Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I still have questions...

I did a pre op diet. Protein Shakes Breakfast and lunch. salad at dinner with 3oz chicken or fish. Lots of Water to drink. I got off all carbonated drinks. Got off of caffein. Got off of candy and ice cream. All for 11 day pre op. I lost 7 lbs. The point for me was to get rid of the crap in my diet. I am taking this sleeve thing seriously. It is a lot of money and pain to just loose some weight. I am doing htis for the long game. Keeping it off. I knew I would have to change my habits to obtain that goal even with the sleeve as a tool on my side. My "bedmate" at surgery did noting. Not even one day. She made the decision to just "do it" and she did. I have not heard from her and I wish I would. I do not know how she is fairing. I am really concerned for her. She was still unable to keep anything down on the day we left and she went to the airport.

I do not know if her non-dieting had any bearing on the post surgery results difference we are experiencing. I suspect not. More the physical differences,probably.

Diet only for yourself. (unless that is the Dr.'s plan for you of course) Listen to your body and mind. Get in touch with what your inner self wants, truly wants. Then do what you need to do to be successful.

My Doc didn't call for a pre-op diet. Just two days prior- liquids.< /span>

My hats off to those that did, it's hard to do! I did try to "cut down" on my eating, but it was hard!

Hi Lauren! My pre-op diet was 4 no sugar added packets of carnation instant breakfast with 8 oz of skim milk a day and a resonable meal to equal 1500 cals. My surgeon said the biggest thing was to keep it low fat, low carb and under 1500. As can see 1500 is NOT a starvation diet, and very easy to stick to.

Good luck!!

My "bedmate" at surgery did noting. Not even one day. She made the decision to just "do it" and she did. I have not heard from her and I wish I would. I do not know how she is fairing. I am really concerned for her. She was still unable to keep anything down on the day we left and she went to the airport.

I do not know if her non-dieting had any bearing on the post surgery results difference we are experiencing. I suspect not. More the physical differences,probably.

Yikes! I hope she is doing OK too! She didn't have a leak did she?? She just couldn't handle the liquids and yogurts etc after surgery? Gosh I hope that doesn't happen to me!! I don't handle coming out of the anesthesia well and ALWAYS feel sick for several hours and typically throw up a few times. I hope that doesn't continue too long afterwards!!! Yikes!!! I have had my gallbladder out and that surgery wasn't too bad, I made it through (as usual with some throwing up) but it stops, and then I feel better! Cross my fingers!!!

I was wondering how long people did their pre-op diet for? And when doing it, do you only drink protien drinks and other liquids, no solids? was anyone hungry?

Hi Lauren I too am a newbie but Im on the liquid diet now this is my 6th day I have times that Im hungry but it passes and it gets better every day. I just keep thinkin of all the good that is in front of me and that keeps going. My surgery is nov 17th coming up fast. Im on liquids till my surgery. hope this was some help to you.

Hey!

Thanks to everyone who replied! My surgery isn't schedule yet, but my mom and I are planning for the first week or so in january :) I have decided to cut out all bad foods, and I am trying to limit my carb intake. I have bought Isopure Plus RTD from Walmart and I actually really like them :) I have also bought RTD Atkins shakes as well. Today I have scrambled eggs with some cheese on a bun, and an atkins shake, what to do for dinner I am not sure yet haha I am actually really surprised by how full i get with these Protein drinks! I never would have thought that could be :)

weight.png

Dr. Almanzo TJ,Mexico - January 2010

I'm 10 months out and down 101 lbs. Just to add my two cents here, my recovery was no problem at all. My body hates anesthesia so much, but other than that no complications at all. The first month is drag for sure, and on my plan I was able to eat a scrambled egg, or rather three bites of it, on day 14. You don't feel good at first, but hey, it's only for a short time. Just follow the program they give you and listen to your body. Now, I love going out because I don't really cook, and one meal can last up to 4 meals for me! How great is that? There are stalls along the way, but I think most of the time the body is trying to figure out what is happening. Expect a stall at week three or so, when you first lose a lot of fluids, and then your body retains for a week or so. Lately I have upped my exercise to get through stalls. I rarely exercised before surgery and now you can't mess with my exercise time. I almost have to or I don't feel right.

There are so much better things about life now. Just moving around is so much better. This morning I took a bath and rose of the bath so smoothly, I felt so light. It was great! Going into a store and getting "regular" clothes and the cute styles and clothes actually looking good on me. I flew twice in the past few months and what a difference! No one was dreading to sit next to me this time. And how I see myself, how others treat you is even different, even though that is not right in the perfect world, it is reality. I could go on and on, but I think you get the drift. This is a great journey, for all of us to enjoy along the way!

As far a pre-op diet, my surgeon just asked me to be below 1000 calories a day so that I would not have a fatty liver for surgery.

Great success to you!

I have started eating better, trying to keep my calories close to 1000 a day :( However i have yet to lose any weight and am feeling very discouraged! I now weigh 280, once I am sleeved can I realistically hope to have a goal weight of 150? Hopefully I will have lost some before I get sleeved but I really want to be in the "normal" weight range for my age and height eventually.

I have started eating better, trying to keep my calories close to 1000 a day :( However i have yet to lose any weight and am feeling very discouraged! I now weigh 280, once I am sleeved can I realistically hope to have a goal weight of 150? Hopefully I will have lost some before I get sleeved but I really want to be in the "normal" weight range for my age and height eventually.

I started out at 263 with my band to sleeve revision. At 5 months out I've dropped 93lbs, my ticker reflects my weight loss since I had my lapband placed last October.

I believe 150 is absolutely attainable. That's my goal weight as well, and I have just 20 more pounds to go 'til I get there.

I didn't lose any weight on my pre-op diet which was high protein/low carb.

yes, you are right on target. Do not worry if you do not loose on the pre op diet. When you have the sleeve, you will loose. I am one month post op today and I am down 26 lbs. I am so loving it. THe liquid part of the diet was tedious, but, I knew my brand new tiny tummy needed time to adjust and so I gave it the time as I knew I would be able to eat normal food soon enough. I have fallen in love with the Protein Shakes, and Soups. I am glad I had the surgery in the fall, cause all the hot liquids are so soothing. I guess in the summer you would just have a lot of SF popcycles. HA anyway, good luck to you and do not worry.

Lauren-

YES!!!!

150 is DEFINITLY a realistic goal!!

I started out at 354

( highest was 373)

And I'm dowm 152 pounds at 9 months out!

I have 42 pounds to my doctors goal of 160.

You can do it, just follow the rules, drink plenty of Water and get in your protein- and it can be done!

G'luck to you!!!:(

WOW! You ladies have had SUCH success!!! I can't WAIT until I can start my journey! My goal is 150 lbs too and I can't even imagine myself at that weight -let alone that I could be there by sometime next YEAR!!! :w00t:

I'm SO excited by reading all your posts and I'm feeling like there is HOPE! I DON'T have to be this way my entire life! I wish I could get my surgery tomorrow!

Thanks for all the wonderful info, advice, tips and truths I have been reading on these boards... they have helped me in more ways than you know!:thumbup:

You literally took all the words right out of my mouth!! I could not have said it better :)

Heehee! Thanks!

Maybe you and your Mom should book your surgeries for the same date as me and my Aunt, then we can be the Canadian girls taking over the place! LOL! :biggrin0: How cool would THAT be?