Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What one man shared...

alright ...

so I was contemplating today about when I was roaming all over the net 3 months ago, searching for answers about VSG...and as a male, it was really hard to find a story I could relate to.... as much as I love the ladies (and of course all the VSG ladies in here :crying:) but it was hard to relate to most of their feelings and emotions. Maybe it's just me, but we are afterall aliens to Venus...so I thought this little thread might help males searching for answers about vsg.

The decision wasn't done in haste, but it also didn't take much time to get me convinced of vsg. As many many people would tell you, I also am one of the people who went in to do the band...but came out from the surgeon's clinic with printed papers and a whole lot of thinking to do about VSG instead! (surfing the net naturally followed).

getting down to business...I had zero fear or stress right from the time I decided to go on with it, till the time I was on the operation table dosing off to sleep. I remember I was chatting with the nurse as she shaved my stomache and we were laughing about it!

as for the actual feelings relating to incisions and the recovery, I will intentionally skip..cos that applies to most vsgiers regardless.

all i can say about that whole month post op...is that as soon as you're done with liquids and start the solid diet..you start feeling good..not normal mind you..you start feeling GOOD!

now away from all that...this is what I'm going through now:

Nothing has become a burden anymore. Buying and wearing clothes that look "good"..(yep thats the word of the day)...driving my car (which is that sexy beast in my avatar up there), going to work, helping others and taking care of myself in all aspects.

Do you know the guy that is overweight, and just lets his beard out cos there's no point in shaving? Well that changed.

How about the guy that neglects friends and passes on outings? no more of that..I find myself WANTING to do fun stuff...laziness is departing gradually from my life. obviously work does drain me during the week..but its not that same " oh man, I just wanna kick back and do nothing" attitude.

...and the guy that boasts about driving recklessly and about how much healthy food is "gay"? that will change. I still do like the thought of driving at full speed..and I still love the idea of junkfood...but I just dont do it anymore. I'll leave the analysis to the ladies reading this:001_rolleyes:

so there u go...many more things to say but I wasn't expecting to ramble on that much..go figure:001_tongue:

What's weird is that I'm around 3+ months post-op and I already went through all of this..and it feels Good!

Can't wait till I get to my ideal weight...cant weight to feel Great!:lol0:

Edited by BuRnOuT

I am so glad to hear about all of your accomplishments. Thank you for giving a glimpse into your world ! ! ! Congrats on your amazing results thus far.

I can totally relate to all of that!

The funny thing is I had no idea of all the VSG forums before my surgery and didn't even bother to check if they existed, so I went to the surgery completely unbiased regarding the amount of women that do the surgery vs. de amount of men. I just didn't think about it in those terms but rather on "obese people's" terms.

Wow, isn't it amazing all the changes we go through after this surgery. It isn't all just physical, there is a great deal mentally as well. It is wonderful to actually look forward to life and living again. You are doing wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for sharing that Burnout! Good post, and cant wait for your next GREAT post!:lol0:

Thanks for sharing your story Burnout and I am sure it well help other men (and women too) in understanding what you have gone through and what they have to look forward too -- keep up the good work and you'll feel GREAT before you know it!

@tiffykins

Thank you so much ... by the way u have one the cutest names on the board:wink1: and congrats on ur progress too..if u dont mind me saying, ur looking smokin' hot my lady:cool0:

@MMendez74

Man I'm sure we have a lot in common..other than the fact that we're both men, we also seem to have almost the same goal weight and we're from the same age group...I'm 30 btw. oh ya, I'm jealous of ur ticker..its so cool man!

@Susan

first of all...you must be an amazing person to dedicate some considerable time everyday to admin this board along with the others. I hope you keep at it... on another note..there's no words that would justify how sexy that photo of urs is! and no, you can be certain that's no lip service:001_tongue:

@Haley

hehe it's a one time thing..no more great posts coming I'm guessing :confused1:

and hey where's ur ticker babe? or is it research phase?

@VegasAngel

Last thing I was looking at before posting that thread was ur updated album. Fantastic work...black dress wow:001_tt1: . Mr. beardedItalian is loving this I'm sure!:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing. You are right, I have looked everywhere and you rarely get the male point-of-view on weight loss. I just found out today that I have been accepted for the sleeve surgery and will be waiting by the phone everyday next week for the call to schedule the date!

Burnout-

GREAT Post...opened my eyes to a few things, I like the line you used....

"Do you know the guy that is overweight, and just lets his beard out cos there's no point in shaving? Well that changed."

Even when I was at my worst, I would do my hair and make up

( it would ruin fast from sweating... but I did it anyway )...

but it became a chore... now I do it because I LIKE to... and WANT to.

"How about the guy that neglects friends and passes on outings? no more of that..I find myself WANTING to do fun stuff...laziness is departing gradually from my life."

How about the "girl"... did the same here too...... and am feeling quite differently now too!

It's so good to see you post... and you hit the nail on the head with alot of what you said... male or female, Being overweight.......... we have the same emotions and feelings. And alot of adjustments to make getting our lives back in order.

I'm really glad you're doing so well!!

And don't stay away so long!! Gotta know whats going on with you! LOL

Big Hugs!!!

congratulationss, I am happy for you. I am only 8 days post operative. I really hope after 3 months my life will just change as yours. best wishes.

MrNickSir-

Welcome to the boards... and Congratulations on your good news!!

I wish you the best of luck in your journey!! it is an amazing one!!

Again- Welcome and CONGRATS!!

Hey MrNicksr...welcome to the board! I can tell ur excited about what might just be the best decision u did in ur life...getting ur life back on track. I wish u the best of luck..keep us posted will ya:thumbup1:

hey sweetie333...just remember...any negative feelings u go through now will vanish 90% when ur back on solid diet. just hang in there, play by the rules and keep educating ur mind about the good habits u'll start when the weight loss really kicks in...best of luck dear.

chancie...its great to hear from u again. i know i've been away for quite some time..i guess it was part of adjusting hehe..i hope i can stay around more this time...46 pounds to go, thats fantastic:biggrin0:...keep it at full speed:thumbup:

Well, I got the call yesterday. I am scheduled for December 17th!!! Scared, excited, nervous...I haven't even been able to eat since then....guess it is a success already. I am just concerned with having it the week before Christmas....great present to me, crappy present for my kids :(

You should be fine a week after the surgery (not excellent, but not as crappy as the first couple of days) I really started feeling like myself about two weeks out, and 100% at three weeks out. Either way, you won't regret your decision.

Congratulations!!!

What a wonderful Christmas Present to yourself!!

As others stated, you will be happy with your decision- and can't wait to hear of your progress!! Please keep us posted!