Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about vacation

I have my surgery scheduled for 18th of January in Seoul, Korea. I am super nervous about it since I am only his 13th patient. He had been doing surgery for over 15 years dealing with stomach cancer patients.

Anyway, so I am going on vacation for Christmas and a little nervous about my diet the month before surgery. I am sure I will be fine, but it is just nerve racking to know I can't eat/drink whatever I want on vacation. :tongue_smilie:

I am sure you will be fine. Try not to get too stressed over the Christmas vacation and relax. When do you have to start your pre-op - can you not wait until after New Year? I'm only curious because I had to start mine 10 days prior to the op. I know that all surgeons have different requirements though so you must follow what yours' prescribes.

I am sure your surgeon will be fine as well so don't worry. I know there are people who have different opinions on this where bariatric surgery is concerned but you must have had confidence in him in the first place (do you know his success rate?) and as he has been performing surgery on cancer patients for some time he will have plenty of experience in that area of surgery where gastrectomies are concerned. I don't think you should worry as it's not like revision surgery where he has to deal with slipped bands, scar tissue etc. Good luck and enjoy your Christmas xxx

I appreciate the info. The boyfriend is just nervous that I will go all crazy with food in Vietnam. I don't think he understands that it's not like I am going to Italy with pastas and cheeses. This is Vietnam....

Hi,

I only had to do 3 weeks, pre-op diet and I'm sure there will be plenty you could eat safely, just go and enjoy your holiday, relaxing before your op is important too.

Good luck with everything let us know how you get on

I have my surgery scheduled for 18th of January in Seoul, Korea. I am super nervous about it since I am only his 13th patient. He had been doing surgery for over 15 years dealing with stomach cancer patients.

Anyway, so I am going on vacation for Christmas and a little nervous about my diet the month before surgery. I am sure I will be fine, but it is just nerve racking to know I can't eat/drink whatever I want on vacation. :lol0:

Enjoy your vacation and don't stress out about the food - eat what you want (within reason) - make healthy choices where possible and start your pre-op diet when you get home. I only had to do 1 week pre-op diet and my liver was in great shape according to Dr. Aceves. Quit stressing - it isn't healthy and counteracts the purpose of going on vacation!

I'd be far less concerned about your success rate with the pre-op diet and be way more concerned that your surgeon has only done 16 of these surgeries!

The liver can be firmed up and "de-fatted" in as little as a week of pre-op hard core dieting with high protien and low carb foods.

The body could take years and years to recover from an inexperienced surgeon.

Tracy

I'd be far less concerned about your success rate with the pre-op diet and be way more concerned that your surgeon has only done 16 of these surgeries!

I will be his 13th VSG patient. From the research I have done, it looks like when people have stomach cancer the surgeon removes part of the stomach that has the cancer. I can see how that can easily translate over to the gastric sleeve. He is not an inexperienced surgeon, he has done thousands of stomach cancer surgeries.

JeepChick..

good that you've checked him out then... As long as you're confident in his abilities...I get a little panicked when I think people haven't really checked...so panicked that I can't even remember a 13 from a 16! ...

Enjoy your vacation!

Tracy

JeepChick..

good that you've checked him out then... As long as you're confident in his abilities...I get a little panicked when I think people haven't really checked...so panicked that I can't even remember a 13 from a 16! ...

Enjoy your vacation!

Tracy

Research has shown that after a surgeon has performed 300 VSG surgeries, the complication rate is very low. That's the benchmark I used when choosing my surgeon.

Unfortunately, since I live in a country where the average weight for a woman my size 5'2" is less than 100 pounds, weight loss surgery is not very common. I don't have the time or the resources to go back to the US to get this done and Korea has some of the best medical care in the world. I am hoping to have children in the next couple of years.

On another note, I know someone who I work with who had this surgery done here at the same hospital. She wasn't very honest about why she missed work and the only reason I know it was her is because I did some navering (Korean google). I would love her advice and her opinions, but since she told everyone she had her gall bladder removed, should I ask her? Tell her I know? Do you think she would get defensive?

Edited by JeepChick
spelling errors

Hi JeepChick,

Have a great time on vacation and just try to make good choices with your food. It's hard for all of us, that's why we're here. Take care.

I will be going to Disneyland with the family 4 weeks after my surgery. I've got the diet pretty much figured out, but I'm a little unsure as to whether I'll be doing any rides that close to my surgery date. Anyone out there have any ideas about how that will work out?

Thanks!