Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Failed - Should I get the sleeve?

Hello. I was redirected here by a poster on the Bandster Group. After being banded for two years and losing almost 100 pounds, I

was recently diagnosed with a major slip. I have no idea why this happened and

neither does my doctor. So now I am faced with a major decision; remove the band

and do nothing, or remove the band and have the sleeve or bypass. since I had

this bad experience, I am leaning towards having it removed and not having any

other procedure done. My faith in the surgical route has been seriously

compromised. If anyone has any insights on life after band removal, I'd love to

hear them. Should I consider the sleeve? My doctor says I will gain all of the weight back. Thanks, Pete

Pete from Boston

Banded 10/07

Minus almost 100 pounds

I am a band to sleeve revision, and knew that I would not be successful in my weightloss efforts without surgical intervention. I chose the sleeve vs. RNY for these reasons:

1) instant restriction (no maintenance, fills, unfills)

2) No malabsorption issues

3) Little to no stomach stretching

4) Portion Control with the ability to eat what I wanted

I couldn't be happier with my results with the sleeve, and know in my heart of hearts that I made the right decision for my life.

I wish you the very best, and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of band to revision patients on the board, and you'll probably get lots of input.

Petepotamus -

I can't help you with any information regarding a revision from band to sleeve.

I did, however, want to welcome you to the forum and I am sure you will find a lot of information here that will help you make your decision. Good luck.

Hi Pete,

My band slipped after 12 months, was repositioned and then it slipped again soon after for no known reason like yours. It couldn't be filled, I suffered from horrendous reflux and indigestion and I started gaining weight again. I had the choice of having it removed and not having any further surgery (which was very tempting) or going for the revision to sleeve. I went for it as I knew and my surgeon knew that I would definitely regain all my lost weight - it was a sure thing! I have no regrets. I am still losing weight, albeit very slowly now, but it is coming off and not going back on. Plus I am healthier, more confident etc. etc. Revision surgery is riskier but you do need to be honest with yourself and do your research.

Also, I am not sure why and I might be corrected here but I think that most surgeons prefer to revise to the sleeve rather than the RNY as it is a safer option. Am sure that you will be given accurate and helpful advice on this site.

Welcome and good luck!

Hello. I was redirected here by a poster on the Bandster Group. After being banded for two years and losing almost 100 pounds, I

was recently diagnosed with a major slip. I have no idea why this happened and

neither does my doctor. So now I am faced with a major decision; remove the band

and do nothing, or remove the band and have the sleeve or bypass. since I had

this bad experience, I am leaning towards having it removed and not having any

other procedure done. My faith in the surgical route has been seriously

compromised. If anyone has any insights on life after band removal, I'd love to

hear them. Should I consider the sleeve? My doctor says I will gain all of the weight back. Thanks, Pete

Pete from Boston

Banded 10/07

Minus almost 100 pounds

Hi Pete from Boston! Actually you are the only one who can make that decision, but remember this, your doctor said you will probably gain the weight back. Where you happy with 100 lbs more on your body before? Do your really want this for yourself and go back how it was? The surgical route isn't too compromised if your asking for advice. . .so if I were you, I would really think about researching this aspect. . . so many folks have had great luck with the sleeve, I changed my mind from the band to the sleeve and am just waiting for surgery. . . but good luck and like I said the choice and decision is yours. . . you are in full control of your own destiny.

Edited by thinoneday

I am a band to sleeve revision, and knew that I would not be successful in my weightloss efforts without surgical intervention. I chose the sleeve vs. RNY for these reasons:

1) instant restriction (no maintenance, fills, unfills)

2) No malabsorption issues

3) Little to no stomach stretching

4) Portion Control with the ability to eat what I wanted

I couldn't be happier with my results with the sleeve, and know in my heart of hearts that I made the right decision for my life.

I wish you the very best, and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of band to revision patients on the board, and you'll probably get lots of input.

Wow Tiffy, look at you go! You rock girl!!!!:thumbup:

No question. Get a good revision surgeon. But, I assuming that the band was getting you towards your goal until it failed?

In other words restriction was working for you?

The sleeve is like having a band that works really well every day, without all of the up and down changes in restriction. It also doesn't have the same degree of problems with slider foods. If I eat sliders, I can literally eat all day long, but my wife who is sleeved can eat the same food and be full with 4 or 5 bites. I am many times so jealous of how simple things can be for her. She does have one complication, and that is that she does occasionally get spasms, but the heat pad takes care of them in about 5 minutes, and she is totally normal. I have a stuck episode, and it causes me problems for 3 days.

Hi Pete-

I'm sure you will attune to what is best for you.

I also had a major slip with my band and it was removed 7/2008. At the time, I was told that a revision was not possible due to the guidelines with my surgeon's office & insurance company. I begged them to do something because I was terrified that I would regain the weight. All they could offer me was an appointment with a dietitian who told me how to eat. It's no surprise that it didn't work.... and sadly, I have regained all of the weight + an extra 10 pounds for good measure.

I'm now with another surgeon who says that I am a candidate for revision and I'm in their bariatric program.

The strange thing is that had I been offered a revision right away after the band slip I would have said yes right away. But 18 months later, I'm not as quick to jump in. While I'm unhappy with the regain, I'm realizing that none of the surgeries are a "magic bullet" solution. Through the bariatric program I'm in a mindful eating class that is really helping me to rewire my relationship with food.

So I'm still attuning to what will best serve me for the long term. I'm inclined towards the VSG although the bariatric office that I'm with is more pro-RNY. I'm taking my time and allowing the wisdom to come forward about my next steps.

Lots of light to you on your journey. May it be paved with grace!

There is someone who had her band removed named Katydid in the tell you story section. She is really upset that after she had her band removed from major complications, she has now gained all her weight back.

I don't think you will be sorry if you have the band removed and get the sleeve. Living with the sleeve is so much easier than living with the band. I have never regretted my decision to get the sleeve at the same time I had my band removed.

I don't remember one person saying they regretted having the revision.

My surgeon says that everyone who he's removed a band from and not done another surgery gains the weight back.

That does not surprise me in the least. I found a picture of me from 10 years ago. There are not very many pictures of me at my highest weight.

I am so glad I had WLS and even more glad that I had the band removed and got the sleeve!