Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I be feeling a week and a half out?

According to my doc I should be on puree foods. Fine, I'm eating mashed taters and refried Beans and Soups and such.

No matter what I drink or eat, there's a lot of gurgling and pressure. I am not eating much, even small amounts and liquids can cause this.

Is this normal? Does it subside?

you have to slow down. eat much slower. I am having trouble learning this also. I am sticking with Soups blended. Had mashed avacado for b-fast this AM. Try to stay away from mashed potatoes. makes you hungry again sooner. Get any can of Soup you like and blender it. Heat 1/4cup at a time. And, if you are full at 1/4 cup,,,well, yippiee.

According to my doc I should be on puree foods. Fine, I'm eating mashed taters and refried Beans and Soups and such.

No matter what I drink or eat, there's a lot of gurgling and pressure. I am not eating much, even small amounts and liquids can cause this.

I was informed you shouldn't eat mashed potatoes....too much starch...too many carbs.....and cause you to stall/stop loosing.

This maybe part of the problem.

Not to argue, but mashed potatoes have been a lifesaver for me, and I never "feel" hungry after eating them. I also have never had a true stall. The longest I've gone without losing weight is a few days.

The gurgling, and pressure will subside. I had the same issue when I transitioned to mushies. I kind of had to make things a little more runny during the first week, and things went down easier without the pressure. If you aren't comfortable with some of the mushies, back off of them for a bit, and then pick them up and try them again later.

A week and a half out I was still on liquids so I didn't have any experience with mashed potatoes.

Just go slowly and sip your liquids. Once I moved to mushies it was 2-3 bites for me and I was done. I stayed on liquids longer than I was told to because I just felt better on them. I experimented with mushies a little bit at a time, until I could progress past the 2-3 bites.

I guess it is true that everyone is so different. I could drink about 4 ounces of mushies, just like I could drink clears. But once I started regular food, 1 1/2 ounces is my limit. Very tiny amount and I am satisfied.

I can drink 20 ounces of clear liquid in 1 hour, sipping. Still must avoid big gulps though, or I hurt. Still have to burp a lot. And there are still lots of gurglings going on.

Not to argue, but mashed potatoes have been a lifesaver for me, and I never "feel" hungry after eating them. I also have never had a true stall. The longest I've gone without losing weight is a few days.

The gurgling, and pressure will subside. I had the same issue when I transitioned to mushies. I kind of had to make things a little more runny during the first week, and things went down easier without the pressure. If you aren't comfortable with some of the mushies, back off of them for a bit, and then pick them up and try them again later.

I was just quoting what my nutritionist said, I've not been down the road you've been down yet, but my time is coming. And until I do, I can't really say much. I would think mashed potatoes would be great to eat. Better than rice or Pasta anyway.

Congrats! You are normal!

I thought for sure I would never be able to eat or drink anything without pressure and gurgling. 9 weeks out I eat without gurgling and only feel pressure if I don't put the fork down when I should, I didn't measure my portion, or I eat something that I know I shouldn't (like outlined below).

Taters and I don't get along very well. Every person is different. When I saw Tiff could eat taters I was jealous. I can have one small piece or spoonful and that is it. If I mix taters with meat (even pureed) watch out. I will pay with cramps for an hour. I can tolerate some dry simple carbs right now but moist/wet simple carbs are a problem. bread is out of the question. Pasta? One bite. Two bites is no good, I think it swells too much. I have not tried rice and don't intend to. It takes up too much room.

I was a major carb addict so this is fine with me. Eating carbs is a danger zone for me to overeat.

I was just quoting what my nutritionist said, I've not been down the road you've been down yet, but my time is coming. And until I do, I can't really say much. I would think mashed potatoes would be great to eat. Better than rice or Pasta anyway.

I promise that wasn't meant to sound snippy. A lot of people say they get hungry after eating carbs so that's why I said I wasn't trying to argue. I just wanted to share my personal experience. Pasta hasn't given me much problems. I had some Suddenly salad pasta salad with the family last week, and didn't have any issues. It's been a couple of months since I've attempted any type of rice. The couple of times I did try it, I was cramping, and in pain for a couple of hours. Stovetop stuffing had the same effect after just one tiny bite.

I rarely eat mashed potatoes, but on days when nothing else works, or tastes "right", I make some instant potatoes, and have about 1/4 cup.

I promise that wasn't meant to sound snippy. A lot of people say they get hungry after eating carbs so that's why I said I wasn't trying to argue. I just wanted to share my personal experience. Pasta hasn't given me much problems. I had some Suddenly salad Pasta salad with the family last week, and didn't have any issues. It's been a couple of months since I've attempted any type of rice. The couple of times I did try it, I was cramping, and in pain for a couple of hours. Stovetop stuffing had the same effect after just one tiny bite.

I rarely eat mashed potatoes, but on days when nothing else works, or tastes "right", I make some instant potatoes, and have about 1/4 cup.

The thought of stuffing sends shivers through my sleeve. :mad: I suspected rice was going to be a cramper so I have not bothered with it. I think you get so turned off after cramp foods that you are not interested in it later. Negative renforcement at its best.

mini hijack here.... why do these foods cause cramps, and what does it feel like when you can't tolerate?? Alot of my post op medication I ended up throwing right back up. will that happen with food too?

Now, as for the discussion- Manatee I feel the same way. I had surgery on Monday, and everytime I eat anything the gurgling and pressure is intense, and then comes the bathroom dash. They sent me home on full liquids for 3 weeks or so. I've been sticking to light soups/broths/water/isopure drinks.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

-Ruby

I found that when I was on liquids, that if I took a small sip and waited, I'd burp, then I could take another sip -- I guess the liquid in the stomach forced the air that was in there to come up. That is how my post-op liquid diet went - sip, burb, sip, burb - but no throwing up -- I didn't have that trouble until I got into mushies - then I just had to concentrate on eating small portions and eating slower- putting my fork/spoon down in between each bite, chewing, chewing, chewing and then swallowing before taking another bite. Hope this helps.

mini hijack here.... why do these foods cause cramps, and what does it feel like when you can't tolerate?? Alot of my post op medication I ended up throwing right back up. will that happen with food too?

Now, as for the discussion- Manatee I feel the same way. I had surgery on Monday, and everytime I eat anything the gurgling and pressure is intense, and then comes the bathroom dash. They sent me home on full liquids for 3 weeks or so. I've been sticking to light soups/broths/water/isopure drinks.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

-Ruby

Well for me cramps feel like my stomach is moving a dinner plate through it while twisting a towel inside. You will know when it happens. You will wish you did not eat that big piece of bread. You won't eat that big piece of bread again!

Why are you throwing up? What post op meds are you throwing up? This is a little concerning because you could get dehydrated. You said when you eat anything you have to rush to the bathroom to throw up? When you say "eat" do you mean drink? or actually eating?

You can pm me if needed. Previous Army, now Navy wife here sister.

Well, I just reread what I wrote and realized how strange that sounded. The meds issue is my pain medicine- lortab and then tylenol 3. And it's more like it goes down and just kind of comes right back up- and of course only liquids. No solids yet! That's the only time I've had that problem. As for the running to the bathroom, it's more like diarrhea (embarrassing!)- 4-5x a day!

Does that seem abnormal?

we all had that problem at first until our diet progressed to mushy

foods.It's normal. Liquid in, liquid out.