Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are any of you tattooed? Heavily? Moderately?

I'm a tattoo artist, and I wonder what will happen to my tattoos after I lose weight. Most of my tattoos are on my arms, lower legs, chest, neck, etc. I haven't gotten my stomach or any really fatty areas tattooed.

I know it's weird for someone that actually tattoos to be asking this question. And I know a 50lb weight loss or gain doesn't really tend to affect them. BUT I'm 245, and only 5'3....so I need or want to lose about 110lbs! That's a lot to change on my body.

Do any of you have experiences to share????

Sorry, no experience really, I have one tattoo on my back (upper shoulder actually, so not really fatty) and I do not have any lose skin in that area so after 71 lb. loss it's fine. I guess it would depend on your lose skin issues on your arms and the locations of the tattoos. Good luck and I hope more people can chime in.

Only one tattoo - it's on the top of my right breast - I call it my "titty-tat" ... so far no change in it...BUT I have another 50 lbs. I want to lose and then have a boob lift and TT ... so not sure how that will affect my tat -- it's an Angel - wondering if after the lift, I'll must have wings and nothing else --- LOL

I have 3 on my back. One horizontial, tribal piece at the top of my back under my collar, a large Phoenix (bird) on my right shoulder blade, and small, horizontial tribal piece in the small of my back. I've lost 102 pounds, and none of them have changed. I was only worried about the one in the small of my back, but it hasn't changed at all.

I have one on my leg that I have had for about 13 years. It looks exactly the same thus far. I just got a new one on my left breast, so we will see how it looks as I continue to lose.

I have Snoopy and Woodstock and Tigger and Pooh over my breasts and so far so good. I will probably need a breast lift eventually to relocate my breast to my upper torso so who knows? I am trying to think of what my next tattoo will be-I am thinking of doing one for each 50 lbs I lose. Any ideas? I might go with tribal but would like something really unique.

I have a american flag heart thing on the upper hip area of my butt, where it starts to curve back into your back kinda. I got it when I was about 10 lbs heavier than I am now. It stretched when I gained weight. It looks so much better now. The color is more vibrant instead of washed out. It will be interesting to see how it looks after another 40 lbs. I hope it doesn't look like a pancake or something silly. I understand your worry.

Hey I have a question for you! I want to get a simple tattoo on my outer upper thigh area. If you feel your hip bone on the side and slide down just a little I want it to start there. It is a simple line and small flower design.

The famous question: Do you think that will be a sensitive area? I don't have much fat there anymore. My thighs are rock hard now. Very little wiggle if any. My butt only brought tears to my eyes when it got close to the back where there is no padding between skin and bone.

The design:

TATTOO TRIBES - Shape your dreams, Tattoos and their meaning - seagulls, forget-me-not, flowers, sea, freedom, love, adventure, escape

Minus the seagulls. What do you think? Give me your honest opinion on the design as a pro. Also with the flowers that small is the color going to appear to bleed a lot as the tat ages? I want to have the lines black, the flowers blue with yellow in the middle of the flowers. Just like forget me nots.

Thanks so much!!! My appointment is in 2.5 weeks.

I have a american flag heart thing on the upper hip area of my butt, where it starts to curve back into your back kinda. I got it when I was about 10 lbs heavier than I am now. It stretched when I gained weight. It looks so much better now. The color is more vibrant instead of washed out. It will be interesting to see how it looks after another 40 lbs. I hope it doesn't look like a pancake or something silly. I understand your worry.

Hey I have a question for you! I want to get a simple tattoo on my outer upper thigh area. If you feel your hip bone on the side and slide down just a little I want it to start there. It is a simple line and small flower design.

The famous question: Do you think that will be a sensitive area? I don't have much fat there anymore. My thighs are rock hard now. Very little wiggle if any. My butt only brought tears to my eyes when it got close to the back where there is no padding between skin and bone.

The design:

TATTOO TRIBES - Shape your dreams, Tattoos and their meaning - seagulls, forget-me-not, flowers, sea, freedom, love, adventure, escape

Minus the seagulls. What do you think? Give me your honest opinion on the design as a pro. Also with the flowers that small is the color going to appear to bleed a lot as the tat ages? I want to have the lines black, the flowers blue with yellow in the middle of the flowers. Just like forget me nots.

Thanks so much!!! My appointment is in 2.5 weeks.

my theighs were very sensitive yes! but not the worst! it's all relative! if you want it bad enough it will be worth it!