Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fun thread: foreign languages

I have a little american sign language, and can understand french and spanish. I still have hiccups getting the sentences together in my head. I took french in school but learned spanish through immersion thanks to the Red Cross

Hey Vines,

Thanks for remembering me. I speak Portuguese and Spanish (castellano from Spain). I am currently taking French and German, so I wouldn't say I am "fluent" but hopefully by this time next year I'll be fluent in them as well, also if I'm REALLY nice to A1ikou, maybe she'll teach me some Greek.

As for Thai, well here ya go Telly:

ยินดีด้วยกับความสำเร็จของคุณ.. ขอให้เจอแต่สิ่งดีดี

or if you prefer

yin dee duay kub kwam sum ret khong koon, kho hai jer tea sing dee dee

I took Spanish in school, but can't speak it very well. I can read it decently though. I know an itty bit of Japanese, want to learn more, but... we'll see I guess.

My other languages are html and pictures. lol

I was raised half of my life in Okinawa Japan, so I speak Japanese. I also know conversational French. My best friend in the world is from Norway, and we speak every night. She is teaching me Norwegian. At this point I am speaking to her solely in Norwegian when we talk. And I learned Gaelic as a hobby when I was younger. I also married a man from Georgia so I speak fluent southerner. :) Accent and all. It is weird, but when you speak a lot of different languages it is really easy to fall into speaking with a perfect accent. DH says I have a better southern accent than my mother in law. :(

I speak Polish primarely and English as a secondary language.

I know a little bit of Spanish. I am hoping to learn Italian someday as I would like to live in Italy.

My son knows English, Polish, and Chinese.

My sister if fluent in Polish, English, German, and French.

Well..........Yo hablo espanol! and my best friend speaks......get ready for this guys and gals...................................

English

German

Svaish (however you spell it)

Dutch

Italian

Spanish

And he's trying to pick of French............He can communicate well in all these languages. But he only speaks Italian non-fluently (yet)

Hey Vines,

Thanks for remembering me. I speak Portuguese and Spanish (castellano from Spain). I am currently taking French and German, so I wouldn't say I am "fluent" but hopefully by this time next year I'll be fluent in them as well, also if I'm REALLY nice to A1ikou, maybe she'll teach me some Greek.

As for Thai, well here ya go Telly:

ยินดีด้วยกับความสำเร็จของคุณ.. ขอให้เจอแต่สิ่งดีดี

or if you prefer

yin dee duay kub kwam sum ret khong koon, kho hai jer tea sing dee dee

:):(:) :) :cool:

That first line, was that a 'fur ball' or something?

((((that was waaay too cool, K@t))))

lol, its the Thai alphabet, there are 44 consonant symbols in all. But unlike Chinese and Japanese, each symbol is an actual letter where as in Chinese and Japanese symbols can represent an entire word.

Also the best part about Thai?? They don't use most grammar rules! No conjugating the verbs (French is the worst!! uuugh) and there aren't many articles or filler words. Its a tonal language where the same word written can mean several things, but spoken in a high to low pitch can tell you the difference in the word.

I'm an ignoramus. The only second language I speak is uppie duppie language - you put upp in front of vowels

as in

Hupellupo, mupy nupme upis Jupacquupie Hupintchupinsupon.

I can do it at the speed of light and mum, my sisters and I can have entire conversations in it. It freaks our husbands out. We say things about them and they cant understand.

omg that is funny. when i was in junior high my best friend and i created a language that we could speak around others and they would not understand. also has our own alphabet so that notes that were passed could not be read by teachers or fellow students. we got in a lot of trouble for that.

Had to see this thread after staying away from LBT for months. . . I'm fluent in Spanish, speak Portuguese (Brazilian/Yankee accent, K@t, in case you're wondering!) but not fluently, read French and Italian but speak both badly with terrible accents; in French I sound like Saddam Hussein doing an Inspector Clouseau impersonation. I used to read Hebrew (biblical, not modern) but that has disappeared along with about half of my brain in the past 25 years... oh, I forgot, I used to speak German pretty well but now I can't remember anything except a few phrases related to food and sex. So I can ask for a raspberry puff pastry and say "You have enjoyable thighs" but I probably couldn't get directions for the nearest bathroom.

This post isn't meant to be show-offy; I'm no genius, I just like languages, and I've got semi-Rain Man wiring for them. Now if only I could remember, in any language, where I left my car keys. . .

Penni, In answer to your "hope" question, sounds like grandma was asking the children for some help. I grew up in North East Texas, too, Tamryn!

hum.....I guess Telly doesn't speak Thai...I would have thought she would have said something about my comments.........

So I can ask for a raspberry puff pastry and say "You have enjoyable thighs" but I probably couldn't get directions for the nearest bathroom.

Whoever taught you german must have been a really fun! LOL I love that you know how to say "you have enjoyble thighs". I think that is a phrase that everyone needs in every language!! :)

I speak Spanish as the second but usually I make up my own vocabulary there. I guess it is Spanglish some times I am talking english then I drop some spanish in there..

I would love to learn Italian or French - maybe one day