Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out with the Band....In with the Sleeve

I had the band put in about 2 years ago. I have lost 30 pounds...nothing too significant. I have been very disappointed ever since I got it. I have been throwing up, had it filled, and unfilled until the cows come home nothing works. So My surgeon decided to give me the sleeve. I am not too excited since the band did not work. I think that the sleeve will not work too. I have my band taken out on Nov 30th and I am sleeved on jan. 20th. Anyone else have these issues? How long was everyone off when they were sleeved? Does anyone think that the sleeve will work for me since I failed at the band? I feel like I am going through another surgery for nothing....but I cant not do ANYTHING....

Is the recovery similar for the band and the sleeve?

Hope someone has some time to answer my questions....

Susie :party4:

Susie,

Try to remember that it's the day before Thanksgiving and you are not experiencing an emergency. People will respond as they get time to be on the computer after running errands, traveling ...whatever.

Tracy

I never had the band - only the sleeve, but I do participate in a couple of forums that are full of success stories with band to sleeve revision. They seem to have been able to accomplish with the sleeve what they weren't able to with the band. From all the posts I've seen I think you will do just fine. Good luck.

Susie,

I too have had MAJOR issues with the band. I will be revising to the sleeve 12/18/09. I know that I haven't had it done yet but from everything I have researched, we will be very glad we are doing it. All I know is that I am almost to the point of counting the seconds until this nightmare with the band is over with.

Just go into it with positive thoughts. I know it is discouraging to have gone through what you have gone through with the band, but, just think positively. You have lost some weight all ready so that is good. Just remember that we are gonna have to work with the sleeve just as we have had to do with the band. The sleeve is also just a tool. If we go into it with leftover negative thoughts from the band, we are not being fair to the sleeve to begin with.

We are gonna do great girl!!!!!!!!!!

I am a band to sleeve revisionist and I have posted quite a bit on this subject in the past. There are several of us on here, many with more experience on the subject than I, but I think I am right in saying that I believe your success will depend largely on your attitude and how you work with your sleeve. By that I am not trying to insinuate that you didn't work with your band as I, like you, had many problems with the band and couldn't wait to get it out.

When you first have your sleeve you have to stick to the dietary guidelines given to you by your surgeon. Foods not recommended won't get stuck but they will give you a lot of pain and will have the potential to cause you serious damage. It's not rocket science but it's not easy either and it is very important that you go into it with the right attitude and are prepared to do as you are told and work with it.

I think that the recovery rate is very similar to the band if you have laparascopic surgery. I didn't as I had major abdominal surgery at the same time and that was a greater issue to me pain-wise and recovery-wise so that's why I am guessing that the sleeve surgery alone is not so bad, but I am sure that there will be plenty of people here who might put me straight on that one!!! You will be up and about straight afterwards though and in hospital 2 or 3 days.

I think that if you have the right attitude and need to lose a lot of weight then you would be mad not to have the revision surgery as without it you will only regain those 30lbs you lost, if not more, and then be back to square one. But you really do need to give it a lot of thought and consideration and some some research of your own. Plenty of advice will be along here after Thanksgiving!

Good luck, Helen x

Susie -

Welcome to VST, we're glad to have you. Congratulations on your upcoming revision surgery. I can't speak toward the band, as I was a "virgin" sleever (been a long time since I was able to use the word virgin :lol0:); however there are many in the family that have had revision and have nothing but great things to say about the sleeve.

You will succeed with the sleeve - BELIEVE IT - ACHIEVE IT!

swanssl,

Your story sounds alot like mine! I too was banded 2 years ago and Ive only lost 30 lbs and I am so sick of throwing up and getting stuck! Fills, unfills, and just trying to find a doctor to do my fills....Sooooo, I am now considering the sleeve....I hope to have my surgery in Feb......Feb cant get here fast enough....But I have to wait for my tax refund to get the money together....Good luck with your surgery and please stay in touch and let us all know how things go for you along the way.....I will be watching to see your progress....For I hope it works for me as well!!!! Good luck and stay positive!

Lisa - welcome to VST and as I said to Susie - you will be successful with the sleeve. Keep us posted on your progress.