Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sleeved and at home!

Well everyone, i was sleeved on 9-15-09 @ 7:30 am. I will try to get as detailed as possible because prior to being sleeved, I wanted to know all the details.

I arrived to the hospital at 6 am with my mom and fiance. They took me to my room to start my IV, which they did without a problem. At around 7am, I was taken to preop holding but my family was unable to go back there. So we said our goodbyes (I wanted to cry but I didnt). LOL

While in Preop holding the anesthesiologist came to speak with me regarding my medical history, etc. I told him that I was nervous and he reassured me. My preop nurse spoke with me as well and helped to calm my nerves and finally my surgeon Dr Alanis came to speak with me and I was a nervous wreck at this point. Dr Alanis re-assured me that I was in good hands. I was then rolled into the OR as Dr Alanis went to speak with my family.

The OR nurse turned on some music and asked me if I mind if they had music on, I said no. I knew this was something common in the OR, since I have worked in the OR setting before, we would listen to music while we worked.

Anyway, the anesthesiologist put some medicine in my IV and all I remember saying is "When am I going to go to sleep". After that everything else is a blur, so lets say I was probably asleep in less than 10 seconds. LOL

The next thing I remember, the surgical crew was telling me how fantastic I did and how easy my procedure was. I was under for approximately one hour and 30 minutes (thats including instrument counting, hiatal hernia repair etc).

Oh yeah, the doc found a hiatal hernia that he repaired. I had no idea that I had one.

I was whisked away to the ICU (which is standard procedure for my surgeon), my family was in the room waiting for me. We laughed and I dozed off. My family left and came back later.

The nursing staff was awesome!! Im a nurse and I have never seen the nurse to patient ratio staffing that they had in their ICU and Med Surg units. They woke me up faithfully every two hours for breathing exercises and ambulating. Oh yeah, I received Lactated Ringers via IV as well as some medication for my stomach--I was so sedated I dont remember what it was. I was also on a morphine pump. My highest level of pain was probably a 5 out of 10, with 10 being the highest. The worst is the gas pain, which was worst on the left side, which is where I heard is where all the activity is done on.

I went for my final leak test the next morning---I passed no leaks. I was then transferred to the med surg floor. The nurses were awesome, I plan to go back up there to give them flowers or something, Ive never seen such level of nursing care. Even on the med surg unit, which is known to be the busiest, they made sure that I ambulated, did my breathing exercises and sipped on fluids.

So I was discharged today around 11:30 am on the following meds:

1. Carafate (which Walgreens is out of, will have to get it tommorrow)- this protects the mucosal lining of the stomach.

2. liquid hydrocodone

3. Pepcid

So all in all, it wasnt a bad experience. I am still sore in the abdominal region and I have not felt hungry at all. Can you believe that? I know I can't. The hardest part is not being able to sleep on my belly, as I have always slept on my stomach.

Oh yeah, I lost -.06 lbs, which is good because I hear that alot of people are pumped full of fluids that they tend to gain. My tummy is slightly rumbly, I dont really know why, im sure its trying to get use to its new size and how to produce the acid.

Well that was my experience, now im focusing on walking, sipping and breathing exercises. Thanks to all for lending support during this journey.:cursing:

Glad you're on the road to recovery!

Thanks for sharing Shanda - sounds like everything went smoothly just like it should. I didn't know I had a hiatal hernia either -- I think that is pretty common and it's nice that some doctors go ahead and fix it while they are in there and don't charge extra for it.

Keep on walking and sipping girl -- it will be awhile before you can sleep on your stomach; so hopefully you have another position (or you'll soon develop one) in which to sleep.< /strong>

Kepp us posted on your progress - welcome Sleeve Sista to the losing side :cursing:

Congratulations! I was just catching up on posts and I saw your last one that said the next time you posted you'd be sleeved. So glad to hear you're already home!

Thank you for the detailed description of your surgery. It is definitely appreciated (as someone who is hoping to have surgery). What is a lactated ringer? I don't think I've heard of that before.

I look forward to hearing about your progress in the coming months!

Congratulations! I was just catching up on posts and I saw your last one that said the next time you posted you'd be sleeved. So glad to hear you're already home!

Thank you for the detailed description of your surgery. It is definitely appreciated (as someone who is hoping to have surgery). What is a lactated ringer? I don't think I've heard of that before.

I look forward to hearing about your progress in the coming months!

Lactated Ringers or Ringers Lactate is a an isotonic solution (which means it has similiar components to our blood). Generally used after surgery or trauma to restore any fluids lost.

Thank you so much for following me. It has been exciting, I cannot wait to see the scale move down. I figured all the details would help and im sure since you are having it, it helps you to mentally prepare yourself.

Shanda, it is good to hear from you. Congrats on your surgery and glad to hear that you were treated so well.

Well everyone, i was sleeved on 9-15-09 @ 7:30 am. I will try to get as detailed as possible because prior to being sleeved, I wanted to know all the details.

I arrived to the hospital at 6 am with my mom and fiance. They took me to my room to start my IV, which they did without a problem. At around 7am, I was taken to preop holding but my family was unable to go back there. So we said our goodbyes (I wanted to cry but I didnt). LOL

While in Preop holding the anesthesiologist came to speak with me regarding my medical history, etc. I told him that I was nervous and he reassured me. My preop nurse spoke with me as well and helped to calm my nerves and finally my surgeon Dr Alanis came to speak with me and I was a nervous wreck at this point. Dr Alanis re-assured me that I was in good hands. I was then rolled into the OR as Dr Alanis went to speak with my family.

The OR nurse turned on some music and asked me if I mind if they had music on, I said no. I knew this was something common in the OR, since I have worked in the OR setting before, we would listen to music while we worked.

Anyway, the anesthesiologist put some medicine in my IV and all I remember saying is "When am I going to go to sleep". After that everything else is a blur, so lets say I was probably asleep in less than 10 seconds. LOL

The next thing I remember, the surgical crew was telling me how fantastic I did and how easy my procedure was. I was under for approximately one hour and 30 minutes (thats including instrument counting, hiatal hernia repair etc).

Oh yeah, the doc found a hiatal hernia that he repaired. I had no idea that I had one.

I was whisked away to the ICU (which is standard procedure for my surgeon), my family was in the room waiting for me. We laughed and I dozed off. My family left and came back later.

The nursing staff was awesome!! Im a nurse and I have never seen the nurse to patient ratio staffing that they had in their ICU and Med Surg units. They woke me up faithfully every two hours for breathing exercises and ambulating. Oh yeah, I received Lactated Ringers via IV as well as some medication for my stomach--I was so sedated I dont remember what it was. I was also on a morphine pump. My highest level of pain was probably a 5 out of 10, with 10 being the highest. The worst is the gas pain, which was worst on the left side, which is where I heard is where all the activity is done on.

I went for my final leak test the next morning---I passed no leaks. I was then transferred to the med surg floor. The nurses were awesome, I plan to go back up there to give them flowers or something, Ive never seen such level of nursing care. Even on the med surg unit, which is known to be the busiest, they made sure that I ambulated, did my breathing exercises and sipped on fluids.

So I was discharged today around 11:30 am on the following meds:

1. Carafate (which Walgreens is out of, will have to get it tommorrow)- this protects the mucosal lining of the stomach.

2. Liquid hydrocodone

3. Pepcid

So all in all, it wasnt a bad experience. I am still sore in the abdominal region and I have not felt hungry at all. Can you believe that? I know I can't. The hardest part is not being able to sleep on my belly, as I have always slept on my stomach.

Oh yeah, I lost -.06 lbs, which is good because I hear that alot of people are pumped full of fluids that they tend to gain. My tummy is slightly rumbly, I dont really know why, im sure its trying to get use to its new size and how to produce the acid.

Well that was my experience, now im focusing on walking, sipping and breathing exercises. Thanks to all for lending support during this journey.:cursing:

Thank you so much for sharing. I am new to this forum as my first choice was the Lap Band. Now that I have been reaserching things more, I think the sleeve would be a better fit for me. My questions is how long is the down time? I am a single mom with 2 kids (4 and 7). So you can imagine how I need a speedy recovery. How long is the surgery? How long are you under? The anasthesia is what scares me the most. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Kaiser Harbor City ( Los Angeles) is doing my surgery and I finally have my consult this Monday (09/21/09) I am so nervouse and anxious at the same time. I have been in the process for OVER a year. Thanks again ... :thumbup:

Thank you for posting all the information. I love the hear peoples storys and your surgery sounds like it went well. I am considering the surgery and wondering if I can really do it and it is always helpful to read from someone who has been thru it. I will be anxious to read your updates:001_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing. I am new to this forum as my first choice was the Lap Band. Now that I have been reaserching things more, I think the sleeve would be a better fit for me. My questions is how long is the down time? I am a single mom with 2 kids (4 and 7). So you can imagine how I need a speedy recovery. How long is the surgery? How long are you under? The anasthesia is what scares me the most. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Kaiser Harbor City ( Los Angeles) is doing my surgery and I finally have my consult this Monday (09/21/09) I am so nervouse and anxious at the same time. I have been in the process for OVER a year. Thanks again ... :thumbup:

I was under for like an hour and a half. The actual surgery is less than that because they have to prep, count instruments, etc. Its normal to be nervous, I was VERY nervous. I kept wondering, what if I dont wake up, etc. etc. Dont let the anesthesia scare you, actually thats the best part because you dont remember anything. LOL. I just felt as if I had taken a nap and when they begin to wake me up, I woke up without a problem at all. I say do it, life is too short for us to live in fear. :cursing:

If we continue to live in fear, we will never change! I am so ready to reach my goal weight, I just dont know what to do! We take risks when we get in a car, airplane, go to work, etc. We never know whats going to happen anyway. Take a chance on your life and your health, you are worth it.

Thank you all, this forum has been so supportive during this journey. I could not wait to come and tell you the details of my procedure. I cannot wait to see the scale start moving and all--that is the ultimate reward. So for now, I will continue to sip, ambulate and do my breathing exercises.

so good to have you back, Shanda. I am so glad it all went so well for you.

now you need to add one of those weight loss ticker slides to keep tabs on the weight loss! Keep well!

so good to have you back, Shanda. I am so glad it all went so well for you.

now you need to add one of those weight loss ticker slides to keep tabs on the weight loss! Keep well!

You are right, I think I will just add that ticker now!