Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All

On the 20th OCT I had my op - revision from band to sleeve.

When I arrived at the hospital I was really nervous, my blood pressure was thru the roof.

The staff were great, calmed me down. I was scheduled to go in at 200pm and ended up going in only at about 7pm.

Everything went as expected - thanks to this form.:001_smile:

I am feeling NOT hungry - which is very weird, because I have not eaten for 3 days - starting now on the liquids - had the IV up until yesterday.

There was one little thing though that I did want to mention. When I was in the recovery room right after the op, I was in a hell of a lot of pain. I didn't quite expect that. The nurses gave me pain killers straight away, but I did start to hyperventilate and get into a bit of a panic. Once the meds kicked in I was fine and I have been feeling fine ever since. So there were no complications (so far.... Thank God)

I think that I am happy having done the sleeve, but feel almost as if I am grieving a little. Did that happen to anyone else?

Also, my Dr has said to be on Clear Liquids for a week and then the 2nd -3 rd week mushies - does that sound right?

Also, I read that alot of people after the sleeve can't tolerate milk. What do the coffee drinkers do? Is coffee with milk considered clear fluids?

Hope to hear from someone.

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well. As for the milk question, I drink fat-free half/half in my coffee. Grant it, I rarely drink it, but when I decide to have a cup here and there, I use the half/half with a couple of splendas.

For my post-op diet, I had to do clears for 17 days because I had a leak, and then I transitioned really slowly to mushies for about 2 weeks. Regular coffee with or without is not considered a clear. If you can see through it then it's a clear. Milk, coffee neither are considered clears.

Protein supplements (when I think shakes, I think of the ones mixed with milk which are considered a full liquid) that are mixed with Water are considered clear on some surgeon's postop list. SF Jello is see-through. I don't know anyone who ate jelly through the post-op diet considering it's high sugar count. Plus, my surgeon was not concerned about my Protein intake until the mushy food stage. So, I didn't have to worry about consuming any sort of protein shake/supplement during the first 22-23 days. My surgeon is a big advocate to getting all of my protein from food sources instead of shakes/drinks/supplements. I am supposed to eat 4 meals daily that contain at least 15grams of protein per meal. Right there, you get in the 60grams of protein as recommended by my surgeon. Plus, my body doesn't like any of the protein supplements. I found one that I could tolerate taste and texture, but I puked the times I tried to drink it. So, I give up and will stick to what my surgeon suggested. Of course, I'm almost 5 months, and can eat pretty much anything I want so 3 meals a day of 3oz of lean meat gives me my protein.

Some surgeons do not require a clear liquid phase, and I'm not sure why some choose to make patients endure the clear stage, and some move straight to full liquids and mushies.

As for juice, I avoided juice because of the sugar and acidity of most juices. Apple juice is see-through, but the one time I tried it, I had horrendous gas.

I wanted to protect my stomach as much as possible with little irritation. I would of done the same thing even without having the complication of a leak. There is no way I would of advanced to full liquids earlier than 14 days post-op. My stomach was traumatized, the staple line needed to heal, and I was hell-bent on protecting it as much as possible. The band damaged the top portion of the stomach, and I was not going to push it.

Hi -

First, thanks for sharing your experience. Keep us posted on how things keep moving along.

Second, did you need to stay on the pain meds? Or was it just an initial period of pain right upon waking? And was your surgery laproscopic?

Thanks,

blcr

Hi Tiff

Thanks for the detailed info. It is very true that different surgeons advise of different diets to start with.

Mine has not been as "strict" I guess. Even said that I can start on mushies..... as long as I chew until I feel that all is liquid in my mouth.

One of my biggest fears at the moment is going to the toilet. It has happened once since the op.... I am just scared that if I have to push I might do something to damage my insides.

Hi Wishinghoping

the really bad pain was only in the recovery room right after the op. I did ask for pain relief the whole time in hospital - but honestly I could have done with out it. My op was done laproscopically. Now that I am home I am not taking anything. My tummy is a little sore, and when I am in bed and have to turn over it hurts a little, but not something that is terrible.

Are you pre op?

Hi Xbander, so glad to hear you're doing well. I meant to post a message up earlier but have been so busy lately. Sounds like you are doing ok with the diet. It's right that different surgeons prescribe slightly different diet plans. I followed mine's advice but also looked to info on the internet, plus advice here. I was on clears for 3 days and then had runny blended food for about 3 weeks, progressing slowly to more textured stuff. I think the main thing is to take it easy and not to try running before you can walk. I also supplemented with some Protein shakes to ensure I kept Protein levels up.

Also I think that 'jelly' (English English) is what they call 'jam' in the States. 'Jello' is what English people call jelly. Am sure I have got that right!

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress xxx

Hi Tiff

Thanks for the detailed info. It is very true that different surgeons advise of different diets to start with.

Mine has not been as "strict" I guess. Even said that I can start on mushies..... as long as I chew until I feel that all is liquid in my mouth.

One of my biggest fears at the moment is going to the toilet. It has happened once since the op.... I am just scared that if I have to push I might do something to damage my insides.

Hi Wishinghoping

the really bad pain was only in the recovery room right after the op. I did ask for pain relief the whole time in hospital - but honestly I could have done with out it. My op was done laproscopically. Now that I am home I am not taking anything. My tummy is a little sore, and when I am in bed and have to turn over it hurts a little, but not something that is terrible.

Are you pre op?

I doubt that you will "have to push" because diarrhea is common for a week or two after the surgery. :001_huh:

If you're worried about Constipation try adding some Benefiber to your (I was going to say coffee!) tea in a morning and that will help. Doc told me it was fine to take laxatives as well if there was a problem. Peristalsis does slow down after surgery, but a lot of people on here do report having bouts of diarrhoea.

Hi

thanks for your replies. I was actually LOL when I read about jelly. When I say jelly I mean the wobbly cold stuff that you make with boiling Water and stick in the fridge and not jam that you spread on bread. Isn't the English language interesting? There are quite a few other words that now that I think about them have different meanings in different countries.... even though it is still English. So Helen, thanks for clarifying :)

Anyway, regarding the toilet issue. I am one week out now and have not had the runs - only managed to do one that was pretty ordinary. So I am getting pretty anxious now.

I think I will get some benefibre - should I take a laxative though in the meanwhile?

I just remember reading a story here - can't remember who it was but they said that they were so bad and in such agony that one night it just ended up coming out hard as rocks and caused them some internal damage.

I am definately watching my liquid intake but still.....

I took a laxative when I hadn't been for about 5 days post-op and I did have bad stomach ache with it, but I went and it was a relief afterwards. I'm not sure if it's good advice or not to take it. My doc said it was fine and it did me no harm but I do stick the Benefiber in my coffee every day now to ensure regularity. There's a thread about Lactulose on here too and that's good although it gives me chronic wind!

Hi Xbander!!

Glad to hear things are going well for you! When you mentioned the pain when waking up in the recovery room........ I could relate- even tho it was almost 9 months ago- I DO remember waking to awful pain. It's all a blur now LOL

And bathroom issues, boy- are they an issue at times!!

I still have issues, and will take a stool softener when I notice I havn't gone in a few days....it's getting better tho.

Glad things are going good for you!!