Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meeting with Dr. today to get my surgery date!!

I have been lurking for awhile, but this is my first post- wow, I am so excited and nervous, but really scared! I was told at my last appointment I should count on first week of December for my surgery, ever since then I have been freaking out! Am I crazy to do this right before the holidays, I am nervous about how I am going to feel and what am I going to be able to eat. I have a whole list of questions/concerns for the doc today, but I have to say everyone on here is so helpful and nice with anwsering questions- so I have gotten many of my questions anwsered here, much more help than OH. What really makes me nervous is this will be my first surgery ever (so I am worrying about pain meds, being put under, catheter, etc) and also my husband is not so supportive with this surgery. Again thanks everyone for all the questions you have anwsered and I would love more advice/input also.... I am so ready to start my new life with the vsg!

Hi Liz and welcome to the forum. I hope the appointment goes well today, and you get your surgery date. It can be overwhelming, and exhausting thinking about all the "what ifs", but arm yourself with as much information as you can. As for your husband not being supportive, is it just he's nervous for the procedure, or does he not want you to do it at all? My husband was super concerned with me having my band placed last year, and he was even more concerned when I had to revise to the sleeve, but he was supportive because he knew how much I needed to have this done.

As for the surgery itself being scary, I've had 6 surgeries in my 32 years. 1 arm surgery, 2 knee surgeries, a c-section, a lapband and a revision to the sleeve. The revision to the sleeve was by far the easiest and least painful.

Keep us posted on your journey, and we'll all be here to walk by your side.

Hey Liz- I'm fairly new myself and was just sleeved on Monday (Nov. 2nd). I had all of those concerns too, but once the surgery was done, I felt so much more at ease about it all. I still have a lot to experience, but so far, I feel so much better about all my pre-op concerns. Good luck and welcome!!!

-Ruby

Welcome! I think December would be a great time to get sleeved...it's a wonderful gift to yourself. Just think of where you will be next year.

Good luck with your husband coming around. My husband always understood my desire to have this done, but was very worried and kept trying to push my towards the lapband in the beginning because it was less invasive and he was so worried.

This was my second surgery and it went so well. I was very scared and nervous, they almost couldn't put the initial IV in me because I was shaking so bad and my teeth would not stop chattering. They had to bring extra blankets in because I was so cold. (The nurse told me I should have told my surgeon about my nervousness and he could have prescribed anti-anxiety pills for me to take.) But that was the only bad part of the surgery and that really wasn't even a part of the actual surgery. The actual surgery, hospital stay, and recovery all went well.

I've had knee surgery, gallbladder surgery, hysterectomy, and a VSG. The VSG was the least painful, least painful, and was done by the best surgeon I have ever had. It was the only surgery I've ever had in Mexico, and I wish I could have had ALL of them there.

Hi Liz -

The VSG was my first major surgery, too. I wasn't worried about anything but the anesthesia - however, all went great and my worries were for naught. I did't have a catheter - not all surgeons use them, so maybe your's won't either. I think December is a great month to have the surgery - you'll be able to avoid all the holiday "junk" that seems to appear the entire month. Luckily for me, since my surgery, I can't stand most anything sweet - it tastes sickening sweet to me, so I am able to resist temptation to eat candy.< /strong>

I agree with Cajun about the best surgeon and having all surgeries in Mexicali!

Hopefully your husband will come around and see how much this means to you -- I am sure he's going to love the results!

Liz,

this was my very FIRST surgery in my whole life. I am 38 years old. Never had a broken bone in my life and never had to be in a hospital for anything. So I was sooooooo nervous about my operation as well.

I had mine done in TJ, Mexico. Even though I did not need it, they still gave me a pill prior to surgery to calm my nerves and make me more relaxed. Didn't even know when I got the anasthesia, came to, fell asleep in the recovery room, taken to my room. When I woke up about 1/2 hour later, I talked on the phone with a friend of mine to tell her I was well and safe, albeit a little "high". She said I sounded happy but out of it at the same time.

There is some major discomfort with the surgery but nothing that a few days of walking and burping won't cure and BREATHING won't cure. My stomach felt like I had the WORST ab workout of my life. That feeling went away by the second day out of surgery.

Really, the worst part about the whole surger was the drain tube. THAT HURT when they removed it. No, not "major discomfort". PAIN! But it was over very quickly, thankfully.

Your husband is scared and nervous. He will come around. He should read through the forum as well.

Take care and good luck!

ReadytoMaintain

Surgery Date: 10-29-09