Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first time barfing...

Friday nite we went out to eat Chinese, I did very well. But, in the middle of the night the left over chow mein was calling my name. Boy, did that screw me over..I ate too much, too fast and it came back up in about 20 minutes. It's nothing like reg barfing, your stomach doesn't contract uncontrollably and push it back up like reg barfing...it comes up slowly through your esophagus and then you puke. It's so messed up...cause now I feel like being a bulimic would be so easy...it's so easy to bring it back up, after indulging.

Steph - chances are it wasn't even down into your stomach - it may have been stuck in your esophogus - so it came up a lot easier.

I am almost 4 months post-op and I barfed for the first time from eating a few days ago. I tried eating a chili cheese dog. It did not go down well at all. I barfed it up right away. Your right, its not like the usual barfing. I think it was more nausea for me than anything. I think I ate too fast and it nauseated me so bad it just all came up.

I have felt like I was bulimic at times too. In the beginning when I was learning to eat, if I ate too much, it would come back up and I felt so much better. I have learned my portion size so that rarely happens now.

9 months out and it still happens to me.

And you explained it perfectly- you can almost feel all of it travel up your esophogus - not pleasant at all!!

It usually happens when I eat too fast, I still have to work on that. Some habits are hard to break:w00t:

Ewwwwww .. . . that sounds horrid! Slow traveling barf! Makes me want to go throw up right now! I love this forum, like my daughter once said "I'm glad I was born last, makes me know what NOT to do" . . . I'm glad I joined this forum before surgery, makes me know what NOT to do!

I hate this. I have not had it come all the way up and out but I call it the "creep". I can feel it traveling up my esophagus. It is a very unnerving feeling. It didn't freak me out though because the first time I felt it I knew what it was from being on the boards. It is almost always because I ate one bite too many.

Mostly the upchuck experience comes from eating too fast. The over-full feeling you get when you've over-eaten is a different experience; you just feel sort of miserable for about an hour. I still have trouble gauging how full I'm getting when eating Soup. My husband makes great Soups, in fact, the one we had last night - Taco Soup - is a WW's recipe I got from a friend. I was never in WWs. Anyway, it has a lot of ground round in it and Beans. I ate about half a bowl and knew I was done; however, about 20 min. later the beans must have been expanding in my stomach and I became very uncomfortable. Then you'd like to have it come up, but it doesn't. It just sits there and taunts you! It's all a learning experience. Have to eat very slow with these soups so you can get the full signal, something I'm still working on.

I agree: it's a little too easy to have something come up and once out, you half-way think "hey, I could eat that again and it'd just come up, no big deal." That's a dangerous thought.

It's happened to me a few times. It is creepy, and the dry heaves make it worse when it won't come up. I feel miserable, and just know if I could get it to come up, I would feel better.

I still struggling with getting a "full signal". I honestly think it's related to the fact that I have never felt true hunger. So, I eat because I know I have to eat to feed my body, but I am not hungry.

I have a lot of trouble with no full signal too Tiffy. I have to go by looking at the portion and knowing it's the right size.If I ate until I was full, I would be completely miserable in 20 minutes.

I have thrown up three times. Once with doughy bread, once with green Beans when the skins were too rough, and once with broccoli. But it came up easy and was a lot better than the damn sliming I had for quite a while. I think you answered why you did throw up...nighttime scarfing of leftovers. Was this emotional eating? Habit eating? Eating to eat? Sounds like some of my old habits. Then I bet you went back to bed. The food will not go down that way. I agree that it maybe even did not make it to the stomach. Take it as a lesson learned and maybe monitor yourself the next time the urge to eat at 2 a.m. appears. I know I still struggle with not getting up to eat. It is an old, ingrained habit.

I have had the dry heaves twice from a bite too much. It is a terrible feeling but I learned my lesson. I eat smaller amounts and take my time. Hopely it will never happen again.

Hey, you're doing really good Missy Hen! Down 26 pounds since Oct. 1st. That's great. You keep going. It's a re-learning experience so you have to make mistakes before you know the way that works for you.

I still struggle with the "full" feeling.

And eating because I KNOW I HAVE to eat, even when I have no hunger.

Thats kinda strange for a gal like me... I ate just to eat alll the time.

I have good days and bad days with the knowing of my limits... some days I can take that last bite, and it swells in my mouth and I CAN'T swallow, I have to spit it out.

I dn't know which is worse Bob.....the slimes or the actual vomit.....It almost scares me when It happens now......