Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

furious that I had to buy clothes

Family....(well...you are!),

Some of you will get this...some won't.

I am taking a little 4 day break in Long Beach, California (for a huge dog show) immediately prior to my surgery. I'll be seeing people that I usually only see once a year and have to look "presentable". I've gained weight since the last time I saw them and was furious that I had to go shopping for some new tops. I know full well that I'm not going to be in this size for more than 10 minutes after surgery and it ticks me off that I had to spend the money right now! I shopped the clearance racks and got a total of three new tops for about $55 but I'm still mad.

Weird rant...oh well..that's my life!

Tracy

Tracy -

I so know what you mean. You did get a good deal, though, and think of it this way - it's the last clothes you'll have to buy in that size. Donate all the clothes you outgrow and you can claim the deduction on your income taxes, along with all the medical costs associated with your surgery!

Now I have to ask ... what type of dog? I LOVE dogs! I also almost lived in Mishawaka...my (ex)husband took a job in South Bend and we found a house in Mishawaka; however, he decided he couldn't deal with the South Bend winters and moved back to Greenwood before I ever made it up there!

Bring the new tops with you for your surgery to get some more wear out of them as you will be bloated and needing loose -fitting clothing - but you will still want to look nice for sightseeing and the trip there and back. Afterwards, well who knows - if they are cotton-based, you can wash and dry in real hot Water and dryer for some shrinkage to occur and get a few weeks more that way. I am amazed at how many clothes I have to give away already (down 30 lbs) hardly anything fits and thank goodness for knits that drape better with weight loss!

Cheers,

Donna

Vegas Angel,

I have raised and exhibited AKC Bichon Frise for the last 28 years. I'm attending the Eukanuba Classic in Long Beach where four of my dogs will be competing. One is from Texas, one from New York, and two from California. (Color me proud!).

Mishawaka is a great place to live...five minutes from everything but still has a small town feel to it. My neighborhood is very dog tolerant and nearly every house has at least one.

Stoongal,

I won't have a choice..the clothes are going with me for surgery because I'm leaving directly from my "vacation" portion of my trip to Mexicali. I know the clothes won't go to waste because I can get away with wearing "looser" clothes at work without any problems. It's mostly a regret at having to spend the money on them right when I'm still trying to raise my funds for surgery...(self pay).

Tracy

Tracy - Bichon Frise are so cute - I had a g/f in Indiana that had one. I have a terrier toy mix and a Shitzu - they are so cute -- never thought I'd like small dogs, as I always had BIG dogs, but these two have stolen my heart!

As for your clothes -- two other options -- you could have them altered as you 'shrink' or, if they are the right style, do what I do with some of my tops and find a nice belt that can be worn first at the waist and then low on your hips -- you'd be AMAZED at the difference a belt can make and in the comments you receive!

Belts and I have never gotten along....but with weight loss...who knows???? lol

Tracy

I hated belts before surgery. I looked like a big wine barrel being cinched in the middle. Now that my waist is smaller than my hips, and I'm not as round, I had to pull out a belt to keep my size 16s up. The belt was one of those that comes with a pair of jeans from Cato. I couldn't even get the thing cinched last year not even in the first hole. Well, now that bad boy wraps around to the other side of my body.

I have kept some of my "fat" clothes thinking I'll get them altered. I just can't decide when I'm going to do it because I am trying to wait until I get to goal or below to pay for alterations.

This is uber personal, but I literally hate wearing panties. But, I knew I'd have to wear them at the hospital. Least to say, I hated buying huge panties before surgery, and I couldn't keep them up after 2 weeks post-op. I've kept one pair as a reminder of where I was, and where I'll never be again.

OOOOH, Tiff! You go coomando?!? :) I love it!!!

OOOOH, Tiff! You go coomando?!? :001_tongue: I love it!!!

Ha ha ha I wear panties on a rare occasion. Church, funerals, some social events when drinking is involved. Now, I don't mind them so much.

Pre-op, I hated wearing panties because all of that material going up my hiney was so unpleasant, and forget wearing thongs, the little piece of material on the sides would get lost in a fat roll, and it just disgusted me.

Let's not forget thrift stores. I have gotten brand new clothes at thrift stores for like $2. Sometimes I have paid as much as $4.

When I started ball room dance classes, I needed dresses and skirts which I haven't worn in years. I got a whole big bag of stuff for $20. The tops are very pretty silky type material and none of it looks used in any way.

OregonDaisy,

I love thrift shops...and often find great things there...WHEN I have time to actually shop. I'm afraid my "shirt purchase" yesterday was one of those rush things. I literally walked into two stores...checked the clearance racks for my size and grabbed and went. I probably spent less than 10 minutes per store. I'm working 60 hours this week to try to lessen the shock to my budget because of being off work for 10 days. I only had a total of two hours yesterday to run all my errands and shop for clothing for the trip. (thankfully dog show wear isn't terribly uber-fashionista).

We have a rather ritzy wealthy area the next burb over...it's great to go to their Goodwill store....lots of great brand clothing. (However, not alot in plus sizes).

Oh well, six months from now I'll be shopping the thrift stores again and fitting into alot more of the stuff!

tracy

Family....(well...you are!),

Some of you will get this...some won't.

I am taking a little 4 day break in Long Beach, California (for a huge dog show) immediately prior to my surgery. I'll be seeing people that I usually only see once a year and have to look "presentable". I've gained weight since the last time I saw them and was furious that I had to go shopping for some new tops. I know full well that I'm not going to be in this size for more than 10 minutes after surgery and it ticks me off that I had to spend the money right now! I shopped the clearance racks and got a total of three new tops for about $55 but I'm still mad.

Weird rant...oh well..that's my life!

Tracy

Well at least you didn't show up naked! :thumbup: Just have a garage sale after and make back your money. . .or give them to an overweight friend or family member. . . I do understand, it's happened to me often. . . it is very

frustrating and irratating, but at least I looked presentable and then sold them at a garage sale and got my money back. . . it's not a weird rant, it is life. . .

I wasn't a belt person before losing my weight either - used to say I looked like a feather mattress with a rope in the middle ... but now that I have a waist -- and HIPS - I like wearing them with tops that are a bit blousy -- and I have to wear them to keep my pants up these days!

I've been told it's time to go shopping again, but I'm holding out until after Christmas - I'll be in onderland by then (fingers crossed) !

OMG I went shopping in my own spare closet today and found a suit I had intended to take to a consignment shop. The suit top is a tiny bit large (better than too tight) and the pants are quite a bit too big....but I can switch out the pants with any basic black pants. Dressy outfit problem SOLVED!

Tracy