Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Scares Me Most

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and have decided to get sleeved in January with Dr. Joya. The thing that scares me most about the entire process is the 2 week pre-op diet! I get hunger headches in the afternoon as it is eating 2000 calories a day of relatively healthy food (following food pyramid guidelines). Is it really as bad as I think it's going to be?

Thanks!

Hmmmm, well I will be honest in telling you it's not easy but it also depends on what diet your surgeon puts you on as they vary. It can be made easier by avoiding all 'food' situations if possible (family cook for themselves, you go in another room, change your routine, go food shopping less etc.) and it is always worth sticking to in every case as it makes the surgery easier and safer.

Good luck

Helenxxx

This is the pre-op diet:

DIET: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner should be low calorie Protein Shakes or Non fat yogurt. We highly recommend a company by the name of REVIVAL SOY http://www.revivalsoy.com or go to a health store and look for a low calorie Protein Shake. The rest of the day or if you are still hungry at meal time you can have Clear Liquids. You should drink about 8 glasses of Water or more a day. And Jell-O the low calorie kind is a clear liquid. Other clear liquids are beef and chicken broth, apple and grape juice, nonfat milk, and cranberry juice.

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and have decided to get sleeved in January with Dr. Joya. The thing that scares me most about the entire process is the 2 week pre-op diet! I get hunger headches in the afternoon as it is eating 2000 calories a day of relatively healthy food (following food pyramid guidelines). Is it really as bad as I think it's going to be?

Thanks!

Hi Glogarza! I'm from SA too! I'm having my surgery in January too! I don't have to do a pre op diet. . .Dr. R Cavazos and Gonzalez (NE Baptist) are doing mine. . . they don't think anyone under 50 BMI need a pre op diet. .

The preop diet sounds scary huh? But if your wanting it bad enough I guess you can do just about anything. . . good luck!:thumbup:

Lucky you! My doc had me do it twice, first at BMI 46 for my band and then at BMI 36 for my revision. I had to stick to milk and yoghurt (nothing else at all) and it was awful...but I did it!

If you keep the end result in mind, getting your sleeve, it will hopefully be more bearable. In hindsight, this surgery has been one of the best decisions in my life and seeing and feeling these results make everything I had to do as a pre-op worth it (but truthfully, I didn't have as strict of a pre-op diet as you, but I still think it's worth it:thumbup1:).

Hi and welcome to the forums.

For me, the worst part was the first three days. I had a non-stop headache, I was lightheaded and had no energy. But, after day three I think my body adjusted, everything leveled out and I felt fine. Like Deedee said, you have to keep your eye on the prize, your reward is your sleeve. Good luck, I know you can do this.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I did have to do a pre-op diet; however, it wasn't nearly as strict as the one your doctor is prescribing. I am sure it will be difficult; however, as others have said, keep your eye on the prize...and it will make the post-op diet easier for you I think.

Thanks!

OMG, I thought I was the only person in the world who gets horrific headaches if I don't eat on time. Some of it may really be issues associated with having diabetes, but my hands get shaky, I turn into an absolute witch--snappy, irritable, light-headed, and of course the headaches--and that's even if my glucose reading is normal or even high. That's what scaring me the most, is the pre-op diet. I'm going to grit my teeth and do it, but I've already warned my husband that I'm going to be nearly unbearable to be around. I hate headaches! :sad0:

Oh, I am evil when I diet, too. I actually live for the most part on very restricted food choices and DON'T get what I want to eat but something about telling myself "NO" just makes me crazy and mean.