Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aceves Gastric Sleeve Surgery Information

I found a new Dr since my old one was NOT supportive. I haven't needed anything except labs and some acid reducers. Dr A does such a good job, followup care is basically undeeded. DO it JEN! It will change your life!

I'd say that I was a little nervous once I arrived at the hospital since it was sunday and there was barely anybody there. Then I got nervous the night before however I made friends online via vst with someone who had the surgery night before (with Dr. A) and she skyped me and chatted with me especially since I was all alone and noone knew I was going, I couldnt' really talk to anyone else. I left my hubby and 2 small kids to do this so there was alot riding on it. After the surgery I had so many friends from the woman who spoke to me the night before to the new patients that were getting sleeved on the same day. I told them I was nervous so they took me first. Honestly, after that night in the hotel, I never really felt alone again! and honestly, I knew that even though I chatted with dh a bit I was really enjoying getting to know my new sleeve sisters ;) We all took care of each other mentally and physically (not that the hospital didn't but you know what I mean, we made each other walked and waiting for each other and asked questions), and the doctors came to visit me 1-2/ day. I had a slight complication in that my lungs weren't filling up with air properly. This was "almost" scary except that I had my sisters there with me and the doctor took excellent care of me. I insisted on extra leak test just to be sure since VST friends were telling me online that I need to do that before leaving teh hospital. The Doctor said that it wasn't a leak and that I shouldn't worry however that he felt that it might make me "feel" better knowing that we did a leak test and sure enough he did it, also allowed me to stay an extra day until I was feeling better even though I was up on my feet walking around the hospital like I owned. Dr. A and his team were oustanding and made me feel good and didn't dismiss my concerns even though he knew. BTW, I was BMI=30 before surgery and I really appreciated the talk with Dr. A that I had before he admitted me, he was honest and sincere and genuine.

SOrry for the broken email I have two kids yelling and screaming in my ear as I type this but I wanted to reach out to let you know that it was the best decision I've made and I am thrilled that I chose Dr. A. I will be going back to Mexacali in August to get my check up and can't wait to see them (and a also a little bit to show off how much weight I've lost) :))

Best of luck to you and keep us posted. Feel free to message me if you'd like to chat further, I'm also happy to give you my phone number. You are a strong women for even considering this. Why not give yourself this gift, you deserve I'm sure otherwise you wouldn't be here on this site!!

Hello, I am glad to find this stream with patients of Dr. Aceves. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat wanting to book it! Maybe just looking for a little reassurance from some of his patients. I'm a little concerned about traveling and having surgery by myself. I worry a little about not having an advocate along in a situation where I will be put under. Also can anyone give me any insight about your experience dealing with any health care follow up issues once you return home. My GP is less than supportive of WLS and I will have to find a new doc, wondering if I end up with any complication how my insurance will cover it. With a BMI of 36 they won't cover the surgery so I'm self paying in MX.

Hi,

I am one of the people who went to Dr. Aceves by myself also. You do not need an advocate all all with you. You will always be able to speak for yourself and get what you need or want. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Compos are the most caring kind and wonderful doctors you will ever meet. They visit you 2 or 3 time a day while you are there--that is unheard of in the good old USA. You are in excellent hands. There are No problems at all traveling by yourself. A driver will walk down to the baggage area for the airlines that you arrive on with a piece of paper with your name on it and take you out to the very nice Van that they pick you up in and load your suit case in the back. It is about 1.5 hour drive to the hospital. There will be other people going for the very same reason your are. Everyone starts talking and you will make some really wonderful NEW friends who are there just for what you are there for. There are NO problems at all crossing the boarder. The hospital is so very clean and well taken care of. The have less of an infection rate than ANY US hospital has.

You are in excellent hands. What you are fearing in the fear of the unknown. All the feeling and emotions you are have are very NORMAL. Most all of us had the very same feeling and emotions that you are feeling right now. So this makes you very normal. I can assure you forever that things are going to be OK, but until you experience it you still do not know what to expect. I am here for you every step of the way. Just send me an E-mail. My personal E-mail is Suzannesh@aol.com

By the way please Tell Dr. Aceves that Suzanne said a BIG Hi, he will also tell you I am a good resource for any question you might have when you get home too.

As far as your PCP, I would get rid of him if he can not be supportive. You pay him--you want someone who will be there for you an NOT look down his nose at you like he is Superior. I dislike doctors like this. We are doing some right and want to improve our health--who gives him the right to treat you like this???? Ask around and see if other people in your area have a doctor that they like. I was very lucky that my PCP was very much in favor of me having sleeve surgery. All you will need once you get home from a PCP is for them to run a full blood panel at maybe 30 days or 6 weeks from your surgery date and then occational along the way continue to run the full blood panels. Lots of time they start taking you off a lot of your meds that you are taking now because you no longer need them.

Pack light, I have a list of things I suggest to take when you go there if you would like for me to send it to you.

Hugs, and you are doing something GREAT to save and change your entire life forever.

Suzanne

Lost 105 pounds and have kept it off!

Thank you! Thank you all for your responses today. I have booked our tickets (my husband was able to get the time away from work) and I am 21 days away from departure!! I appreciate your support and will without doubt take you up on your advise and best bets as I go along. I have Butterflies tonight! Good ones.

Jennifer

Thank you! Thank you all for your responses today. I have booked our tickets (my husband was able to get the time away from work) and I am 21 days away from departure!! I appreciate your support and will without doubt take you up on your advise and best bets as I go along. I have Butterflies tonight! Good ones.

Jennifer

Hey Jennifer, I just wanted to say congratulations to you. I am here if you need or want anything. The closer you get to going, the more feeling and emotions that you are going to have and feel. This is very NORMAL and we all have been here and had all these feelings and emotions. Here Is something that might be helpful to you when you get ready to go. This is just a suggestion of things that you might want to pack and take with you. Here is what I took and you might want to have when you pack for the Weight Loss Surgery with Dr. Aceves.

1. Gas-X because you will have gas after the surgery and they don't have Gas-X in Mexico. They (the nurses and doctors) will ask you are you passing gas? It is nice to have this on the plane ride home too after the surgery. I bought a box (of 36 tabs) of Gas-X (thin strips) that you just put the strip in your mouth. It tastes good and it is easy to take--no Water required—nothing difficult to swallow either.

2. A comfortable bra & panties--nothing very tight (cotton is nice—what ever you like to wear) to wear home on the plane or if you want to wear these items in the hospital. Everyone was pretty relaxed with what they slept in or wore around the hospital. I didn't bring a robe at all--Just T-shirts and comfortable pants. Maybe a sweatshirt because the air conditioner makes it cool sometimes and then there are times when the air conditioner isn’t working that well. Bring some extra T-shirts in case you spill on yourself. My IV came out and I got blood on one of my T-shirts. I just washed it out in the sink and hung it up in the shower to dry.

3. Drawstring pants or pants with elastic waist—nothing tight around the middle section. I had some Nike walking pants and they were very comfortable—or short, or pants you would wear to relax in. I also had some that I wore to sleep in, walk around the hospital in and wore them home on the plane too (a pair for each day you are going to be away from home). Sweatpants work great too. I was there in Oct and so the air conditioning was going and sometimes it was cool at night when I was sleeping--so I brought some warm socks along too. But in some rooms the air conditioning wasn't working so well in their rooms and they were warmer than some of us were. If it is too warm or too cold tell one of the nurses they will help you with anything you need. They are excellent when you need something—don’t be afraid to ask.

4. A heating pad--I was so glad I had mine (someone had suggested I bring one) because it felt good on my stomach area. When my feet were cold at night I used my heating pad on my feet. Also when I was there with a friend for her surgery in April 2009 I found out at the nurse’s stations they also had heating pads—so if you don’t want to bring your own use theirs.

5. Some kind of slip on shoe for the plane ride home and something to wear in the hospital (I had some flip flops for the hospital and some clogs for the plane ride home. Flip flops didn't take up a lot of room in your suitcase. I also carried on the plane my tote bag carrying some things like, meds, change of underwear—in case my suitcase got lost, a snack so I could eat something after the tests that first day you arrive—because they will tell you not to eat a few hours before you get to Mexicali because of the tests you are going to be having upon arrival at the hospital in Mexicali. Sometimes you have to wait for everyone to have their test before they take you to the hotel and your are soooooooo hungry because you haven’t eaten anything all day long because most of us are flying into San Diego, so bring a snack that you can eat after your tests while waiting to go to the hotel. I brought along some packages of trail mix—bring what you like.

6. Only one (1) small or medium sized suitcase with wheels is really great because you will have to deal with your own suitcase at the airport (coming and going). I also brought along my laptop computer so I could stay in touch with my friends and family—I carried that on the plane too—don’t put it in a suitcase—too much stuff has been stolen out of suitcases.

7. Please be aware if you use your cell phone in Mexicali they will charge you roaming fees to CALL OUT. For me if people called me from the US to Mexicali and they were calling my Cell Phone there were NO ROAMING charges because they called me from the US. Most all cell phones work in Mexicali; I think they said Cricket was the only Carrier that they had problems with. I didn't have anyone come with me for the surgery, and they were so nice as to call someone (in the US) for me after surgery and let them know that I was doing great.

1. I brought my own favorite small pillow with me (almost sofa size). It was nice to have it while I was in the hospital and on the plane ride home.

9. As far as money someone suggested I bring about $45.00 to $50.00 in one's so that I could have them for tipping—they all accept US money in Mexicali. I tipped Van driver $25.00 who picks you up and takes you to the hospital, takes you to the hotel, takes you back the hospital for surgery and then back to the San Diego airport. He takes such good care of everyone and I tipped him at the end when he took me back to the airport to go home. I also tipped the hotel guys for taking my bag to my room, and when I had dinner that night at the hotel. I would also bring along a small gift for 4 or 5 nurses or give them a little cash—I understand they really don’t make a lot of money and they might appreciate the cash as a gift. I would suggest that you take enough money or Credit Card or Debit card to purchase the medication that you will need after the surgery. There is a pharmacy about 1/4 block from the hotel--anyone at the hospital will tell you where it is—it is a easy walk. The Nexium that Dr. Aceves suggests you take after surgery for acid reflux for about 3 months cost a lot less —don’t forget they will negotiate over the price of medication in Mexico –even when it is at a pharmacy-they will give a price and then ask them “if I buy 4 boxes will you sell it to me for—ask for a lower price. This medication costs a lot less in Mexicali than in the US—so don’t forget to buy it while you are there. I also bought Prilosec because some people had told me that Nexium did work for them—as it turned out I was one of those people that Nexium didn’t work that well on and so I was glad that I purchased Prilosec.

10. Do not take any jewelry with you or wear any. All I took was my watch. Leave ALL other jewelry at home.

11. Be prepared if the Van driver may be late sometimes picking you up--find a place to sit down in the baggage area where they said he would pick you up. Make sure you can see people walking in that area and he will come walking down through there with your name on a sign holding it up. He will have you back at the airport on your return trip home in plenty of time to catch your plane ride home.

12. Bring a camera along to take some pictures of yourself in the “before stage” and maybe a group picture of the other people who are going to have the surgery the same day you do. I have kept in contact with them. You will be so glad you have done this. Take lots of pictures. People really do enjoy seeing the pictures if they are considering doing this surgery.

13. Don’t forget the personal things like toothbrush, Shampoo, soap that you may want to use in the shower, a razor, cream rinse for you hair—maybe a hair curler and hair dryer if you want I don’t know if you want to bring make-up—I did, because I wanted to look ok going home on the plane. Yes, we used their Water to take a shower—it is ok for showers… they do give you bottled water to drink.

14. I brought along a book I wanted to read along with my Ipod, so I could listen to my own music. You may or may not get a lot of reading done because you might want to take some nice naps too. Getting up and walking around is good for you and it makes you feel a lot better too.

15. Bring along some chap stick for your lips—they dry out and it is good to have something to put on your lips.

If anyone else can add anything please jump in here and help me out! I know you are worried about a few small things and I can tell you not to worry because we all have been where you are. Just keep posting to the web site-- anything you want to say or ask. We all understand and have been where you are right now. I wish you GREAT success and it will be a life changing event and in about 2 months you will be saying the same thing too.

Also Linda adds that when they make you drink the vile stuff to make sure your new stomach has no leaks don’t for get to ask for chips of ice. It numbs your taste buds because they are so cold and you can drink their YUCK stuff. She did it and it worked great for her. I didn’t know about it and I wished I would have. I think they do this on the 3 day before you go home.

Suzanne

This is what someone else added to what I put on my list--you never can have too much help or information

I wore and underwire.....so I didn't get that message! I also brought a robe...for sure and maybe flip flops or slippers for doing lots of walking after the surgery. They give you those hospital gowns, but the day after the surgery, I was in my own pjs that were button down the front and elastic band capris...something easy to slip in and out of. Suzanne says-- I put my on PJ’5 on after the surgery when I got up to go to the bathroom.

I would definitely take a comfy pillow for on the plane ride too. Just don't over pack! You will need very few things....one outfit for the day you arrive and one for when you leave and just the PJ’s for comfort.

You may need to have something on the plane ride....maybe some tea from Starbucks or get some hot water and add some chicken broth to the hot water--(take chicken broth packets from Top Ramen Noodles works great for the Chicken broth. You most likely won't be hungry at all....but just in case......a clear broth with water works.

I realized that most of the stuff that I brought, I didn't even need.....so pack light! You will mostly be walking the halls of the hospital!

The best of luck to you! You will do great!

SHOPPING LIST:

Just as a suggestion you might want to do a bit of grocery shopping before you have surgery so that when you come home you will not need to go to the store' date=' you will be able to rest and relax. Some ideas are:

broth, chicken, Beef, Vegetable, or they have new products out (new to me) that are Chinese Soup broths in a carton that you simply heat. It would give you a bit of variety.

Popsicles that are Water based, sugar free, and a variety of flavors.

Ramen Noodles. While the noodles are not acceptable during the clear phase of the post op diet there is a packet of dry broth mix that many seem to like, it has a bit more kick than regular broth, I am told.

Propel Water, you can purchase this as bottled water or you can purchase individual packets of this product and put it in water and mix. The reason this product is good is because many are used to a high carbohydrate diet and when your body is used to many carbs, especially white carbs such as flour, Pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar; your pancreas tends to put out a bit too much insulin because of the carb load. When you remove carbs from your diet it can potentially be a drastic change and your pancreas is still putting out a bit too much insulin during the post op diet. This can cause low blood sugar, your stomach might feel nauseated, you might begin to perspire, feel like you are trembling. This does not happen to everyone but it does seem to happen more to older folks or those used to very high white carb diets. Propel water has a very small amount of sugar in it. Just enough to bring your blood sugar up but not enough to cause large blood sugar spikes.

Power Aid Zero, it is a new product that is low carb but it has some electrolytes that are beneficial during the post op stage.

Water, you need to get about 64oz of fluids in daily. Your broth and Popsicles count toward your 64oz of fluids daily. The key is to sip, sip, sip all day long. The first few days you may find that you cannot get your full 64oz of fluids in, try as hard as you can. You do not want to become dehydrated. If you enjoy tap water that is fine, if you don't then perhaps try bottled water and see if that goes down.

Crystal Lite, sugar free Hawaiian Punch, pretty much any sugar free water flavorings are fine during the post op diet.

Protein products, during days 1-5 you'll need a clear Protein product such as Isopure clear bottled protein liquid or powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. You can find Isopure at General Nutrition Stores or a variety of Health food stores. Unjury must be ordered on line in advance of your surgery, www.unjury.com. They have an unflavored product that is nice because when you are done with clears it is versatile and you can add it to Jello, cooking, smoothies, etc. Please note, this is a whey protein product. All whey protein products have one issue in common and that is that they don't heat easily. If you add any whey protein product to a hot liquid it will clump. The key is to add it to a cold liquid and heat slowly, then it will not turn into lumps.

A good source of protein products after the clear liquid phase (you can use these with water instead of milk starting day #5, and with milk starting day #11) can be purchased reasonably at:

www.netrition.com

Some excellent products are:

Matrix 5.0 by Syntrax http://www25.netrition.com/syntrax_matrix_page.html

The more popular flavors are chocolate and Cookies & Cream.

You can spice up the chocolate with Da Vinci Sugar Free Syrups:

http://www25.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=121

Another very popular protein product if you like Chocolate and Peanut Butter is Whey Gourmet, Choco/Peanut butter:

http://www25.netrition.com/pvl_whey_gourmet.html

I suggest the above because you'll need to consume about 60-80gms of protein after surgery. During the post op diet this can be difficult to do. Adding protein supplements can make this much easier.

You'll want to track your protein intake in the beginning and a few free, on line sites you can do that are:

www.thedailyplate.com

www.sparkpeople.com

www.fitday.com

Just see which format you prefer of the above. The Daily Plate has a weight graph, daily you put your weight in and it is satisfying to see the numbers go down!

Omg angel you are thank you!!! I been asking for tips and didn't get many answers! This is perfect! God bless you!

How do I begin the process of getting sleved in Mexico?

How do I begin the process of getting sleved in Mexico?

First you have to know what Doctor you want to go to. I highly recommend Dr. Aceves. And you can contact his patient coordinator at 1-888 344 3916. Her name is Nina, and she is great and she will answer any question that you might have. I am happy to answer anything you might have a question about too. Hugs, Suzanne

I'm scheduled with Dr. Aceves the first week of April, 2013. I appreciate all of the information posted on this thread! I am going alone and am very nervous ... but not about the surgeon I have chosen. :) This is a really big financial hardship as well and although Dr. Aceves is more expensive... I just feel safe about my choice... especially as a revision. I will be glad to have it all behind me but I am hopeful about meeting others that will be there that week as well. Tummy just jumped a little... guess it is still a little worried!

:unsure:

Hi my surgery is scheduled April 4 with Dr. Aceves... I am so excited.