Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting! Getting closer to having my VSG surgery!

Hello, I am here to tell my story. I decided to have surgery almost a year ago. I went to one of Dr. Husted's seminars and began the process of my weigh-ins, tests, and learning about the surgery procedure. I have completed all my tests. If the last test results come back "ok" Thursday, then I will be ready to turn them in to the surgeon. I am also waiting for my phyciatric evaluation to be turned in this week or next. Right after they receive this information, they will submit it to my insurance to see if I am approved for the VSG surgery and if I am, I will receive my pre-op packet with my surgery date. I will begin my pre-op diet of milk shakes. Dr. Husted told me that I would be on the pre-op diet for two weeks before the surgery. I started my weigh-ins the month of Feb. 2009 and my weight was at 253. I have lost and gained several times. My weight reached upwards to 266 and I weighed in at 244 this month. I am hoping that I will lose some more with the pre-op diet. I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, arthritis, fybromyalgia, mixed connective tissue autoimmune disorder and some other health issues related to my obesity. I have had a total knee replacement last year, now I don't have to walk with a cane! I am waiting, hoping and praying that I will be approved for the surgery. I want to have the surgery and lose weight to live a longer healthier life. I am learning many things from all the people who are posting on these forums, and I hope one day soon that I will be able to help others from my experience. Thank you all for being here!!! I will try to keep you updated on my surgery date, and my progress.

Edited by mountain_lover

Hello mountain-lover,

Welcome to the vst family. I'm from KY too. I will be having my surgery this week.

You will find a lot of support and info. on this board. Please just ask anything you want to know and the nice people here will jump right in to help.

I look forward to hearing about your journey.

Good morning and welcome to our forums. We are definitely glad to have you join us. All of us will keep our fingers and toes crossed in hopes of your getting your approval. Keep us posted on how things are going.

Welcome MountainLover and thank you for sharing your story - it sounds as though things are moving right along. I am sure you will pass your tests and everything will get sent to your insurance company. I hope the wait is not long for you to find out you're approved and to get your surgery date. Keep us all posted.

Mountain_lover

Welcome! We are here to offer support so if you have any questions, meet any bumps on the road, want to share your successes, or just need to talk, let us know. We are happy to have you on the forum.

Hello everyone,

I decided to check in and I was very surprised to see all of your replies. It helps at a time like this to know that I am not alone. I have had another small set back, but I am sure it will work out. I went to the doctor today to get the result of my H_Pyloria (sp?) test. I had tested positive and had to be put on the two week Prev-Pak, and went in for blood work a few days ago to see if the Prev-Pak took care of the stomach infection. Well the Doctor told me that they did not have the right test done and they would have to do a different one. One good thing, I did not have to give more blood, because the lab keeps your blood work for 7 days. So I will find out by Saturday if the new test is negative for H-pyloria. If it is positive, I will have to start another Prev-Pak and the Doctor told me that I would have to be seen by a GI doctor. I am hoping that the new test is negative so that I will be closer to my surgery being approved. I talked to my councelor and she is going to turn in my Psychological evaluation as soon as possible, within a week or so.

My child came down with type A flu which could possibly be A influenza or the Swine flu. The children's clinic test only lets you know what type it is. At the hospital, their test shows if it is the swine flu. I hope and pray that he gets better soon, he is on Tamiflu medicine to help fight the virus, and hoping that I stay well to take care of him.

I have one more thing to tell you, then I have to get to sleep. I went to the Y to exercise Thursday evening, I have only been 3-4 times, I got on the treadmill and I did not know how to operate the buttons and it was set on a high speed (5), so you know what happened next. Right, I landed on my knees and the emergeny stop did not stop it, and I landed flat and right off the end. Everyone ran over to me to see if I was ok, I was shook up and my knees were hurting, but I got right back on and went for 10 minutes at a lower speed. I had a total knee replacement last year, I hope I didn't mess anything up. I have two bruised knees, one sore elbow and my back hurts. I told my daughter that now I have experience knowing how to fall off of a treadmill. We had a good laugh, she said, "Well MoM, now you are no longer a treadmill virgin". I told her I am not going to give up, I am going to hang in there! They say weight is easy to put on, and hard to take off, I can tell you it is 100% true!! And My Journey Is Only Beginning!! (Ha-Ha) Thanks for all your comments!!

Ouch!!! that must have really hurt!

Welcome to the fourm! I wish you the best of luck through your WLS journey. It sounds like you are a fighter & that's great. Good for you for getting back on the horse, er...treadmill! :thumbup:

Interesting on the H-Pylori diagnosis. I just found out yesterday that I have it too. Getting ready to pickup my prescription. I never heard of this before. Didn't have any symptoms, don't know how long I've had it, and never would have known if I wasn't having the surgery. :001_tongue: My Dr. told me that they will just check my breath to see if it's cleared up.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with H-Pylori? Is it common? :thumbup:

Hugs,

JoAnne

Interesting on the H-Pylori diagnosis. I just found out yesterday that I have it too. Getting ready to pickup my prescription. I never heard of this before. Didn't have any symptoms, don't know how long I've had it, and never would have known if I wasn't having the surgery. :001_tongue: My Dr. told me that they will just check my breath to see if it's cleared up.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with H-Pylori? Is it common? :thumbup:

Hugs,

JoAnne

JoAnne

It's not uncommon. Very treatable with medications. If not treated it can cause gastric ulcers.

Welcome to the fourm! I wish you the best of luck through your WLS journey. It sounds like you are a fighter & that's great. Good for you for getting back on the horse, er...treadmill! :001_tt1:

Thank you!

I went out of state for my son's wedding. I just arrived back home on Monday evening. I have been on the internet reading more about H-Pyloria and I decided to check out the VSG forum. I am going to go see my doctor today (Tuesday Oct.6) to see if they received my test results back to see if the H-Pyloria infection was cleared up by the Prev-Pac I took last month. I also am going to see my counscelor and ask her if she is finished with my Psychological Evaluation. As soon as I get a negative H-Pyloria test and turn it in to the Bariatric Center along with the Psych. Eval. , then all the information will be submitted to the insurance company for see if surgery will be approved.

I am hanging in there, and willing to keep on fighting for what I believe will change my health and life. I am happy that I finally came to the VSG forum, because I need all the support I can get; family, friends, VSGers, God and my Bariatric Doctor---Dr. Husted and everyone at his office!!!

Everyone's comments are very helpful! Thank you all for your support!!

Here is what I found on the subject. . . . hope it helps a bit. . . thanks, this is copy and paste, it doesn't come from me. . .

H. pylori infection occurs when a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infects your stomach or the first part of your small intestine.

H. pylori infection is thought to be present in about half the people in the world. For many people, H. pylori infection causes no signs or symptoms and doesn't lead to any complications. But for others, H. pylori can lead to serious complications, such as ulcers and stomach cancer.

In the United States, H. pylori infection rates are declining. In turn, the rates of serious complications are also declining.

Most cases of H. pylori infection produce no signs or symptoms. Signs or symptoms that can occur with H. pylori infection include:

• An ache or burning pain in your abdomen
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Frequent burping
  • Bloating
  • Weight loss

When to see a doctor

Make an appointment with your doctor if you notice any persistent signs and symptoms that worry you.

Seek immediate medical help if you experience:

• Severe or persistent abdominal pain
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Bloody or black tarry stools
  • Bloody or black vomit or vomit that looks like coffee grounds

H. pylori infection is caused by the H. pylori bacterium. H. pylori is primarily passed from person to person through direct contact with saliva or fecal matter. H. pylori can also be spread through untreated Water.

H. pylori bacteria enter your body through your mouth and passes into your digestive system. The stomach and its stomach acid make a hostile environment for many bacteria. But the H. pylori bacterium is especially well-adapted for survival in the stomach. It produces an enzyme that, through a series of biochemical processes, creates a low-acid buffer zone for itself.

Edited by thinoneday

I am just here to let everyone know that I received the H-Pyloria test results back and they are NEGATIVE!!! ALRIGHT, one step closer to getting everything ready to turn into the insurance company. Now as far as I know I only have to turn in the Psych. Eval. then I will be on my way to getting a possible approval for the VSG surgery.

I am stuck on 244 pounds. I need to try harder to get more pounds off. I have not been able to go to the Y, but I might be able to go on Saturday. After my car accident, I started saving money for a car. It is so different having to depend on others to take me everywhere. I am also trying to save money for the Protein milkshakes and Vitamins for pre-op and post-op. I am not going to give up, I will get over these hurdles with God's help.

I have not been feeling well this week, I have caught a bug of some kind, don't know if it what my son had or just a bad cold. No fever just tired, coughing and a headache. I am going to the doctor if this doesn't get better in a few days. I want it all cleared up before having surgery. I don't want anything to stand in the way of being approved for the VSG surgery.

I will let you all know how things are progressing. Thanks for being here!!

MtnLover- great news on the negative test -- hang in there, the rest will come - God always provides. I hope you get to feeling better; hopefully just a bug and it will move along soon - get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids -- try some theraflu, too, I hear it works wonders!