Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week out- Need some advice--

I've been reading post after post about post-op diets etc.. My doctor never went too much into detail about the do's and don'ts post-surgery. In the last few of days I have been eating 6 small meals per day. But my concern is what I am eating. I was given yogurt in the hospital after my surgery. I was never told to eat liquids only...just soft stuff (cottage cheese, yogurt, skim milk, soft boiled egg whites, broiled mushy fish) Today I even had a little blended up chilli for dinner. I never eat more than 1/2 cup of food at a time.

But it seems like a totally skipped a stage!

I haven't had any problems as of yet. I drink plenty of Water, have bowel movements once a day, and feel good overall. Should I be worried? Have I sabotaged my weightloss already? Should I backtrack or just continue to do what I am doing? I am down 14 lbs since my surgery but I am concerned that my weightloss won't continue. Could I have caused damage to my stomach even if I feel great/?:confused1:

Angela, how far out are you from surgery? I did ten days of Clear Liquids, ten days of full liquids and then ten days of mushies. Please let us know when your surgery date was, then we can better help you determine what you should be eating at this stage.

Angela - at 1 WEEK OUT, I was on clear liquids (for 10 days), then full liquids for 10 days, then mushies for 10 days, then food as tolerated.

If your doctor gave you yogurt in the hospital and you've eaten all the things you have eaten and haven't had any pain or nauseau, I seriously doubt you've caused any damage to your stomach. I would say continue on your program the way you are being careful to eat soft/blended/non-spicy foods for at least another 3-4 weeks. it sounds from all that you've said that your body is adjusting fine to your new diet. I am sure you have not sabotaged your weight loss now or in the future, IMO.

Angela, how far out are you from surgery? I did ten days of clear liquids, ten days of full liquids and then ten days of mushies. Please let us know when your surgery date was, then we can better help you determine what you should be eating at this stage.

I had my surgery last Wednesday, so today is 1 week.

Angela, I had my surgery done in the UK and here we are only on clear liquid for 1 day after surgery then we go on to liquidised food like mashed potato fish and some sort of sauce whizzed in the blender, really soft egg mushed up and yes smooth yoghurt, thin oatmeal, custard, and things like that , we don't do the Protein Shakes at all. I am now 3 weeks out and I am moving on to mashed food gradually that is any kind of food that can be mashed down with a fork, fish, omelette, minced meat and again add some sauce or gravey to make it go down easily if you have any problems.

Hope this helps,

I find it really helpfull reading other peoples posts on here it has answered all my questions and worries, so glad I found it !

I was on clear liquids only 2 days and was moved to full liquids when I left the hospital for two weeks until my first follow-up appointment. I then was cleared to start mushy/soft food (pureed) and remained on that for 5 weeks I think (that was not the norm discussed in my pre-op appointments, but due to a hernia repair I had to wait until my 2 month follow-up before I was cleared for regular foods).

If you haven't been having any problems, you are probably okay, but is there any way you can schedule an appointment with your surgeon and/or nutritionist? It might help put your mind at ease to sit down and hash out a plan specifically for you.

I was sleeved Nov 19. and doing well. I had an extremely huge hital hernia which was repaired but I am on the routine diet Dr. Avara has everyone one. I have been on clear broths, Protein Shakes, crystal lite and supposedly I can have Yogurt drinks but been sort of hesitant. Dr. Told me to just introduce new liquids slowly. I will be on this until 14 days then I can move to pureed foods like baby food and I can tell You I am about ready for that. As long as your are in contact with your Dr. and feel well I wouldnt stress too much. Just do what they say to do! and rest most of all.:lol0:

I was sleeved on 11-17. My docs booklet says 2 days clear, days 3-7 full liquids, and then about 5 weeks of puree, but that includes crackers, and a few other things. I have eaten a number of scrambled eggs, and it was fine - then read in the book today that I should try eggs the 2nd month...opps! I think if it goes down and stays down without any problems, it can't be that bad for your stomach!

I am surprised to read that some doctors move people right into foods with no liquid stage at all. I guess if the doctor says that is what is okay to do, we are not doctors so who are we to argue.

I was told that putting food whether they are soft or not, would put stress on the staple line.

I would say follow doctor's orders and if you have any questions, call your doctor and ask in detail to have your questions answered.

My doctor stressed that he wanted us to only eat 3 meals a day. He stated that he wanted us to retrain ourselves to eat only at mealtime and that if we ate 6 times a day that we eventually would be eating too much to sustain weight loss. He also does not want us to drink at meals or for 30 minutes after meals as liquids will serve to push the food out of our stomachs and we will get hungry faster. I find it odd that doctors vary so much on what they recommend.

I am 2 weeks out, sleeved on Nov. 17th, and was on clear liquids only for 2 days..went to a full liquid on day 3..including hot Cereal, oatmeal, yougurt.. anything you can make drinkable through a straw (but now straw)... I am doing fine.. today I took vegetable Soup and blended it up and had that and it was fine as well... I am hungry and finding that I can get 6oz in of Soups now and worried that is too much..... will ask surgeon on Wednesday if I'm on track....

I am starting my 3rd week today! I have been doing well so far. I have pureed my split pea Soup and had an easy time eating. I can't eat very much though. I can't even get 1 oz down. I drink my supplement all day finish it after 12 noon and then start my crystal lite. I only eat one meal and I know that is not enough. I hope to get a better grip as I progress through the next weeks. How is the other nov. Sleevers doing. Also, I have a very strong craving for Pickles. I know it is the salt since I have not had any. Any suggestions??

Edited by mona

My daughter drinks the pickle juice!

Are you getting some Protein in at all?

Update... am now 2 and 1/2 weeks out and was cleared for the mushies and exercise... went out to eat last night.. Olive Garden and had a bowl of Soup with chicken pieces and dumplings in it... I ate the small pieces of chicken... chewed really well and half the bowl of soup.. left the dumplings and it was not only very yummy but it all sat in my tummy very well. I can get about 6 oz down easily and was concerned with that but realized I'm eating that over about a half hour period... THRILLED that I have had no major tummy upset and yesterday I ate a half of a scrambled egg.... :)