Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night Eating - Sleep Eating???

What I mean by sleep eating is waking up in the middle of the night and digging in the fridge for whatever and eating, not realizing you did it till you wake up and see a spoon with Peanut Butter residue or bread crumbs, etc.

I did this alot before I was banded. I know for a fact that eating at night or while I practically slept (cuz I really had no idea I did it till the morning) contributed alot to my weight gain past few years.

I almost started to slip once since I was banded but I figured out a way that will make sure this won't happen to me till I can retrain my brain and it out of my system. Sounds crazy but I have gotten a bike chain with a combination and have my husband and son lock the fridge at night. I refuse to know the combination. :huytsao I put Cereal and Peanut Butter, (my biggest night food) in the fridge so that it won't jump in my sleepy mouth. Funny thing is, I don't eat these items or ate them during the daytime, only at night when I wasn't aware.

It's working. No weight re-gain yet and no night sleep walk eating. Anyone experiencing this weird late night occurance, sleep disturbance?

Hey Telly, looks like you found the solution for you :)

I can't relate as I have never done any sleep eating, but I am sure you aren't alone. I do turn my alarm clock off while I sleep though.

LOL..you poor thing. I've heard about this but have never experienced it myself. I'm glad that you found a solution.

Yeah, my father and mother used to do it. My dad would wake up at 2am and I'd hear him and wake up too. I'd find him eating a huge bowl of Cereal and over the years in college, I found myself doing it too. Weird huh? I got a neice that does it now.

Night binging and not remembering the events are associated with sleeping pills. I have not heard of anyone with your experiences but I sure do applaud your creativity in finding a workable solution. LOL.

I don't use sleeping pills, never did. I asked my husband that I should get some b/c I stay awake late but he read a recent article about the sleeping pill Ambien. He read that the drug study showed a big % of the sleep study patients had gained alot of weight from night eating and binging. That's freaky.

I don't think though that having a tablespoon of Peanut Butter or a bowl of cereal is binging ...or is it?

I am with you Telly Melly...not really sleep eating, but on my way to sleep when everyone else is asleep and I can eat in peace. I have tried to curtail it since being banded or at least make a better choice (if my willpower is gone) like a sip of Isopure. I may have to get a bike chain...good idea! Or at least close the pantry fully, because it creaks when I open it....

NJ girl, my grandmother used to own this light sensor pig...that you put in the fridge or in the cubbard. So when the cabinet or fridge door would open...it would Oink. LOL!

I remember asking her why she had it in there and Grandpa said... "Cuz Grandma sneaks in there at night". She wasn't too happy. Gosh this thing has been around for 20+ years. I need to go look for those.

OINK, OINK...just what I need! LOL That's great!

Thanks for the infor GeezerSue

I took Ambien for years and never had the sleep eating reported. I might be the exception to the rule. I am not taking Lunesta and it seems to be working like a dream. GET IT DREAM!! LOL!! I kill me.

Seriously though I hope I never go through the sleep eating mentioned.

When I was really little (4) I remember getting up in the middle of the night, turning the T.V. on the snow/ant station.. (you know the one where nothing is there) and having a big glass of Water. I would sit on the top of a big oversized chair. Not in the seat but at the top. Scared the crap outta my parents when they discovered what I was doing. I didn't know it when I was doing it... but I have very vivid memories of doing it now.

I have no clue how long this went on for. It is really strange that I did that since I was so afraid of the dark and wouldn't even get out of bed without one of my parents there. Thank goodness I wasn't downing Cookies, I would have been a lot bigger.

TellyMelly,

I do this too. Not so much now that I'm banded.... but I used to quite a bit. If I have anything in the house that I remotely like, I'll 'get up' in the middle of the night and eat it. Pre-made Rice Krispy Squares, granola bars... NUTELLA! That was the worst. I'd never know I did it until the next morning when there were wrappers by my bed, or a chocolatey spoon. I don't use sleeping pills either.

A friend of mine has this really bad... she'll actually wake up and MAKE things, like chocolate puff wheat cake... then wake up in the morning with chocolate smeared all over her face, hands and bed. Luckily I'm pretty clean with what I do!

Mandi

I've done this as well only I wasn't asleep really. I would get up in the night to let the dog out to pee and would just open the fridge door and stuff my face as quickly as I could. I didn't *know* what I was doing. There was no thought to it. It just sort of happened. Just mindless stuffing. I remember my favorite was to take bologna and pour taco sauce down the center then roll it up and eat it. Weird.

Since being banded on having my blood sugars all level out, I sleep soundly through the night. When I get up to let the dog out I just stand there while she goes and then we scurry back off to bed. No Snacks. More weirdness.