Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The smell of "good" food

I just got back from Walmart where I went to get fixins for some more chicken broth. Just walking into the place near the Subway Sandwich shop and the Deli made me so HEAD hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the aroma of fresh baked bread, etc, etc, etc...you get the picture.

I reflected on what my sleeve was feeling, and it was not the usual churning hunger that I would feel when going in there before a meal...but the aromas were so fabulous...

It is a good thing that this sleeve is such a restrictive tool...at this point I could not have "cheated" if I'd wanted to, because it could cause a leak and threaten my life...knowing that helped me focus more on the 25 lbs I've lost so far, and the future weight that I am going to see leave these bones.

I made a mental note to avoid going through that entrance from now on, and probably better to go in the evening when they are not cooking all that aromatic stuff. Gotta protect this sleeve! Clears for me, for one more week!

I just got back from Walmart where I went to get fixins for some more chicken broth. Just walking into the place near the Subway Sandwich shop and the Deli made me so HEAD hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the aroma of fresh baked bread, etc, etc, etc...you get the picture.

I reflected on what my sleeve was feeling, and it was not the usual churning hunger that I would feel when going in there before a meal...but the aromas were so fabulous...

It is a good thing that this sleeve is such a restrictive tool...at this point I could not have "cheated" if I'd wanted to, because it could cause a leak and threaten my life...knowing that helped me focus more on the 25 lbs I've lost so far, and the future weight that I am going to see leave these bones.

I made a mental note to avoid going through that entrance from now on, and probably better to go in the evening when they are not cooking all that aromatic stuff. Gotta protect this sleeve! Clears for me, for one more week!

P.S- Congrats on a less than 40 BMI! That is GREAT!:)

The smells of good foods got to me day 1 in the hospital! The lady on the other side of the curtain had great foods coming in since her family came to visit her often and brought he lunches and dinners, Snacks etc. I did however have hunger pangs in my tummy! Lot's of hunger. I am sort of glad that so far the only thing that has changed is my taste for intensely sweet things. The sweet I enjoyed before no longer appeals to me.

Stay away from costco on Saturdays when they have people set up on just about every aisle cooking samples. Lee used to just about make lunch out of that! I could, very easily, but most of it isn't very healthy.

I am glad I read your comments, because now I will be more aware of this after I have surgery and maybe I can avoid some of the same situations. I love the smell of "good food" and I have wondered how hard it will be after surgery to face those kinds of temptations. Thanks for your comments!!

Good for you! You resisted the temptation, I look at those things as evil things, monsters lurking wanting to destroy you for ever. . .demons that want to see you weak and fail. . . No, I'm not sleeved yet but I must maintain this "svelt" 330 lbs!:svengo: Can't let temptation make me more fatter. . . heavens to goodness!! What I do, even now as an obese woman (it's hell being overweight) is when the good smells tempt me, I think the following "I have the control, not my gut" "I'm the one who makes the decisions, not my gut" And being the way I am I usually win. . . makes you wonder why I got to 330 in the first place huh????? GOOD QUESTION. . . .probably weakness:cursing: But we can all overcome and win this battle. .we have the tools (I'll have mine in January) bygum lets use 'em!!!

Edited by thinoneday

Our local sainsburys has an instore bakery and the smell of the donuts makes me feel sick now. Before it made me hungry!!

The smell of "good" food backfired on me too many times. I ate it, but then I was sick, or felt sluggish for hours afterwards. So I just don't bother now. I have a hard time with any type of bread so I don't do subway for that exact reason, but I do love the smell of it!

I can do the good smells without wanting it - we were at the mall last night and they were baking pretzels - I said "man that smells so good" and Bearded said "I'm not even hungry." I said "I'm not the least bit hungry, but it still smells good."

I can do the good smells without wanting it - we were at the mall last night and they were baking pretzels - I said "man that smells so good" and Bearded said "I'm not even hungry." I said "I'm not the least bit hungry, but it still smells good."
Same thing happens with me. Sometimes the cafeteria food smells good at school! My husband's family always does a huge Sunday lunch, and I want to eat everything, but I go for the meat first and after I'm done with that I don't want anything else!

I have a BIG OLE QUESTION....what will we NEVER be able to eat again? Is bread off limits? What foods can we NOT eat after being sleeved and healed completely.

The friend of mine that got sleeved and initially got me interested said she is just now able to eat 1/2 hamburger. Is that a bad idea?

There is NOTHING that is off limits - you have a fully functioning stomach, only smaller, so you can eat anything, only not as much. Now, that being said, if you don't make smart choices and choose to eat bad things, then you will gain weight. But, as far as there being anything that is totally off limits, the answer is no. If that makes sense to you. 1/2 a hamburger isn't bad - I would have eaten the meat, but not the bun, then had some veggies instead.

Edited by VegasAngel

I couldn't eat 1/2 a hamburger. I am 6 months out. It leaves me feeling stodgy, so I choose something else. Like a salad, I would never ever have thought that a salad would satisfy me, but surprisingly it does! I'd rather the salad over the burger anyday.