Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4thday post operative

Dear all, I got finally sleeved on 29/10/2009. everything went fine so far and as expected. the worest part of it was in the recovery room and as soon as I get to my room, they got me under control with medication. I am very thankful to my dr. so far. I am trying to get in my fluids. I don't want to get dehydrated for sure. it is ok. I have headache every now and then but again controlled by medication. watery diarrhea which was expected from what I read from your valuable informative posts. I did gastrographin meal and they said it is fine and no leak could be detected thank god which is our major concern.

my laparoscopy ports are fine except for some soreness felt over the drain port which is tolerable sure.

I have no problems getting in my fluids. I feel this gurgling after I drink my Water only. I LOVE Soup.

my doctor wants me to stay on liquid diet for one month and he did not insist on Protein Shakes at all at this stage. he told me our main goal is to keep u hydrated and make you lose the most.

I still have head hunger. I still imagine myself ordering a Big Mac but no way I will sabotage my surgery as I already feel a bit guilty about my decision as regards having just to throw a part of you. they gave me my stomack in a jar. I kinda little grieve these days when I really really enjoyed my meals. I hope in the future I will be able to enjoy my small delicious meals without problem.

I read many of you having this intolerance to solid foods when you get to this stage. is it true for everybody?? is it just a stage and it will get better by time?

Sweetie333 - congratulations on your surgery. I can't believe they gave you your stomach in a jar! As for the eating, it isn't that bad and not everyone has problems - just take it easy and work the stages - liquids, full liquids, mushies, soft solids and you'll do great! Welcome to VST!

I am happy things went well for you. I'm sure you will do fine with the food. This is a great place for support, so if you have questions/concerns about any of the stages you'll have lots of people to offer advice. Good luck!

Umm wow! Your stomach in a jar. I find that cool! I wish they would have recorded my surgery. I would have watched it.

I am glad you seem to be doing well. Sip Sip!

Congrats. on your surgery. Things will get easier everyday, so just hang in there. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi there Sweetie333!

I also had my surgery on the 29th. I am home now recovering. Just had some broth right now. ALMOST a cup - probably closer to 3/4 cup and felt full. 20 minutes passed and I started sipping my diluted juice with Water. I really don't know if that is normal so that is a good question! But, considering that I am full and I do not FEEL hungry, I am thinking that is good as well.

I did mourn french fries at the airport on my return home on Sunday. They smelled so goooood, but then I realized that I didn't get a hunger pain or a tummy growl for french fries and just tried to ignore her. On the other hand, I had to ask my husband to go eat his CPK pizza elsewhere because I LOVE CPK and I was sad that I could not have not even ONE bite. But, I am consoling myself with the thought that I will be able to all my foods again but in much smaller quantities soon enough.

BTW, the drain removal for me was perhaps the WORST part of the whole experience. Ugh! And it hurt me and it was weird.

Good luck and I am so glad that we are going through this at EXACTLY the same time.

Thanks!

ReadytoMaintain

congratulations for the surgery. you know I just expected pain, vomiting and more time in bed in the recovery period which is not the case. I am fine! and I take in my fluids easily. I can take up to one cup or 3/4th. I was fighting head hunger first 3 days. Now it disappeared. I am not hungry.

the drain port still hurts me. I agree with you. it is getting better.

you know my concern is what will stop me from eating in the future if there is no pain experienced?? now I am putting myself under control cuz my stomach has been traumatized severely and I must take extreme caution to help my wounds to heal.

may be it will be different for solid foods. I am also glad we are going through this at the same time. best of luck to you.

the worest part by my side was in the recovery room. I could not take in my breath easily and I wanted to vomit so much ...sequelae of anesthesia I guess but this disappeared by the end of the first day post operative.

you know I just expected pain, vomiting and more time in bed in the recovery period which is not the case.

Indeed that was not the case, actually staying bed from 2.30 (operation time) until the next morning at 6a.m. was the hardest part for me. I actually sat up and stood up some time around midnight because I just could not handle laying down anymore! Once I did that, tired myself doing it, I was able to lay back down and "sleep".

you know my concern is what will stop me from eating in the future if there is no pain experienced?? The way I answer this question to myself is - if there is "overeating" in the future, it will not be and CANNOT be near to the extent that overeating happens as it does now. And I am sure that at some point there will be a point where it will hurt to overeat.

the worest part by my side was in the recovery room. I could not take in my breath easily and I wanted to vomit so much ...sequelae of anesthesia I guess but this disappeared by the end of the first day post operative.

My worst was in recovery as well. I wanted to breath but could not and when I did it hurt. I did not want to vomit but I wanted to burp soooooo badly and couldn't do it laying down. They told me it was good to burp the gas out. I did breathing exercises to also bring my lungs back to normal.

There was a lot more pain involved than what I was expecting. Discomfort pain . . . not just "discomfort".

I am having some trouble with my sleeping still. I LOVE to sleep on my side. I did so in my hospital room the last night I was there. But, since then it has not been good - uncomfortable and some pain. I couldn't figure it out. Until, I realized that in the hospital the bed was slightly elevated to hold my propped up weight while I was on my side. And I used a pillow on each side of my body as some one had suggested here on the site.

I slept like a baby for 3 hours. I am ready for tonight's sleep. It's getting better for me, too. Good to hear that your recover is going well, too.

Congrats!

ReadytoMaintain

Hello!

It's very well! Thanks! I am sitting here just having some broth for Breakfast. I know that today is our first day at full liquids but for right now broth is most accessible. And as it turns out, I just caught a cold. So, I am stuffed up in the nose and taking meds for the nose/head and the broth is nice for the cold. Aside from that, all is going very well.

I have had a weight loss of 6.5lbs so far. It comes out to a pound a day. I love that!

Now, we are moving on to full liquids this week. I am a little nervous wondering how my stomach is going to react. So, we shall see! And my incisions are doing well. The last two are coming along slowly. They have been stubborn to healing but finally, it looks like after today, they are on their way to healing up nicely.

How is your progress coming along?

Let me know.

ReadytoMaintain

Congratulations on your surgeries! Can I ask who your surgeons were Sweetie and Ready to maintain?

Itstime:

My surgeon was Dr. Liza Pompa with the LIMARP surgery center in TJ, Mexico. You won't read too much about her here but I found other information about her and contacted her directly for information.

I was treated well and so far so GOOD!

If you want to know anything or something specific, just ask I will answer the questions to the best of my abilities.

ReadytoMaintain

I have just wanted to see everyone's story post surgery and everyone's journey. Guess I need to update my info to put surgery date and doctors name with my ticker. Time for me is getting near. So thankful for all the sharing of what to expect and be ready for. Sounds like you are doing great!

I removed my stitches today too. they are healing nicely. the doctor prescribed for me an ointment called contractubex which will decrease scarring of the wounds. he said I have to take it for 3 months.

I am doing better at drinking. I can almost drink normally. I drink sugar free stuff for sure. the thing is I have Soups. I prefer Water and juice. you know this clear liquid Soup is very boring. I prefer cream chicken or cream mushroom soup but I am not allowed yet to move to full liquids so just patience. I went back to my work yesterday. my energy level is fine and I hardly feel any hunger which is strange. just a bit heart burn lately. I think this is expected..right?