Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking for a few months wanted to take the time to tell my story. I have been researching gastric surgeries for about five years. Like most others, I have tried numerous diets (WW, nutrisystem, Atkins, etc.) and lost and gained an average of 100 lbs. over the last five years. I have a few medical conditions that is related to my obesity (HTN, pseudo tumor cerebri, DJD). In October of 2008, I went to the bariatric clinic orientation at cleveland clinic with the idea of being banded. Before meeting with the the nutririonist and the surgical team, I never heard of the vertical sleeve. I was recommended to go to obesity help and that's how I found this site. I am so greatful for the information that I learned from the members on this site. Through my research, forums like this, and recommendation from my surgeon, I decided on the sleeve in June of this year. I received my approval letter from my insurance company in August and was sleeved last week October 7th.

I can honestly say that I was very prepared for the surgery thanks to this site. The preop diet helped me to discover the relationship with food that I didn't know I had. The surgery itself went very smooth; no complications. I had a final leak test on Friday and went home Saturday. I am still sore. I was taking oxycodone from the time I was taken off the pump until yesterday. I decided I needed to be awake long enough to do the recommended walking and couldn't do that with the narcs. I hurts to sit up, stand up, roll over, cough, laugh...anything involving stomach muscles. Other than that i have been okay. No nausea, vomitting, or Constipation (yet). I'm working hard to get fluids in, it is very difficult but after reading on another thread about constipation, I immediately picked up my water bottle.< /p>

I know this is the best decision I made for myself. I only told a few people. My husband wasn't thrilled but knew I had made up my mind. I didn't want to have to keep explaining my decision. Even one of the nurses asked me why I did this because I'm not that big. My BMI was 41. I was not up for an argument so I just said it was a personal choice. I was happy that one of the other nurses had actually experienced the procedure and gave me some good tips before discharge.

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experience; i don't feel alone because of you:biggrin0:

Glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are starting to feel better. This is a great site, I too have learned so much. I haven't scheduled surgery yet, but have been referred to a Dr. He has a long waiting list, so I am also checking out Mexico.

Take care and let us know how you are getting along.

Nancy

Thank you for sharing your story and coming out of "hiding".

We're very happy that the forum is helping you and we hope we continue to offer you all the support you need.

Welcome!!

And thank you for sharing your story. Glad to hear you had no problems, and yessssssss...... sip sip sip!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

Glad you came out from lurking LOL.... just keep us up to date on your progress.. sounds like you're off to a good start!:confused:

I've gone from a BMI of 54 to a BMI of 32 in 7 months... so yep. I'm a fan of the sleeve!!

Hello Hello!

I am finding this site to be a great research tool as well as a support group. I am glad to hear that you did well at your surgery. I haven't had mine yet, not till December. Did you get your surgery in Cleveland?

Thanks for all of your responses. TK, yes I did have my surgery in Cleveland. I left the house for the first time today and I think I overdid it. I am so weak and tired, but the fresh air felt great. I also got on the scale for the first time since surgery and was pleasantly surprised. I was told that I may not lose weight initially because of Water and swelling. I carried a weight of about 250 lbs all year. The day I started my preop diet I weighed in at 254. The day of surgery I weighed in at 240. Today I am 231.5. How wonderful is that at 6 days postop:w00t:

I am so glad to hear that you are doing ok. The fresh air will do you good. I love to sit out in the warm sun. Within a few days you will be feeling so good and will know that it has been so worth it.

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking for a few months wanted to take the time to tell my story. I have been researching gastric surgeries for about five years. Like most others, I have tried numerous diets (WW, nutrisystem, Atkins, etc.) and lost and gained an average of 100 lbs. over the last five years. I have a few medical conditions that is related to my obesity (HTN, pseudo tumor cerebri, DJD). In October of 2008, I went to the bariatric clinic orientation at cleveland clinic with the idea of being banded. Before meeting with the the nutririonist and the surgical team, I never heard of the vertical sleeve. I was recommended to go to obesity help and that's how I found this site. I am so greatful for the information that I learned from the members on this site. Through my research, forums like this, and recommendation from my surgeon, I decided on the sleeve in June of this year. I received my approval letter from my insurance company in August and was sleeved last week October 7th.

I can honestly say that I was very prepared for the surgery thanks to this site. The preop diet helped me to discover the relationship with food that I didn't know I had. The surgery itself went very smooth; no complications. I had a final leak test on Friday and went home Saturday. I am still sore. I was taking oxycodone from the time I was taken off the pump until yesterday. I decided I needed to be awake long enough to do the recommended walking and couldn't do that with the narcs. I hurts to sit up, stand up, roll over, cough, laugh...anything involving stomach muscles. Other than that i have been okay. No nausea, vomitting, or Constipation (yet). I'm working hard to get fluids in, it is very difficult but after reading on another thread about constipation, I immediately picked up my Water bottle.

I know this is the best decision I made for myself. I only told a few people. My husband wasn't thrilled but knew I had made up my mind. I didn't want to have to keep explaining my decision. Even one of the nurses asked me why I did this because I'm not that big. My BMI was 41. I was not up for an argument so I just said it was a personal choice. I was happy that one of the other nurses had actually experienced the procedure and gave me some good tips before discharge.

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experience; i don't feel alone because of you:biggrin0:

I also did the same thing when I went to Dr. Husted's seminar here in Somerset KY. I went with all intentions of only having a Lap-Band procedure done if any at all and afterward I changed my mind to having The Duedenal or Sleeve. When I went for my consult with the Dr. Husted he said he would like to do the Sleeve, so I began my research and my journey. I may be having surgery very soon. I have had so many people tell me that I am not that big and I shouldn't have to have surgery, but when I started weigh-ins in Feb. of this year I weighed 253 and I have went up and down since then, I have not had anyone that could talk me out of having the surgery even though they have seriously tried. I believe this is what I need to do for me to live a healthier longer life. I am going to be 55 years old next month and I hope this will help me to have many more birthdays. I have been very unhealthy for so many years, so I am really looking forward to a change. I wish you the best on your journey.

Hi Everyone,

I can honestly say that I was very prepared for the surgery thanks to this site. The preop diet helped me to discover the relationship with food that I didn't know I had. The surgery itself went very smooth; no complications. I had a final leak test on Friday and went home Saturday. I am still sore. I was taking oxycodone from the time I was taken off the pump until yesterday. I decided I needed to be awake long enough to do the recommended walking and couldn't do that with the narcs. I hurts to sit up, stand up, roll over, cough, laugh...anything involving stomach muscles. Other than that i have been okay. No nausea, vomitting, or Constipation (yet). I'm working hard to get fluids in, it is very difficult but after reading on another thread about constipation, I immediately picked up my Water bottle.

Thank you for sharing your story. I also was banded last week on the 9th. The more you move, the better you will feel. I am already doing light house work. I tried not to take ANY meds. I kinda toughed it out, but other ppls pain tolerance is difference. I have this one staple in my larger incision that is totally bugging me. It REALLLLLYYYYYYYY hurts. If I turn in a certain direction, it STINGSSSSSSS:cursing: Cant wait to get them out on Monday. I feel wonderful .... I am sure you will be up there with me ... just keep moving :smilielol5:

Hi Everyone,

Welcome W8in! No more waitin for you huh? :smilielol5: That is so nice to hear. . glad all went well and that you'll be up and about soon. . .yeah, that the one thing about this surgery, it's not really anyones business. . . I'm just going to tell folks when they ask about my weight loss and what am I doing "I'm just eating less and exercising" it's not a lie. . . .have a good day and see you more often!

Thanks for sharing your story. I think that we benifit from each one sharing. I know I have learned so much and have been affirmed in my decision to go through with having the sleeve. Loads of good thoughts going your way.:thumbup1:

Kiki - were you banded? or Sleeved?

She is sleeved. Me thinks she has been into her Lortab too much :cursing:

I have read some of the posts I made right after surgery. Wha? My spelling is bad anyway but geez :thumbup1:

I thought she was sleeved; however wondered if something had happened and she'd changed her mind.

Too funny SoCal on the Lortab!

OMG .. I did say banded .. ha ha ha ha:lol0::ohmy: No not banded ... SLEEVED .. man and I'm not even on pain meds ... WOW .. must still be a little tired. :lol0::thumbup1::cursing::mad: Too funny!!!