Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all- I'm a newbie. I came here looking for inspiration and support. I have found a lot of inspiration. I need support because I am not telling my family about my surgery. They are loving but not supportive. They have noticed a little weight loss but haven't a clue what I'm up to. Whenever I get some courage to share details they say something like, "Let me take that _____ out of your way since you're finally staring to lose weight, and it's about time."Fill in the blank with any type of food. I will be sleeved on November 24th at South Bay Kaiser. So far I am a bit scared but excited to start my jouney. Thanks for letting me lurk around and gain inspiration from your stories and advice.

Hi all- I'm a newbie. I came here looking for inspiration and support. I have found a lot of inspiration. I need support because I am not telling my family about my surgery. They are loving but not supportive. They have noticed a little weight loss but haven't a clue what I'm up to. Whenever I get some courage to share details they say something like, "Let me take that _____ out of your way since you're finally staring to lose weight, and it's about time."Fill in the blank with any type of food. I will be sleeved on November 24th at South Bay Kaiser. So far I am a bit scared but excited to start my jouney. Thanks for letting me lurk around and gain inspiration from your stories and advice.

You've already lost 1/5 of your excess weight and have not even had surgery yet. I'd say you are doing great! keep it up!

my family is not supportive too but I am blessed by knowing such wonderful ladies in this site. they are angels and they support each other from the heart. but I think you should have some relative or neighbour with you during surgery. best wishes for a speedy and smooth recovery. my thoughts and prayers for you.

I'm sorry your family isn't very supportive, but we'll be here for you through this journey.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post, or even send me a private message on here. If someone doesn't know the answer, we'll find it for you.

Stay strong and positive.

We are all more than happy to help. You will receive all the support you could possibly ask for on this board. It's too bad your family is not supportive, but we can be your family.

Hi Fromheadtotoe!!

Welcome to our Family!! Glad to have you hear and by looking at you ticker- seems like you're off to a great start!

As everyone said.... we're here to support- encourage and help in the best way we know how- having gone thru it ourselves!!

Feel free to PM me as well- be glad to help anyway I can!

And- Congratulations on your date!! It was one of the best decisons I ever made!!

Welcome! I'm so happy you found this group of really supportive people. I've found both support and encouragement when sharing frustrations and successes, I know you will too. Congratulations on your upcoming date, you are off to a fantastic start already!

It was so nice to wake up this morning and read all the encouraging messages. I have been "preparing" for surgery for a year now through Kaiser programs. Yes, I have lost some weight but the journey has been long and difficult. I look forward to getting my new tool.:thumbup1:

I will have a very dear friend be with me on my surgery day, and I have my pre-op friends through the Options classes as well, so I am not entirely alone. And now I feel I have friends on this forum.

Thank you for your warm welcome and I definately appreciate all prayers and good thoughts.

fromheadtotoe - Welcome welcome welcome - we are so very happy to have you join our ever-growing family and will be here for you anytime you need us.

If you have any questions or concerns, or need to vent or rant, please feel free to IM me anytime - my family wouldn't have been supportive either, so I just never told them - so I know what you're going through on that end. It is great you will have a close caring friend with you for your surgery.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

I didnt tell most of my family either till I was already on the way. Some found out the day of the surgery. Not because they wouldnt have supported me but because you know going to mexico and all, there would have been nothing but worry.

Fromheadtotoe I know how you must feel as I just had mine done last week and i was close to cutting my losses backing out but after the support I got from here I did it and feel great after 5 days.... I dont even feel like nothing was really done except im full and loosing weight :thumbup1:

I told everyone (facebook, friends, employer and co-workers, extended family) and knew that most of family would not be supportive. That worked well for me but I am headstrong and independent anyway. Any resistance that I got just made my resolve stronger. But, then, I have been on my own since age 15 and limit my involment with toxic people (i.e., some extended family or co-workers). I knew that having the sleeve was the only thing that I could do to save my life and turn around my health issues. I told the nay sayers that they could shut up unless they were willing to pay for my surgery and for all my medical costs for life. Alas, I had to self pay everything, but I had no problems with people trying to talk me out of it. Some worried about the Mexico thing, but I had checked out Dr Aceves and Almater and had not concerns myself. I fowarded some posts by recent surgery patients to ease my friends and family members fears.

If you have any concerns or if you want any help finding a therapist in your area for the head hunger and emotional issues that weight loss will stir up, PM me and I will help you with that. I am a therapist with 35+ years of experience. You will have all the support you want here on this site.:thumbup1:

Norma,

I hadn't been on the site for a while. It is good to see you posting again as when I was here last it had been a few weeks since you had posted. Was wondering how you were doing.

I did not tell all my family either. I just did not want to fight over this PERSONAL decision. I would not have done it with out my husbands support. I did have to fight there a bit, but, it was worth it. As he is my partner for life (36 years and still going) I was willing to wait him out and get him on board. I am glad you have a friend to go with you. Whish your family could be more so. I may tell mine at some point. As it is they are all chimming in about my Protein diet and how that is not good for me. hahahahaha. sheeze!

Welcome to the forum. I did not tell my family either. My hubby knows and one daughter. I didn't think it was anyones business but mine. Good luck on your journey. We are here for you.