the sleeve, you will acheive your weight loss goals. I know now,since my surgery, that If I just stuck to the pre surgery diet I would have steadily lost weight. You have been through so much and I pray that this will bring you relief and inner peace.

Tracy, I had similar experiences with my band also. It worked, it didn't work..I went to Mexico (Monterrey) thinking (as 2 different docs suspected) that I had an erosion. After the endo, it was found I didn't. Well, I was already there...the doc said he could do it (Dr. Zapata is absolutely FABULOUS) so rather than coming back, I said lets GO FOR IT...I did have a lot of adhesions around my band. And when they removed it and did the sleeve, the portion where the band was ended up swelling severely...shut off completely, hence I was vomiting for 2 days....once that subsided, it was a breeze. I'm down 17 pounds in 1 week!! I would do it over again in a heartbeat. Band to Sleeve revisions are a little different and need to be watched closely..but it seems from where you've come from, it should be a breeze...will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, let me know if you have any questions, glad to help with any info I can.

Thank you for sharing that Shontel. I do have concerns...and have to be there alone..but I built an extra day into my trip in case of complications so I hope things will go as planned. I've been totally unfilled since June so hopefully I've minimized the damage the band can do.

thanks again!

I think you will be good, I was totally filled...irritated, you have one up on me for that. On another note, I did have my daughter with me so she helped a little, but the mexican nurses were GREAT. I was surprised that most spoke no english at all, but we somehow communicated. It was amazing. When I felt sick...I just pointed to my throat and up to my mouth, they knew what I was talking about, body language goes a LONG way...they were all really wanting to make me better, no attitudes, only quality care. I must have rang that nurse bell a hundred times they'd always come in with a concerned, compassionate look...nothing like what I've experienced at times in US. (no offense intended to US nurses please, just my experience) I would have done it by myself, make SURE you get assistance at the airport afterwards!!

Wow Tracy, what a journey you have been on. All while working and having a life.

I researched the band 3 years ago. I was on some boards that had all kinds of horror stories. The main reason I did not do the band was the insidence of re-gain. I knew if I had controll of the fills, I would slip. I needed a better tool. I was looking into Gastric bypass, but the problems of mal-absorbsion, dumping syndrome, left me out of that. So I just did nothing and gained weight. Last spring I talked with a friend of my husbands that had the band revised to vsg. He had the band for 9 years. Hated his life, but, knew he had to do domething. Then the band ruptured, and his Doctor did the revision. Loves life now. That is what got me to the VST boards. I had to lurk of months and went away for awhile, thought it was too expensive. Then came back to it in September. I got my knees injected with SynviscOne to help until I can get knee replacements. The Ortho Dr. wants me to loose weight first. (duh) So, that was the final decider for me. I found a really good price in Mexico and went for it. My Dr. was 2K less than Dr. Aceves. I think if I was going for a revision I would use your Dr. I did just fine, but my roomie-sleeve-sister did not. Since Dr. Aceves did your band originally, I bet he can do the revision you want. From all I read here and see about the Hospital, His place sounds really good. I wish you all the best. Thanks for posting your story. Buena suerte bella amiga. (good luck pretty lady)

All the best to you, Tracy. My God woman, you've been through hell! I originally had looked into the band but had also read some horror stories and knew it was not going to be right for me. I got sleeved in August and have been doing great with it. I just posted some new photos taken yesterday evening at our holiday bash. Best of luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. Your surgery will be fine. Don't worry about going to Mexicali alone, a lot of patients do. You'll be fine, trust me, and there will be people there for the same surgery and you'll meet them all. Pretty soon you won't be alone, and you have all of us here. Take care, sweetie!

/ Ah shucks, Ma'am, thanks! I appreciate that. When I told people I have about 50 pounds more to go, they were like "What?! No, maybe 5 pounds more." Yeah, OK, they aren't seeing me naked yet. LOL! No, 50 more to go and I'll look basically the same only in smaller proportions. You look great, too, Missy; thanks for the nice compliment.

I know what you mean - when I say I have 50 more to go they say "you'll be too skinny" "you'll look emaciated" "a strong wind will blow you away" ... LOL .. they have no idea how much I weighted when I started this journey and have never seen me at a healthy weight ... I intend to see it through to goal ... then we'll see what they have to say!

/ Ah shucks, Ma'am, thanks! I appreciate that. When I told people I have about 50 pounds more to go, they were like "What?! No, maybe 5 pounds more." Yeah, OK, they aren't seeing me naked yet. LOL! No, 50 more to go and I'll look basically the same only in smaller proportions. You look great, too, Missy; thanks for the nice compliment.

AJW

NICE photo! You really do look great and I can see why folks say you have lost enough...but I know what you mean...I've only lost 58 lbs, 85 to go and people frown when I say I have a lot more to lose. So now I just say I have "a little more" to lose so they don't harass me.