Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which fat goes first?

I have been sleeved 3 and half months ago. I lost about 20 kg (about 36 pounds) in that period. I was wearing size 50 inch before surgery, now I 'm wearing 42-44 inch. However, I feel I am not losing fat from the tummy but rather from the limbs. This is roughly estimated by the skin fold thickness (The minimum skin fold you can pinch at the area below the ribs (subcostal) or in the back of arm Triceps area). It seems the skin fold in the abdomen essentially the same!!!

What is your experience?

I've only been sleeved 12 days now, but I am noticing the fat going from my face and hands first.

Congrats on you 20 kg! Awesome, I think when you are closer to goal weight you may find that tummy fat melting too, My midsection is primarily where I need to lose so am hoping that at goal wieght it will be reduced enough for my good health!

Continues success with your weight loss journey.

The first thing I and everyone else noticed was my butt went goodbye. I have had mixed feelings about this. It is not the flat weird shaped butt now. It looks like it did in my early twenties so I should be happy but I kinda wanted to keep my super curves just have a flat stomach. It is just frusterating to be able to fit in a 16 pant except for my stomach. The butt in a 16 pant is loose but the tummy is a little too tight. Ugh. It will balance out I am sure.

I also lost weight in my limbs right away, my upper arms, hands, face, and neck. My girls are a little smaller but my cup size is the same.

The whole thing is kind of strange when I think about it but I am happy with the way I look. I like to be able to sit on the couch and put one leg up with my foot flat if that makes sense. I can bend over and tie my shoes without having to hold my breath. I can see my hoo hoo!

I have been sleeved 3 and half months ago. I lost about 20 kg (about 36 pounds) in that period. I was wearing size 50 inch before surgery, now I 'm wearing 42-44 inch. However, I feel I am not losing fat from the tummy but rather from the limbs. This is roughly estimated by the skin fold thickness (The minimum skin fold you can pinch at the area below the ribs (subcostal) or in the back of arm Triceps area). It seems the skin fold in the abdomen essentially the same!!!

What is your experience?

I think if you are to measure yourself you'll see it comes off everywhere. I'm about three and half months also. The skin is hanging more, than sticking outwards. With working out I see a form starting to take place.

:001_tt2:

Same exact results. I carried the majority of my weight around the "middle". I've lost most of my weight around the ribcage and up.

I kind of have this "spare tire" effect around my lower abdomen. It's smaller, but it's not going as fast as the rest of me. I never had a "butt" per se, but I developed hips after giving birth. I now have serious flat, apple-shaped butt/hip area.

I am going to get back into doing stand-up crunches. I love this exercise, and feel great.

I read somewhere that the fat that is nearer to your blood goes first. So arms and legs before torso. That's my experience. I also lost from the top down first. So I was pretty scrawny in my upper body before I lost that last 20 lb. from my tummy, breasts and thighs.

Thanks for everybody. It seems there is a universal experience of losing peripheral fat (Limbs and face) first rather than from waist. It seems also the butts go fast!

By the end of the day, everybody will be happy being sleeved and losing extra weight and that extra tyre.

I noticed the first thing to disappear was my shelf, aka, the big butt.

First place I lose is in my gut, but that is the first place I gain too..my butt has no fat on it, sucks because I always wanted a big booty..I got big boobies and big gut instead..lol..I am getting my old figure back though, more of an hour glass shape, instead of the *OMG* her stomach is huge..lol

I heard that you lose first where you gain first.

Regardless, the areas we hate the most are always the last to go.... for me my thunder thighs and tyre and bowling ball head.

I am hoping in a few more weeks I will be able to tell you what my personal experience is and describe myself a little better.

But, good on you for losing so much weight in such a short time.

I noticed the first thing to disappear was my shelf, aka, the big butt.

Dang, I like my butt.....I have a pretty butt....even if it is big..:huh0:

oh well.....only time will tell how things shape up....still cayn't wait!!!:biggrin0:

It really depends on your natural body shape. Every body shape CAN get thin and toned, but will still look different.

If you're more of an apple, it will take you the longest to lose from your abdomen, back and chest and even neck You'll probably get really thin arms and legs first and the last bit of annoying weight will probably be something like your tummy, or underarms.

I'm the opposite, I'm a pear and I noticed face, shoulders, arms and chest. I got a real shock one day when I realised how darn thin my hands were too. My stomach got flat very easily, but I still carry weight on the thighs and behind. I'm pretty sure I always will. I was trying on dresses the other day, I cant buy anything tailored and straight unless its made for me becuase I'm freaky skinny around the shoudlers and chest so that everythign that fits my hips gapes there. I hate my neck too, you can see every muscle and tendon in it, and I cant get spray tan even on my chest becuase the hollow on the top AND bottom of my collarbones is inches deep.

But I still have a fat bum!

Hi Jachat

I was reading your post - and I was so excited to read that someone is describing themselves with having skinny parts :001_tongue:.

I looked at your photos your amazing - you look as if you were never overweight!!!!

When did you get sleeved? How much have you lost?

What is your story?

I am sure you have probably said it many times - but I am not sure how to find it here.

I think you could definately be a huge inspiration for all.

I'm actually banded, not sleeved, the reason I pop in here occasionally is I was invited to do so by Wasa when it was started, to help get things going and to chime in on the exercise questions.

Now I pop back every now and then becuase there's lots of people I know here and i like to see how everyone is doing. I might post on things I know something about, the more general conversational posts.

I got banded December 05, so coming up to 4 years. I'm one of the lucky ones, I have a perfectly functioning band. I lost about 100lb and I do lots of running and circuit training. I had a BMI of 36 when I got banded and hadnt really been that heavy for more than a few years although I always struggled with my weight a bit and had to work hard not to get fat. Pregnancies were my downfall, as for a lot of people.