Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is it ok to start drinking coffee?

I didn't drink any coffee for the first couple of months. Plus, I had broken my 40oz a day habit, I didn't want to get it back.

Now, at almost 5 months post-op, I might have a cup of coffee every other week. I just don't want to get back into the habit of drinking it again.

I'm 11 days out and my doctor nor my nutritionist said nothing about coffee. Can I drink it now or do I need to wait?

I started at the end of week two, but I just have a half cup of black in the am. and then Breakfast an hour later or less. Works for me...

Thats a debatable subject..... some docs dont' want you drinking it, and others don't care.

My doc was against it, would rather it be decaf- says sometimes caffine makes you want to "graze" and he also said it doesn't count towards you liquid intake....

I stated drinking it about 6-7 months out. I can't eat breakfast yet, so I put my Protein Powder in it.

I just pulled out all my post-op stuff from both the band and the sleeve procedures because I remembered one of them going into details about caffeine consumption.

The information stated that caffeine can and does destroy vital nutrients and Vitamins that aid in healing after a surgical procedure. It will flush out essential Vitamin C, and destroys Iron. I decided to get geeky, and googled it for more information. There are plenty of publications if you want to read further about the ill effects of caffeine on nutrients and Vitamins.

I googled "does caffeine impede healing" and "does caffeine destroy vitamins". Loads of articles pull up that are interesting reads, and really puts things into perspective when you recently post-op.

My doc said it was ok to drink coffee/tea as long as you are getting in 64 oz of fluids per day. I love the caffeine buzz, I drink a cup in the am w/my choc calcium chews, and sometimes have SlimQuick too. I am not perfect and do sometimes drink too much..I also bought No-Doze caplets..I am a bad girl.

I just pulled out all my post-op stuff from both the band and the sleeve procedures because I remembered one of them going into details about caffeine consumption.

The information stated that caffeine can and does destroy vital nutrients and Vitamins that aid in healing after a surgical procedure. It will flush out essential Vitamin C, and destroys Iron. I decided to get geeky, and googled it for more information. There are plenty of publications if you want to read further about the ill effects of caffeine on nutrients and Vitamins.

I googled "does caffeine impede healing" and "does caffeine destroy vitamins". Loads of articles pull up that are interesting reads, and really puts things into perspective when you recently post-op.

Tiff

I love your answers.

They are always so informative.

Thanks so much.

Interesting about the Caffeine Tiff. I wasn't told to avoid it before or after my surgery and although I don't drink coffee in huge quantities I 'carried on as normal'. I wished I had cut it out before my op as I had terrible headaches from the morphine and anesthesia and it makes me wonder whether or not the caffeine contributed to that.

It was only when I started working with young children that I started experiencing bouts of dizziness on standing upright again and after reading comments on here, that I decided to cut out the caffeine. I'm not sure if it has helped or not, I don't think I get dizzy quite as much, but I do make myself eat before I go out as well, which I wasn't doing properly before as I didn't feel hungry.

I still have the occasional cappucino when I go out but sometimes if I overdo the caffeine and sugar (caramel Syrup is fave of mine in my coffee!) I can feel quite rough with palpitations and feel sick. In my opinion, limiting caffeine can only be good thing really.

I started drinking coffee again about 6 weeks out- I've never been a big coffee drinker - generally 1 cup every morning, never more than 2. When I started after my surgery, I was only able to drink about 1/2 cup, now 4.5 months out, I am up to a full cup of coffee. It's a good thing, as I still can't eat anything until about 11 and have to drink warm beverages in the morning, so I drink my coffee at home, and then when I get to work, I drink hot tea until lunch time.

Hi Vegas

why can't you have anything until mid morning? I thought that sleeve stopped that kind of problem. I had that with the band that I could not put anything hardly in my mouth until late morning coz things would get stuck.

I have just had the sleeve so I don't really know about proper food.

Isn't the sleeve supposed to work as a proper stomach but just limit the amount of food that you eat?

Also, question regarding dumping syndrome. I have noticed that if I have taken a taste of yoghurt that is "too" sugary I get palpations and sweaty. I also thought with the sleeve your not supposed to get that.

Has anyone experienced the above?

Yes, I get that if I overeat. Have had some bad bouts after eating too much sugar and/or fat. I had too much to eat earlier - I don't get clear signs of fullness- after going back for a bit more and ended up being sick and feeling quite rough. I usually have to have a lie down until it passes. It doesn't happen too much now though if I am careful.

The other thing about eating later - I had that with the band and still do now. It's not I can't eat, I just don't really feel like anything until about 10 ish and then I don't feel like much. I do get hungry and sometimes I can't get the food in my mouth fast enough and then I can feel ill. I don't think many people seem to get that though and can easily forget to eat.

Hi Helen

so what happens when you start eating "normally" and kind of forget you have the sleeve for that split second - take that gulp or bite with out chewing properly - do you run to the toilet to vomit like with the band?

I just want to feel normal with food - and know that I can eat - but just smaller portions. Will that happen?

Hi,

I am pretty normal with food now, can eat a boiled egg and some banana for breakfast at 8 and eat it within 15 minute or less, can drink 1/2 or more cup of black coffee first thing at 6:30 as well. If I feel too full I stop until I feel a burp or two, and I have never thrown up, had food come up a bit into the esophagus, but it sldes down after a bit. I am a month out from surgery and have had no issues with food at all, am very happy with my sleeve, and feel it is doing what it is supposed to do and that is to restrict the volume of food. So guess everyone is slightly different, and you will learn what you can and cannot do.

Cheers,

Donna:001_cool:

Xbander-

I can just tell you about my experiences..... everyone is different. I'll be 9 months out on Nov.9th- and I just vomited last night.

I had a hard time in the beginning..... would have the slimes and then vomit. Nothing I couldn't handel, just had to learn how to eat right.

Now, alot of it's due to the fact I might eat too fast, or not chew my food like we're suppose to. Kinda think I'm "normal" but I'm not:001_tt2:

Like Vegas- I can't eat breakfast- don't even want food that early- but I know we have to eat three times a day, so I still do Protein Drinks in the mornings. I've tried, on my days off I can kinda eat, but it's late around 9 or 10( and had been up for several hours)

So- I just stick with the Protein drinks for my morning meal.

Last nights episode was because I ate too fast- and let me tell you- it hit quick! I almost didn't have time to make it to the bathroom! Wasn't ready for that, but I have noticed the last few times I have gotten sick- it has been FAST!

As for coffee. I used to drink decaff. I kicked the caffine habit and did not want it back. I have given it up now. The acid is too much for my stomach. That is just me.

As for eating: I drink breakfast because I am still not meeting Protein goals. So drinking it helps. When I eat I am full for 4-6 hours. This does not help with meeting Protein goals. I have never had a bad stuck issue. Only when I eat too fast. Never had the band so I don't know if it is the same or not. I do now it does not vary one day to the next. bread will not work today just like it did not work yesterday.