Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post surgery and I am starving. does this suppose to happen????? it is getting worse since I moved to mushies. today I came back home VERY VERY HUNGRY and was ready to eat anything. let the doctor's program get lost. it is true very little fills me up but again after 2 hours I get the same feeling. does this suppose to happen????????????I hate this feeling. it is stressing me out. I ended up eating 1/4 of a mashed potato and 1/2 cup of skimmed milk with two spoons of cereals. I know this is little. before the operation, I would have needed a huge quantity of food to shut up my hunger.

I have read that some sleevers don't lose their hunger till they start on solids...I'm still pre-surgery, so I am no expert!! Hopefully, it will be short-lived!!!

Hey there.

I'm with you at 3 weeks out. . .

But, I have not really had hunger. A couple of times I did, but I not HUNGRY as you are describing it. My diet from my doctor is not mushies yet. I am on full liquids with Protein supplement.

Are you supplementing with a Protein? Maybe you should do that to help with the hunger.

ReadytoMaintain

no Proteins yet. after one month out I will introduce a daily Protein Shake. my doctor said after 6 weeks I can eat anything but it has to be pureed, overcooked, mushies, or well blended. but true solid food only after 3 months out.

I also heard lots of nerves around the stomach are being cut during surgery and till nerve sensation returns back, the full feeling will be coming very easily. I hope this explanation is true!

At three weeks, I was hungry too. I think that it was because I hadn't eaten in two weeks. Then when I could eat real food, although it was pureed, I really had head hunger..and a little physiological too.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and I get really hungry, I find I have to have something to eat every 2-3 hours, I am really dissapointed that I feel soooo hungry, at the moment I am on proper food liquidised with extra Fluid, my dietitian, says it is all going to change when I move on to more solid food in 3 weeks time, I really hope so.

Bren

Sweetie333,

Please list your doctor's full food program--I don't understand what you are allowed to have if you haven't been allowed a protein/ Water supplement until a month out. I have no idea how he would allow mashed potatoes, a carb, before he would allow Protein water. That being said, I would not be following what I consider, as a person who has followed diabetes diets for 35 years, to be really sucky nutrition advice from a doctor unless I had a great understanding of the why's behind his diet choices. Some doctors have no real knowledge of diet issues/nutitrion. I would be questioning him about the diet immediately and then be researching this issue and seeing someone else. What kind of experience does he have as a sleeve doctor? Does he have a support group for patients and can you check with them as to their experience with his diet? Sorry for the rant, but I can't understand his reasoning at all.

Ditto to what Norma said. Those food choices are almost guaranteed to make you hungry again immediately! High carb foods ZOOM through the system very quickly and leave you even hungrier. I think when you add Protein into your diet (pureed at first) you'll feel more satiety.

Protein supplements can be added even into CLEAR fluids so there's no reason not to use them. I'm with Norma on the questioning of that doctor...that particular food plan seems totally whacked!

tracy

his plan is to stay on clear liquid diet for one month. and he is insisting. I could not do it and talking to you all here, no one seemed to stay on clear liquid diet that long. so after 17 days on clear liquid diet, I shifted to full liquids then introduced pureed food only 4 days ago and since then I am starving. I am not following what he is saying. I am trying to stay away from carbs and it is easy actually. as everything fills me up. so I eat poached eggs and I did tuna with Mayonnaise yesterday. eggs did not cause any discomfort for me. I Love it. also I eat unsweatened apple sauce.

I can't easily find a doctor who understand anything in nutrition following WLS. I know this is impossible in my country. I take all my information from you. it is not that easy to cheat actually since my stomach tolerates very little. and I kinda feel disgusted of sugary stuff which is a blessing.

I am almost one month out now. I am trying to keep my calories intake 800 calories. but I am not losing any weight since I moved from this Clear Liquids phase. I just have to be patient I guess and forget about the scale for a while.

I bought Protein supplement. I did not like the taste unfortunately. I don't know what to do. also my options considering flavors here are very limited. I will try to take my Protein from normal food. I am thankful that eggs are ok for me cuz from what I read, many people did not tolerate them.

thanks to you all for your patience and thoughtful answers.

Bee, that is what I was told as well. when I move to solids I will feel more full.

so hang in there and hunger will go away by time. I find when I keep myself busy, I don't think much of food.< /p>

I ended up eating 1/4 of a mashed potato and 1/2 cup of skimmed milk with two spoons of cereals.

Mashed potato and Cereal with milk are not low carb choices.. and neither contain Protein of any significant amount.

These are both considered "trigger" foods that will give you some very short term energy followed by a blood sugar crash which then leaves you feeling hungrier than before you ate.