Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need your help! Im just starting my journey

:) I am on my 1st stage of the whole VSG, i just started to do my research and setting up the appointment for the Seminar. I going to the memorial Hermann hospital in Houston TX with Dr. Davis. I a little scared because I pretty sure my insurance wont cover me. I 20 years old and 223 pounds i don't have any real health issues besides the fact that I'm over weight. Both my parents had gastric bypass done last year and look great I also now better understand what kind of diet you have to stick to before and after, that's why i know i can make this life change. I know the bypass is not for me. My two brother are also over weight and i have a family history of "chubby" people in my family. I'm just scared because I'm still in college and in order to have this surgery I'm going to have to pick a huge bill. but i think that because i am still young and have my whole life to live that there is no better time to get the VSG done. I have a few Q: if anyone can just take the time and tell their story.

#1 - how much did you pay for the VSG?

#2 - is there anyone about the same age as me that has had it done?

#3- any advise, comments, concerns

Thanks soo much Amanda

Welcome Amanda! I just had my sleeve surgery in early August. I paid cash in Dallas and paid $12k. I am definitely a few years older than you (I'm 38) so I can't help you there. My only regret is that I couldn't have had the surgery back in my early 20's. I was back into my daily routine 70% after a few days and 100% at exactly 2 weeks. Good Luck to you and feel free to ask any question you might have. There are lots of very generous and knowledgeable sleevers on this board.

Welcome to the family Amanda. There is a group on here of 20 y/o sleevers, so you will find others there that are in their 20s to share with.

I was a self-pay - $9500 - I went to Mexicali and Dr. Aceves performed my surgery - the $9500 included everything - pre-op tests, surgery, anesthesia, hospital, 3 days in the hospital, 3 leak tests and post-op tests.

I was back to work in one week. I had my surgery on 6/12, so almost 4 months ago, and have lost 47 lbs and gone from a 20/22 to a 16.

I am sure you will get many more responses - everyone on the site is great!

Hi Amanda, we are so happy to have you join us here! Definitely check out our forums for people in their twenties, we do have a few.

I also had my surgery in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves. I was a revision from the band to the sleeve, so mine cost a bit more.

I think it is wonderful that you are doing this at such a young age. That is honestly my only regret about my surgery, is that it wasn't around when I was 20! You have your whole life ahead of you and it is great that you are going to do this for yourself now.

Hi amanda, my wife and I both are having the vsg in mexico with dr almanza, for the amazing special price of 5,000 each. So if your interested hit me up and ill shoot you and email with further info..

Hi Amanda. You are smart to do your research before deciding...there are safe and not so safe places and surgeons. One post on this forum helped me a lot in doing my own research before I decided. It was entitled "researching Mexican sleeve surgeons". If you enter that phrase in the search engine at the top you will find it.

I read hundreds of posts on this site, and the Obesity Help site, as well as many medical journal research articles. I watched videos of the surgery on You Tube and viewed testimonials at that site also. You can also look at the section on bariatric physicians on the OH site, to see how many VSG's they have performed. Research that I read gave statistics that supported the fact that once they have done over 300, their complication rate drops significantly because they have seen just about everything and know how to manage it.

Cost is always an issue but don't let that be your main deciding factor. Safety comes first. I had learned all that I needed to know and was comfortable with my choice BEFORE I called the surgeon's office to inquire about the surgery. I did not want anyone just talking me into using their services. It had to me MY decision. I am so glad I did.

I had my VSG 1 week ago by Dr Alberto Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

:) I am on my 1st stage of the whole VSG, i just started to do my research and setting up the appointment for the Seminar. I going to the memorial Hermann hospital in Houston TX with Dr. Davis. I a little scared because I pretty sure my insurance wont cover me. I 20 years old and 223 pounds i don't have any real health issues besides the fact that I'm over weight. Both my parents had gastric bypass done last year and look great I also now better understand what kind of diet you have to stick to before and after, that's why i know i can make this life change. I know the bypass is not for me. My two brother are also over weight and i have a family history of "chubby" people in my family. I'm just scared because I'm still in college and in order to have this surgery I'm going to have to pick a huge bill. but i think that because i am still young and have my whole life to live that there is no better time to get the VSG done. I have a few Q: if anyone can just take the time and tell their story.

#1 - how much did you pay for the VSG?

#2 - is there anyone about the same age as me that has had it done?

#3- any advise, comments, concerns

Thanks soo much Amanda

Hi! Welcome, well I'm a little further than you in my journey, but attended the seminar already. I live here in San Antonio and the cost for my sleeve is going to be $19,000 (self pay) I was pretty lucky, I got the whole amount approved as a personal loan from my bank at only 3%, so that may be one way to go. . . otherwise those credit companies they suggest have a payback to 10% or more. . . I have my surgery in January, see my doctor on November 20th as well as the nutritionist, and psych eval. . .I wanted it a bit earlier, but hubbie suggested not to rush something as major as this and just to wait for the new year and start fresh. . . what a grand idea, at least now I'll actually have something to Celebrate New Years about. . . but good luck, hope this answered one of your questions. til next, stay positive and keep smiling:thumbup:

Felix Spiegel did my surgery here in Houston on July 28, 2009. $17,000 for everything (I think that's a little less than Dr. Davis). One night in the hospital. No complications whatever. Back to work in less than a week. Wish I'd done it sooner.

I've lost 38 pounds so far.

Welcome, Amanda! I am a bit older than you (29). I had my VSG just about 3 months ago. I was self pay & I chose to go to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, MX. I paid $8750 (it was their July/Aug promotion) plus airfare. It was the best decision I've made & I'd go in debt to do it all over again! My dh worked as much OT as he could to pay for the surgery & we got a personal loan from our local credit union to cover the rest.

Feel free to ask questions.

Welcome to the forum,

I had my VSG on 9-15-09. I am in my 20's as well. I have been very satisifed with my VSG! I went with Dr Audencio Alanis in Houston, TX. I absoutely adore him as a person and a surgeon! He was so knowledgable and skilled. I am 2 weeks and 2 days out and Ive lost 24 lbs! I had my 2 week follow up appointment today and he was THRILLED with my results.

Cost: 11, 500 K

2 nights in surgical center (ICU care 1 night, regular med surg unit 1 night)

***The price has gone up since then though, I think its 13,5K.

I loved the hospital, the nurses and the surgeon, I dont regret it, I received TOP NOTCH care! Good luck on your decision, everyone here has given you great advice, its just up to you to decide which direction is best for you!

Welcome, Amanda! I am a bit older than you (29). I had my VSG just about 3 months ago. I was self pay & I chose to go to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, MX. I paid $8750 (it was their July/Aug promotion) plus airfare. It was the best decision I've made & I'd go in debt to do it all over again! My dh worked as much OT as he could to pay for the surgery & we got a personal loan from our local credit union to cover the rest.

Feel free to ask questions.

I am 62. I also had mine done by Dr Aceves in Mexicali Mexico, same price as TennJenn. Half what someone quoted you. 4 days and 3 nights in the hospital. Incredible service inlike I've seen anywhere in US hospitals and I'm a nurse for 30 years.

Consider that you pay for airfare though. If you schedule it far enough in advance you can usually get a good deal on a flight. It's important that you be comfortable with what ever you choose, dont just base your decision on cost alone.

I was sleeved in San Francisco by Dr. Cirangle. I am a little older than you (early 30s) and am envious that you can make such a significant improvment to your health so early on in life! My sleeve was $17k, I was a cash pay patient. I took a loan out to cover it, and luckily it had a low interest rate (3.2%). I am so glad I had this surgery. I have only lost 18 pounds so far (though it has only been three weeks). I would highly recommend Dr. Cirangle - the procedure and recovery time was slightly more uncomfortable than dental work. (really).

Good luck!

weight.png

I am still in my 20's for about 1.5 more weeks:-) I had my surgery in early August and am so glad that I did! I think it's wonderful you are looking into this now. I was also self-pay, but paid quite a bit more than others because I needed to stay pretty local. I have found this board to be super helpful with very supportive members. Good luck in your research!

My only regret is that this wasn't avail when I was in my twenties. I hear great things about Dr. Aceves in MX, and very reasonable. Mine was w/Dr. Cirangle in SF. Oh, and Dr. C is an excellent surgeon. This I know first hand.

Wow I am really starting to like this site! I have already learned so much from all of you. I found it "crazy" & shocking how many people answered my Q: it so awesome and thank you everyone who did write back to me. My up date is that this Wednesday Im going to the Weight Loss Surgery Seminar:biggrin0: Kinda of scared of what to expect!!! I will let yall know how it goes. Im sooo ready for change!