Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel so confused! I am terrified that I won't lose the weight with the sleeve. I keep going back and forth in my mind between the sleeve and the RNY. How am I supposed to know which one will work better for me? It is all I can do not to cry when I think about it all.

I know that I need the surgery and that it will be best for me and my health. That isn't what I'm conflicted about. I just feel so insecure about my decision to go with the sleeve over the RNY. But then again, I feel like this one day, and the next day I'm team sleeve again! :frown1:

Has anyone else felt this way? How did you choose?

Thanks,

Kelsie

Just copied this from the other forum:

You know what, the RNY is another option if the sleeve doesn't work for you (Which in all likelyness it will). Once you have the RNY there is NO going back. Whereas if you have the sleeve and it doesn't work you can then get the RNY.

I would never ever choose the RNY over the sleeve, only leave it as a final option.

Kelsie, that is a decision that you will have to make for yourself. You need to do a lot of research and talk to your surgeon to see which would work better for you. Everyone is different. We will be here to support you no matter which surgery you choose.

I personally thought the sleeve would be better for me even though I had to be selfpay. My insurance would cover bypass or band, but after much research I knew the sleeve would be my choice.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you soon. Keep us posted.

I started looking at the lapband first and then discovered the sleeve. After a lot of research and being honest with myself about what I needed my tool to provide for success (and read up on the complications with the band), the sleeve won for me.

I guess the only advise I can give is to really think hard (which I know you are doing based on this post) about what you need. Do you feel you need the malabsorption to help you be successful? Only you can determine what is best for you. If you have questions, this board is very supportive and hopefully it will help make this decision a little easier to figure out.

Hi Kelsie, this is such a personal decision, and really research and a little soul searching are the main options. I can tell you why I chose the sleeve vs. the RNY when I revised from the band.

1) regain stats for the RNY are scary in my opinion. I know several people who have regained a significant amount of their weight back within 5 years of surgery. A lot of RNY patients seek a revision, stomaphyx, shortening the common channel causing even more malabsorption, or going with a DS (which the sleeve is the first part of the DS procedure)

2) Rerouting my intestines, and changing the natural digestive process was not something that interested me at all.

3) The nutrient deficiencies with RNY due to the malabsorption really bothered me.

4) I wanted the freedom of being able to eat whatever I wanted. With the RNY, you'll deal with dumping if you eat something with fat/sugar. If I want to have A cookie, I want a cookie. 1 cookie isn't going to kill me.

4) I was a volume eater. I was not a junk food/sweets eater. So, I knew a restrictive procedure would work for me and my lifestyle.

I wish you the very best in your decision, and if you have questions, please feel free to ask. If we don't know the answer, we'll do our very best to find it for you.

First, hi to Lackland from a military family!!!

It took me a long time to decide for myself which was right too.

Here's my suggestion. Step back and try to take the emotion out of it. Write out an actual list of the pro's and con's of each procedure AS YOU SEE IT. Do the research on each. And if you've already done it, remember each. What you see as a pro, someone else might see as a neutral. But then, after you have taken some time to think it all through, assume you would succeed with either of them, and pick which one you would prefer. Pick the one that will best fit you as a person and your life, believing that you will succeed with it.

I think we have all dieted, lost, then gained back so often we are unable to see a real solution even when we have it. The people I have talked to have told me that any of the main procedures had worked for many and any of them have failed for many. So try and take that fear of failure element out of your decision and pick the one that will work best with your lifestyle. If you assume success, it really will be more likely to happen for you.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I am confident I will make the right decision for myself. I am going to a support group meeting on the 4th, and I think that will really help me!

Also, be careful to not be swayed by a surgeon who wants to influence your decision because he is more familiar with doing one type surgery over the other. Decide what YOU want, then find a surgeon who has performed at least 300 of them, and has low complication statistics.

Hi Kelsie! I am new here but thought I'd add my two cents worth...I was originally scheduled for the RNY procedure, after seeing my surgeon for my preop it was decided that I would do well with the sleeve gastrectomy...The reason I was originally going to have the RNY was because I had a very high sugary drink intake..ie..MT Dew for one!! After seeing my nutritionist I completely cut out sugar and never drink anything higher then 5 grams of Sugar....mostly I drink Water and Crystal Light now....I have been able to lose 32 lbs prior to surgery following this and the rest of my nutritionist's advice. My doctor said that as long as I felt I could stay away from the sugar he would do the gastrectomy. I find this a much more appealing option as I worried about the malabsorption issues and the dumping!! I advise that you look within and make the decision based on how you think you will do with one surgery versus the other. Don't let others sway your decision. This is your body and you are the one who has to use this as a tool and use it yo your advantage. Hope this has come to be some help...Good Luck with your decision!! And be happy!! A new chapter in your life is about to begin!! Best Wishes!! Carol