Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie: Here's My Story (Slv: 12/18/09)

Hi all,

I have oodles and oodles of questions and thought to myself that I could share my story and all the things I learned here...

Start Weight: 275

Height: 5'8"

BMI:40

Current Size: 24 W/XXL - XXXL (US)

Goal: 170 or less

Marital Status: Married, 3 stepchildren

Procedure: Gastric Sleeve

VSG Surgery Date: 12/18/2009

Pre-Op Diet Start Date: 12/4/09 (2 wks)

Insurance: None - Self Pay

Surgeon: Dr. Edgar Leino

Through: Global Surgery Center (www.globalsurgerycenter.com)

Cost: $8995 for all procedures with 2 ngts in the Hospital & 5 ngts in a Resort

(NOTE: Only ~$500 is resort)

Transportation: Airfare from Wisconsin to Dom. Rep. (Not included in cost above)

What does the cost cover?

<Here is a snip from my invoice>

Global Medical Service offers a full service "All Inclusive" package including:

?All Consultations

?Pre-Lab Work and Testing

?Hospital Stay ? Private Room

?3 Meals Daily

?Diet and Nutritional Plan

?Support Garments (specific to surgery)

?Medical & Staff Support Service

?Blood Test & Screening

?EKG / Cardiologist

?Surgeon Fee?s

?Anesthesiologist

?Medications/Medicines

?24 hour Nurse Care

?Daily visits from Surgeon

?Complete Hospital Stay after Surgery

?Follow-up Appointments

?Transportation to and from Airport & Resort

?VIP treatment

My history:

I have had PCOS, diabetes, high BP and High CHOL for the past 4 years. I have been over 250 lbs since before I graduated high school and have been overweight my entire life. I have been unable to go under 250 no matter how hard I try! My highest has been 299.

I made a promise to myself to try my hardest until I was 35. If I had not reached my goal weight, then I was going to get surgical help. Well, I am 34 approaching 35 and still over 100 lbs away from goal. I determined it was time to do something about it.

This is the beginning of my story... the beginning of a new life, I believe... I will share what I learn, what I found easy, what I had a hard time with and everything.

I already can tell that my surgery costs are more than others, and it is interesting to find out what others pay and identify what ends up being a viable financial solution when you are self-pay.

I hope to share a bit more about what I plan for and have successes with when I start my pre-op diet. Until then, I will be trolling and learning...

FIRST STEP:

The first step, now that I have selected my surgery, doctor and transportation, is to get my local medical team in the loop. Get my endocrinologist and family physician in the loop so that they can advise me on any adjustments to dosage and so that when I come back, i can keep the apprised of my status and have a medical expert located locally who knows my situation.

SECOND STEP:

The second step is to join a support group. I am doing this site and I also plan on going to the local hospital and joining a weight management group with focus on those that have had bariatric surgery.

THIRD STEP:

Get a mentor. I have done that (Tiffykins), plus have a surgery date buddy (3636millie), so I am set!

FOURTH STEP:

Start investigating what other people had successes with in regards to a pre-op diet and try some. <<<I AM ON THIS STEP>>>>

FIFTH STEP and beyond:

Not sure yet... any have any advice on what to do next?

Umm, can y'all tell I am an engineer? Everything is either a list or organized as such... sort of makes me feel like I have control over it!

Look forward to continuing to post and to get advice from all of you.

Thanks everyone!

Aimee

Aimee,

I'm so excited for you, and your upcoming surgery. I'm really "list oriented" as well, and absolutely have to have control. I think that is one thing you will love about the sleeve. The sleeve has given me amazing control over food that I lost years ago.

Thanks for sharing your story, and I'll be right here with you through this experience.

Welcome! I love your list. Gives everyone something to think about. I haven't been sleeved yet either but I will be soon. I wish you much success on your journey.

I tried to go through the same surgical center as you have choosen, but my Family absolutely refuse to let me go out of the country...sigh...it would be so much cheaper.

As of now, I've choosen Dr. Ballanger of St. Elizabeth's in Gonzales, La.

13,950, everything included. I wish my Husband would let me go to Mexico, but

I've had no luck with that. Oh well, at least I get it, as soon as I get my BP down.

BEST of LUCK to you Aimee, welcome to the family!

Judy

I'm 10 days post op and have already lost 20lbs since starting my preop diet...which was only one week preop. I had the band to sleeve revision and the sleeve seems to be wonderful so far. I never lost weight with the band, but I can immediately tell a difference or lack there of an appetite. You'll see this a lot, the sleeve is like having a band that actually works. I wish you the best of luck.

Hi Wisc. Gal....I was just in Madison today! We are in Wisc. Rapids. It is EXPENSIVE to be self pay here in the north for some reason. I'm heading 'home' to Texas next summer and will save a bundle, although not quite as much as you. $12,200, but that includes everything, and I have friends and family there. I can't wait.....it's so exciting!!!

I am new here, hi everybody. I had a Gastric Band and will probably be getting sleeved soon. I am a little concerned about Dehydration Issues. Can anyone shed some light on thirst and qwenching it once sleeved.

Thanks.:mad0:

Wisconsin gal, the pre-op diet gets waaaay easier on the 3rd or 4th day. Much less hunger. That said, even though the hunger is down, watching the NFL games is tough today because every other commercial is the great looking stuff at Chili's, Applebee's or one of the pizza houses. :)

Hey there! I was sad to see that the Cowboys LOST!! We are Native Texans....misplaced Texans right now. :) I see Dr. Nick is going to do your surgery. What can you tell me about him? I'm guessing that you like the doc and his staff. Any info you can tell me about what you have learned about the 'sleeve' would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on making the trip for my consult in March and scheduling surgery for June. I don't want to wait, but it will be convenient for everyone, and we can work a 'vacation' into it after I recover at a friend's house for a week afterwards. All our family lives in Texas. So, between now and then....I'm going to be obsessively reading the forums and all the on line info I can find!

Thank you in advance!

Dr. Nick and his staff are great folks! I haven't put him to the ultimate test yet, but so far so good! He's done an awful lot of the sleeves so I am banking on his doing one more right!

This pre-op diet of 4 to 5 Protein shakes and one meal of lean meat and vegi's is a little hard, but next Tuesday will be here before I know it. Believe it or not, I am actually looking forward to being able to have broth, pureed Soups, sf Jello, yogurt and other foods with TASTE on the post-op liquids portion as I obviously haven't found the ideal Protein Drink yet!

Ugh, I bet you are looking forward to the other 'goodies'!! I'm so excited for you. How long is the pre-op diet? What kind of Protein Shakes have you tried? I was on the opti fast diet years ago, and from what I remember..IF those count, the opti fast shakes were NOT bad at all. I went 'soup shopping' Saturday and there is a LOT out there. I had Campbell's Tomato Bisque today, and it's good....I'd have to put it through a blender at the beginning, but the taste is good. Keep that in mind! :001_tongue: Keep me posted....Have a great evening!