Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you manage the trip home?

Hey Stoongal-

Clue the rest of us in on these "seat sales." I paid more than that just going from Portland to SF and back.

I wish you and OrchidFan much success with your surgery. Keep us posted. I hope the trip home goes well.

Best wishes,

Thanks Oregan Rose,

seat sale prices are something Air Canada sends me all the time as I flew with them last yr. I also checked with West Jet. Shirley, the patient coordinator for Emmanuel, found the prices good and the flights more direct thru United. It is something like playing detective, so many links to try thru Velocity etc. try googling when you are searching too.

We will definitely keep you posted on our progress. So far I am the only one in the over 70 forum. Hope to be a good example for the seniors out there.

I post pictures too, as you can tell, I am not shy! :cursing:

Hey, great! Is this a regular support group? I havent been able to find one locally for wls people.

Ivy

this one I believe is an informational meeting, BUT 2 of us are going to have our surgeries soon and, if you come, that will be three, so the support groups will start when we get back, first Monday of each month - I think she said. I want to go to this one as another resource person who has made the choice and found out many answers etc.

Would you like a ride there on Wed? I live south of the city, and used to work at Cosmo Civic center many years ago. (at the daycare there at one time)

As I said before call me if I can be of any help. 244 1452

Donna :cursing:

OMG - I want to join too! I am having my surgery with Dr. Aceves on the 28th! Now I will know someone else there! My return flight is through Denver and came in below $600 - I thought that was a pretty good deal. My only worry is the quick turnaround between flights on the way home - I plan on only bringing a small suitcase so that I don't have to check any bags and will ask for help in storing it in the overhead bins.

Susan (another Saskatoonian)

I was leaning towards only a carry-on too, but then decided that I wouln'd be able to take my pillow along then as it is latex and heavier than most pillows. So am taking one bag that will be checked, then I can have the freedom of arrying only my purse when changing planes and walking around Denver airport between flights.

Please join us Wed for the meeting! the more the merrier!

What are the meeting details? Where, when and why...

check on Kijiji, look up under weight loss. You will find all the info there.

Cheers:001_cool:

Thanks so much for the info - they have a great site - lots of info. I'm not sure that I will be organized enough to get to this weeks meeting but please find out if it is only for that specific clinic or for any VSGers. I am going to do my pre-op shopping now - will probably be a loooonnngg day as I don't think that one store will have everything that I want to get ahead of time.

will do, Bookgirl!

and now for another question about the trip home..comfy clothing...hmmmmI don't have a dress, everything else has an elastic waistband - all quite snug, bras I hate to wear at the best of time, I am assuming the incision sites are where you want the pressure off, right? are there any incisions below the waistband? If I pull up some of my longer pants so the waist band is up under the bra, will that be in the way of incisions?

How did you manage this issue? Anyone?

I bought a loose fitting, all cotton sports bra, no wire, and it snapped in the front. I had a baggy shirt, no panties (sorry for the too much info), and I had plenty of stretchy pants that were not too snug around my stomach.

Me too, Tiffy. I bought some really loose, baggy sweats. I also about a really big sundress, but didn't need it, nothing touched my incisions. We drove home the next day from SF to Sac, and I was pretty doped up still. They didn't d/c my PC until right before I was discharged. That made it very pleasant for me.

I wore my regular bra; however, none of my incisions were on the bra line, so it was fine - I also wore a loose top and stretchy pants with an elastic waistband that didn't push on any of the incisions. A dress would be great; however, not sure how comfotable it would be flying

Also - if you're checking in your luggage - be sure to keep anything valuable (jewelry) and your medication with you on your carry-on. Even though we drove, I was able to get everything I needed, including my pillow, into a carryon size bag. Don't take too much -- you really won't need all that much - you'll sleep alot, even if you think you want to watch a movie - you'll miss most of it -- I drifted off trying to type on my computer.

I bought two cotton jersey long night gowns with sleeves because I was afraid of elastic around my waist after surgery. Boy was I glad I did.

My lowest incision near my waist hurt the worst and is still very tender.

I also brought a dress and slip. I wore it home from the hospital, to my post-op doctor's appointment, and on my flight home. There is no way I would have wanted elastic anywhere near my waist. Be sure to wear below the waist panties.

If you don't have a dress, just buy something cheap or wear supper, super lose pants.

The bra was never an issue for me.

PCA is a patient controlled anesthesia. You press a button and it gives you pain meds. Oh, d/c = discontinue.

So I got to pump in pain meds until the min I was discharged. I slept much of the way home.

OT (off topic) Have you post-ops had any weird food dreams? I had a dream I started to binge on a big bowl of popcorn, dripping with cups of that digusting bright yellow diet margarine. Yuk, then I tossed my Cookies.

Edited by Steph_123

I had mentioned to someone about possibly upgrading to first class if there is room and they said they might not let me board if they know I just had surgery.... what do you guys think about this? Can they deny you to board if you have a ticket for heavens sakes?