Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i am 6th day post operative

I am on clear liquid diet.< /p>

yesterday I took one small tea spoon full of honey. it tasted soooooo goood. what do u think? does high sugar stuff tend to impair the healing process? plz let me know if it is a correct or wrong what I did?

I had all night epigastric pain after this spoon of honey.

thanks

I don't know if it impedes healing, but stuff that's high in sugar typically makes my stomach cramp. Once I was on full liquids, I did mix 1 tsp of honey with about 1/4 cup of greek yogurt, and I paid dearly for it. I haven't had any honey since that day.

Tiffykins, I did the same thing! Honey and greek yogurt just seemed to go well together to me. But, I didn't get sick. I wonder why some thing affect people while other things don't?

Sweetie333, I was so sick 6 days out (probably more afraid than sick at that point) that I never tried it...you may want to wait on that until you've been on full liquids longer.

So far the only thing that has made me ill has been Protein powder because I find it repulsive. Oh, and oddly enough, sometimes drinking just plain Water is harder than anything else. I don't know why but its not so bad that I can't drink. I think that I am so used to taking big gulps of Water that I keep taking TOO big of a sip...oops.

southernlawyer: Water is my favorite but I agree with you that you need to take it slow...small sips..if i take a big gulp like I used to before the surgery, it hurts. otherwise, water is the best. don't give up plz, water is so important for our body. just sip sip sip.

I had honey in some tea 2 weeks post op=no problem. Maybe you should wait a bit then try again. Have a sugar free popcycle's until you get on full liquids or even mushies. I lived with thoes popcycles for almost two weeks. (3 a day or more depending) I still have them once in awhile. your attitude towards Water is great. Just have patience, you will be at solid foods before you know it.

I don't think honey is a good idea...too many calories...stimulates insulin production which is not good for you...no nourishment...you need better nutrients, not empty calories. Your sleeve told you it did not like it! Listen to that smart sleeve!

Honey is an awesome product...raw and unrefined. If overly processed and sterilized it may lose alot of it's beneficial aspects but "in the raw" it's great.

Please read the following article before you dismiss it as having no nutritive benefits!

The healing power of honey: From burns to weak bones, raw honey can help

The only caveat for me would be if you are on a PPI or other acid reducer after surgery, such as nexium, prilosec, etc, you are not making enough stomach acid to kill any bacteria that might be in the honey you consume. So I'd wait until you are off the PPI. That goes for other unpasteurized dairy products as well.

I'm also careful about not eating foods that have been sitting out all day such as at holiday gatherings because they are more likely to be contaminated. A "normal" stomach with plenty of hydrochoric acid will kill off most bacteria we consume, but even a normal stomach will get "sick" if we eat a large enough portion of contaminated food. Ever had the "runs" after munching on an all day Christmas buffet? Not fun. An e coli infection from contaminated ground beef or poorly washed spinach could even be lethal, and has been for some people with normally functioning stomachs, as we have seen in the news. I just try to be conscious of avoiding high risk situations until I'm "back to normal" and off the nexium that I take.