Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay

My insurace will not cover the sleeve so I have to pay out of pocket for the procedure. The surgeon I have spoken to quoted me 13665.00 for the procedure, plus an additional 500 for the consult, nutr. & psych. I know some of you have went to Mexico for the procedure and I was wondering if you could tell about how much the sleeve procedure cost there.

I had sleeve surgery Oct 30 with Dr Alberto Aceves in Mexicala, Mexico for $9,000 which included all pre-tests, consult, 3 days in hospital, all surgeons fees (including anesthesialogist, internist, primary surgeon and secondary surgeon) all hospital costs (OR, recovery room, medications, food, IV meds, take home meds), transportation from San Diego airport to Mexicali and back, 1 night in hotel, 3 leak tests after surgery) 4 visits in hospital per day with surgeons, pre surgery consult and review of my medical history, all letters needed for Flex spend reinbursement and letter of medical necessity from Dr Aceves. The only expense not covered was the roundtrip airline tickets to get me to San Diego. I would suggest you tell your surgeon to meet that price and that level of service if he wants your business. I would go back to Dr Aceves for surgery in a heartbeat. His service and that of the hospital was the best care I have received in my 50 years and 17 surgeries. I did not have to have a psych consult or jump through any hoops either. It is really a no brainer that Dr Aceves is the best.

Edited by Norma

"what Norma said....lol"

I'm paying a bit more than that because it's a revision surgery....but I wouldn't think of going anywhere else.

Tracy

Yeah - what Norma and Tracy said - I love Dr. Aceves to death and wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone to him or to go back to him for anything! He's totally AWESOME

My insurace will not cover the sleeve so I have to pay out of pocket for the procedure. The surgeon I have spoken to quoted me 13665.00 for the procedure, plus an additional 500 for the consult, nutr. & psych. I know some of you have went to Mexico for the procedure and I was wondering if you could tell about how much the sleeve procedure cost there.

I know all of us feel strongly that our surgery experiences were the best. I also know from my experience that Dr Almanza has tons of sleeve surgeries under his belt and that he is meticulous with details and was a very good choice for so many of us - there are several specials going on right now that cost only $5000 - $5500 with him as the surgeon. I got in on one of those specials end of Sept and it cost me only $5000. So it does pay to ask around when you are self-pay, as I am now having a debt to pay down at more than $400 a month. A lot when one is a pensioner, but could have been SO MUCH MORE with another surgeon.

Call the Emmanuel Medical number toll free at 1-866-806-4286 for more info and to see if you can qualify for a good special like I had.

Cheers,

Donna:001_cool:

One question. The doctor I'm considering in TX has a follow up appt. one week later, six months later and then yearly afterwards for five years. All is included in the $12,200 price. Why does he want to see his patients that often? Is there a reason? What happens if there is a problem with a doctor in Mexico. I'm not ruling it out, I'm just curious, I want to cover all basis. I've heard this one doctor, Dr. Aceves, mentioned many times, he must be very good!!! Give me more info!!!

One question. The doctor I'm considering in TX has a follow up appt. one week later, six months later and then yearly afterwards for five years. All is included in the $12,200 price. Why does he want to see his patients that often? Is there a reason? What happens if there is a problem with a doctor in Mexico. I'm not ruling it out, I'm just curious, I want to cover all basis. I've heard this one doctor, Dr. Aceves, mentioned many times, he must be very good!!! Give me more info!!!

Welcome to the VST Family.

I believe the reason for the follow ups is to be sure that everything is progressing as it shoud and to give the surgeons more knowledge on how people deal with the sleeve 1-5 years out following surgery. This is still a relatively new surgery and they are trying to gather information - at least that is what I believe.

I had my surgery with Dr. Aceves and he is awesome. He recommends a barium swallow at 3 months and lab work to be sure that all your levels - Iron, Calcium, cholesterol, etc. are in healthy levels - he does blood work before your surgery so you have a comparison at 3 months. He also asks that we follow-up with him (via email) once a week for the first 6 months. His fee includes a lifetime of follow-up and nutritional guidance.

I didn't go to see him for my 3 month - I went to my PCP here in Las Vegas. I had discussed the fact that I was having sleeve surgery before doing so - and I told him where I was having it - and he told me he thought the surgery was a good idea and he had no objection whatsoever to treating me after having my surgery in Mexico. (Now, this could be because he is from India and is not biased about doctors in other countries). Regardless, I saw him at 3 months and he said my labs were all great and he couldn't be happier with my progress.

I keep in touch with Dr. Aceves' office and if there are ever any questions, I have a response within 24 hours, generally sooner.

The $12,500 price for staying in the US is a good price IF it includes everything - all pre-op tests, the surgery, the hospital stay (I was in for 4 days/3 nights) and the anesthesiologist. Also, be sure that if there are other issues that need to be fixed while the doctor is doing your surgery, there are no extra charges. Example: I had to have a hiatal hernia repaired and Dr. Aceves did it at no extra charge; someone else had an inflammed appendix so he removed it, at no extra charge.

If your $12,500 covers EVERYTHING then I'd say go for it. Dr. Aceves' charges $9500 and that includes everything, including one night at a great resort prior to your surgery; however, it does not include the cost of travel to San Diego (where his driver will pick you up and take you to Mexicali).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll answer them the best I am able.

Dr Aceves did my surgery, and I highly recommend him. I paid $8700 for mine, since it was a "summer special" even though I went in late September. One advantage with him is he operates in a new, very clean and beautiful, full service hospital, not a clinic. You stay in the hospital for four days, and receive all the medications you need to control your postop pain/nausea, etc. You are seen by him or his assistant about 4 times a day, which is unheard of in US hospitals. He takes every possible precaution to ensure a safe and successful outcome.

I would even recommend him over the very best US sleeve surgeon group in California, who have lots more experience than anyone else. They cost about twice as much, and I hear from several sleevers that their bedside manner sometimes is not as user-friendly as Dr Aceves. You will be treated with the utmost respect and kindness by Dr Aceves and his staff, AND receive highly skilled care that is better than any I have ever seen. I am a nurse, with over 30 years of experience, and have had 5 surgeries.

The only downside is the travel in my opinion. I love to fly, but wish Dr Aceves' office was in MY home town! Oh well, can't have everything! His office does stay in touch and he likes to see his patients for follow up if they can get there. But since I am a thousand miles away, I see my local internist for followup, and communicate via email with Dr Aceves' office because he wants to know how I'm doing. The response I get is rapid and always helpful when I have questions. Call 888-344-3916 to talk with Nina if you have any questions. She's great!

I confirm what Cajun said. Thankfully, I am only 1 hour away from San Diego by plane or 6 hours from Mexicali by car, so travel to see Dr. Aceves is not too cost-prohibitive. I wish he was in Las Vegas, too - he'd be my doctor of choice that is for sure!

I'm just so glad to see that doctors now want to followup for five years! I think if there had been more followup to the Inamed bands alot of us wouldn't be needing revisions 2 yrs down the road!

(again...working on tea instead of coffee...so not sure that made sense).

I agree with the others. I was sleeved by Dr Aceves in July, 2009. It was a great experience. I am also an RN (21 years) and have never seen such care and cleanliness here in the states. I went by myself and although I was hesitant to do so, the staff made me feel comfortable and took care of all of my needs in a very timely manner. I wouldn't hesitate to go back for the cosmetic surgery that is sure to be needed when I reach goal!! My package price was $8500. Again, it included everything.