Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new to forums & vsg

Hi, I have never used a forum before so I hope this is ok.

I live in the North of England, and I had my VSG op last wednesday,everything seems to be going well, wounds are healing well, and I am managing to eat & drink ok, and that it what is worring me, I seem to be able to manage everything too easily, already today for breakfast I had 150ml of runny oatmeal, mid morning I had about the same amount of fat free yoghurt, and for lunch I had 2tbls of liquidised fish with parsley sauce with 1tbls mashed potato. None of these foods gave me any problems, does this sound ok for 1 week out of surgery ?:001_tongue:

Hi, I have never used a forum before so I hope this is ok.

I live in the North of England, and I had my VSG op last wednesday,everything seems to be going well, wounds are healing well, and I am managing to eat & drink ok, and that it what is worring me, I seem to be able to manage everything too easily, already today for Breakfast I had 150ml of runny oatmeal, mid morning I had about the same amount of fat free yoghurt, and for lunch I had 2tbls of liquidised fish with parsley sauce with 1tbls mashed potato. None of these foods gave me any problems, does this sound ok for 1 week out of surgery ?:001_tongue:

Yes, for many their new baby tummies can handle soft diets a week out, I was one of those too, I made lentil Soup (see recipe section) and lived on it all thru the second week, as well as applesauce, cottage cheese, babybel cheese, poached egg, and yogurt, anything to get some variety. Now at 6 weeks I am eating pretty normally, just not very much - can get in a whole Protein Bar and at 300 hundred calories, use them only for a treat. Some of my breakfasts now are a few Tbsps of cooked oatmeal (not runny) with blueberries (about a rounded Tbsp) and the same amount of hemp-hearts - full of essential oils and Protein. (IMO better than flax) I don't even add milk but do add a tsp sugar to make it more tasty. I had steak the other night (tenderloin done on the barbeque) a small portion only with a tiny bit of potato and several tbsps of peas. what a treat!

So enjoy the adventure, if your tummy can handle the soft foods, I say go for it! I believe common sense should dictate our choices but early on we need to really chew well and go slow with new things.

Cheers,

Donna:001_cool:

Thanks Donna,

it really puts my mind at rest to hear that, I really thought I would not manage anything much at all, and if I manage a tiny steak in the future, I will be so happy.

Look forward to talking again.

Bren.:001_tongue:

Bee-

Welcome to the VST family and congratulations on your surgery. It sounds as though you are doing quite well - keep up the good work and, as Donna said, use your commen sense - you know your body better than anyone, so listen to it and take guidance from what it is "telling you" and you'll continue to do great.

Most of us were on a liquid diet for a few weeks after surgery but if your doctor gave you the go ahead on the foods that you're eating, then you're doing great!

Welcome to VST! I had never participated on a message board before this either, but I found this place to be so inviting with a lot of great people, that it wasn't hard to start. I can't wait to hear more about your journey, good luck!

You are doing fine. You would know if it was wrong. Vomiting, not being able to swallow. Your tumm will let you know what is does not want. Just remember to chew you food too tiny liquid bits. I learned not to swallow a "wadded up " bit. Just to spit it out. take it slow.

Congrats on your surgery and WELCOME to the forum!!

Its a heck of a ride!! LOL But great to have you with us on the losers side!~!

Everyone is so nice, I am really glad I found this site, my surgeon does mainly gastric band & bypass surgery so I don't have anyone to talk to that has had the same op, now I have all of you I feel less panic stricken because you are all going through exactly the same as me and hopefully someone can answer any of the stupid little questions that pop into my head from time to time.

Thank you all for being there.

Hey Bee, and welcome to VST. I agree with the other ladies that said it sounds like you're doing great. Ask any question, usually if one of us around doesn't know the answer, we'll help ya find it.

Glad you found us too. We are all happy to help, so don't be afraid to ask anything. We all started out with questions too!

I can managa anything too and I am about 17 days out of surgery. but only little. it is just the burping sensation and gurgling which is annoying me. I hope this will vanish one day.

I can managa anything too and I am about 17 days out of surgery. but only little. it is just the burping sensation and gurgling which is annoying me. I hope this will vanish one day.

It diminishes with time - don't rush your healing - stick to your post-op diet to the T - it's short term and you can do anything that doesn't last forever - so just know that there is a reason for it and that it won't last indefinitely - you'll be able to eat normal food again, just not now while your new stomach is healing.