Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey people! I am so excited to find this forum. I've done my research and I'm convinced VSG is the right procedure for me. My problem.....NO INSURANCE! My job does not offer any benefits and I don't have the finances to cross the border. Also, my family would have a major fit if they knew I went Mexico to have surgery. They don't even know I've been looking into surgery. If I did have the courage and money to travel, I would definitely let Dr. Alvarez perform the surgery.

The biggest motivation for me to lose the weight is my desire to have a family. I am not married and don't have any kids. I know that when at a healthy weight, pregnancy is easier and less risky for mom and baby. I want to be able to keep up with my kids (all 4-5 of them). I also don't want to be fat on my wedding day. I don't have any health issues at the moment but high blood pressure does run in my family so I want to lessen my risk of developing that and diabetes. The latter doesn't run in my fam (surprisingly because I'm Black) but being overweight makes me a prime candidate to have it.

I have the typical history of being overweight all my life, being the big little sister, and basically the only overweight person in my immediate fam. I was average at the age of 5 but things went left after that. I've tried to do the diet thing and work out but it seems that after I lose 10 or 15 lbs, that's it! I am doing weight watchers and I've lost 9 lbs so far. I'm trying to get to the 250's by the new year. Currently I'm in the 260's (shhh!) :confused1: and stand 5'7. With VSG I would be happy just to make it below 200. For health purposes, I should aim to be in the normal BMI range which is below 160 for my height. I can't fathom being in the 150's. I would probably look ill but that is so far in the future I won't stress that number right now!

I am hoping to get a job with benefits soon. I am a nursing assistant and was shocked that my company didn't offer health insurance but I need a paycheck so I had to take it. I start nursing school in January so scheduling will be an issue but I'm goingn to try to make it work! If all goes well, I'll schedule the surgery during a break from school so that I won't get behind.

I guess I've told enough of my business for one day, lol. I look forward to meeting some interesting people up here and getting some good info! You can check out my youtube page under the same username.

Later!!

Hi LapGryl,

This is an awesome sight isn't it. I have scheduled my surgery with Dr. Alvarez for the 8th of Dec. I think he is the right choice for me too. I have great insurance but it does excluded any kind of bariatric surgery or treatment regardless of what loopholes you may go thur. My husband is the most wonderful man in the whole world and told me if I thought this was right for me, he would trust me and we would find a way to self-pay. And we by God's grace we have. I just wanted to mention to you that I have spoken to someone else who went to Dr. Alvarez and they said that he has excellent finance programs. I don't know much more than that but it might be something you would want to check out with them.

I wish you all the best. Don't ever give up! Our health is more important than ANYTHING!

Welcome LapGyrl! I'm so happy that you have made a decision and can now work towards getting in a position to get it done. I also did this to become healthier and hopefully have a healthy pregnancy in the not so far off future.

Good luck on your journey and definitely keep us posted. I have found this site to be such a wealth of information and full of kind and caring people.

Where there is a will, there is always a way! congratulations on finding your way and I wish you the very best future! Wish I had started on this journey when I was young like you!

Where there is a will, there is always a way! congratulations on finding your way and I wish you the very best future! Wish I had started on this journey when I was young like you!

Yes I agree, Cajun. If I don't get approved the first time, I will go to plan B, C and so on! From what I hear, due to the new studies being published, approval for the sleeve will become more common. Maybe this is a sign that by the time I get insurance coverage the chances of my surgery being approved will be higher.

My family will also freak when (hmmm....IF) they find out that I'm having surgery in Mexico, too, but it's really an unreasonable bias. If you do your homework and pick a surgeon you know is qualified and who has a good track record, there's nothing more to fear than having it at home. Something I've heard a lot on the board is that people felt the quality of care they received was really far greater than what they would have gotten in the U.S. what with doctors and especially nurses being stretched so thin these days. Self-pay can seem impossible, but it can be done. Best of luck to you, and here's hoping all your dreams come true!

My family will also freak when (hmmm....IF) they find out that I'm having surgery in Mexico, too, but it's really an unreasonable bias. If you do your homework and pick a surgeon you know is qualified and who has a good track record, there's nothing more to fear than having it at home. Something I've heard a lot on the board is that people felt the quality of care they received was really far greater than what they would have gotten in the U.S. what with doctors and especially nurses being stretched so thin these days. Self-pay can seem impossible, but it can be done. Best of luck to you, and here's hoping all your dreams come true!

I've heard the same about the hospitals. People that I know who have went there for surgery say the care they received was phenomenal. The doctors make housecalls (or rather hotelcalls) after discharge and the hospital rooms are spacious, clean and very modern. Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Welcome LapGyrl to the first steps of your journey. It sounds like you are taking your time and doing your research. Last on my list was to tell some of my family I was going to Mexico for WLS. It was need to know basis, only my husband and sister, 2 friends have known a little longer. I read where some people let everyone know and others who go to Mexico without telling there husband.

As you will probably note in the advertisements there are many credit services available for surgery. I don't know what your credit situation is but I remember reading somebody's blog who actually financed with the doctors office and made monthly payments.

Good luck and thank you for the kind words you left on my introduction, Mayflo

scheduled for sleeve 11-12-09, Dr.Pompa

Welcome LapGyrl to VST and congrats on making the decision to have the sleeve - we'll look forward to following your progress and are here to support you with your post-op journey.

LapGyrl,

Good luck on your journey.

As far as financing your journey. Don't forget, you will be spending much less on groceries once you have your surgery. Also, if you are currently on any medications, you may be able to go off them fairly quickly after surgery. This will save you a bunch of money. I never thought I'd be able to pay off my loan for surgery (lapband) but, with the money I saved on just meds and food alone, I was able to pay a 4 year loan off in about 18 months.

As far as surgery in Mexico, it is far superior to any I have experienced here in the U.S. Don't let the "holier than thou" mindset that people here in the U.S. have against anything that is not "American" affect your decision. Don't get me wrong, I am American and proud of it. But.......I am a nurse and have worked in hospitals all over the world. Just because you are in an American hospital doesn't mean you are getting the best of care. I have almost been killed twice by American doctors because they wouldn't listen to me (as patient's, we know when something is not right with our bodies-DOCTORS NEED TO LISTEN TO PATIENTS as they know when something is not right). The surgeon I have chosen to do my sleeve proceedure in Mexico is one of the tops in the world. He also listens to his patients. Do not be afraid to look into the Mexico option as a cheaper and viable option for self pay. I am not worried about my upcoming surgery as I know I will be getting quality medical care for an affordable price.

O.K. I'll get off my bandwagon now!!!! Sorry for going on and on!!!! Take care and I hope you are able at some point to get this life saving surgery and have the babies that you are anxious for. Hugs, Marilyn